Sibila Vargas is Noon and 6 p.m co-anchor at WNBC

Daybreak

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is where the problem is. Yes, Shiba replaced Sue, but she is not trying to be Sue, she is just filling Sue's spot. I think this is similar to Savannah Guthrie, she got hit for replacing Ann Curry, Shiba is getting hit because she replaced Sue Simmons. Quite frankly, I think it is unfair to Shiba to have to replace Sue because it makes her look bad.

Also, I get that there are some serious Sue lovers here but seriously, she has been gone for over a year, move on.

I think this is where the problem is. Yes, Shiba replaced Sue, but she is not trying to be Sue, she is just filling Sue's spot. I think this is similar to Savannah Guthrie, she got hit for replacing Ann Curry, Shiba is getting hit because she replaced Sue Simmons. Quite frankly, I think it is unfair to Shiba to have to replace Sue because it makes her look bad.

Also, I get that there are some serious Sue lovers here but seriously, she has been gone for over a year, move on.

You are so right. When you actually watch Shiba, she isn't a bad anchor. She's actually real good but people lost their minds when they saw her replace Sue. If you are mad, don't send her hate, tell that to management who ultimately makes the decisions.

http://ftvlive.com/todays-news/2013/9/3/youll-need-a-lineup-card-to-watch-wnbc

It's interesting how its pointed out that with the hiring of Sibila Vargas WNBC is the only major station with a different anchor team on all of its weekday newscasts...however wnbc has always done this throughout the 1980's and 90's with their weekday evening anchor rotation...I like this cause it makes each newscast feel fresh...WABC does this now too in the evenings.

http://ftvlive.com/todays-news/2013/9/3/youll-need-a-lineup-card-to-watch-wnbc

It's interesting how its pointed out that with the hiring of Sibila Vargas WNBC is the only major station with a different anchor team on all of its weekday newscasts...however wnbc has always done this throughout the 1980's and 90's with their weekday evening anchor rotation...I like this cause it makes each newscast feel fresh...WABC does this now too in the evenings.

Just like you mentioned, WABC has a different lineup too for all of it's evening newscast.

http://tunedinnyc.com/2013/08/30/sibila-vargas-in-is-shiba-russell-on-the-way-out-at-wnbc/

This is interesting what does everyone think?

IMHO I think Shiba & Tom are better team then Shiba & Chuck, so my guess is once Chuck retires Tom will replace Chuck on 11 and Rob will replace Chuck on the 6 thoughts?

Forgot to add this is assuming Rob & Sibila are still with WNBC/and or the weekday newscasts. We all know how stations like to play musical anchors.

http://tunedinnyc.com/2013/08/30/sibila-vargas-in-is-shiba-russell-on-the-way-out-at-wnbc/

This is interesting what does everyone think?

IMHO I think Shiba & Tom are better team then Shiba & Chuck, so my guess is once Chuck retires Tom will replace Chuck on 11 and Rob will replace Chuck on the 6 thoughts?

Forgot to add this is assuming Rob & Sibila are still with WNBC/and or the weekday newscasts. We all know how stations like to play musical anchors.

I don't see this being a way to get rid of Shiba, I just see this as their way to make more established anchor teams to boost ratings...that being said if Sibila has much better chemistry with Chuck than Shiba you never know what changes wnbc might make in the future.

I don't see this being a way to get rid of Shiba, I just see this as their way to make more established anchor teams to boost ratings...that being said if Sibila has much better chemistry with Chuck than Shiba you never know what changes wnbc might make in the future.

True,but once Chuck retires and assuming Rob & Sibila are both still with WNBC, I could see Rob taking Chuck's spot on the 6 or Rob & Sibila taking over the 6 & 11 weekend newscast from David & Erika, and David & Erika taking the noon & 6 spot. But then again maybe WNBC is doing what KNBC is doing in regards to there female afternoon/evening anchors.

WNBC

Noon - Rob Schmitt & Sibila Vargas

5 - Tom Llamas & Shiba Russell

6 - Chuck Scarborough & Sibila Vargas

11 - Chuck Scarborough & Shiba Russell

Now compare to KNBC:

Noon - Whit Johnson & Lucy Noland

5 - Chuck Henry & Colleen Williams

6 - Chuck Henry & Lucy Noland

11 - Chuck Henry & Colleen Williams

Notice how both the Noon & 6 at both WNBC/KNBC starting next month will have the same female anchors for the noon (Sibila - WNBC, Lucy KNBC) and different male anchors for the 6 (Chuck S - WNBC/Chuck H - KNBC)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has Sibila started yet or not?

No not yet...my guess is she starts next week as Rob was soloing yesterday since typically Erika usually co-anchors at noon with him a few days a week. Although Erika was filling in for Shiba on the 5 & 11 last night in addition to anchoring the 7.

They will prob. announce it a few days before...We only heard that she would be starting in mid October and that's was back in August...Since then, nothing. I'll be expecting an announcement to come out a few days before she debuts.

I think Sibila is doing a great job. I was very impressed at how at home she seemed at the anchor desk. As TellyGenic said, she is definitely relaxed and pleasant. It's nice when co-anchors interact with each other. Had I not known better, I'd have thought she had been on WNBC for quite a long time.

Welcome, Sibila! :D

Sibila is doing a great job so far. She feels right at home at WNBC (granted she's a hometown girl). I missed her first few 6 PM shows though, does anyone know if she has co-anchored with Chuck yet and how's the chemistry between them? I caught her the other day on the 6 PM, but David was filing in for Chuck.

Archived