Sibila Vargas is Noon and 6 p.m co-anchor at WNBC

Daybreak

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Erika should've gotten the noon & 6 slot and Sibilia should've been placed on the 6 & 11 weekend slot. I think Erika is much better suited for a weekday slot and Sibilia would do better on the weekend slot but oh well. Hopefully when Chuck retires they will rearrange the anchors to something of this affect.

Weekdays:

Today in New York - Darlene & Michael

Noon & 6 David & Erika (I know noon isn't a popular newscasts, but at least it will give David the chance to anchor weekdays instead of weekends)

5 & 11 Tom & Shiba

7 - Various

Weekends

Mornings - Contessa & Pat

6 & 11 Rob & Sibilia

Erika should've gotten the noon & 6 slot and Sibilia should've been placed on the 6 & 11 weekend slot. I think Erika is much better suited for a weekday slot and Sibilia would do better on the weekend slot but oh well. Hopefully when Chuck retires they will rearrange the anchors to something of this affect.

Weekdays:

Today in New York - Darlene & Michael

Noon & 6 David & Erika (I know noon isn't a popular newscasts, but at least it will give David the chance to anchor weekdays instead of weekends)

5 & 11 Tom & Shiba

7 - Various

Weekends

Mornings - Contessa & Pat

6 & 11 Rob & Sibilia

Sorry if this is what you want to happen but this will not happen. They aren't going to hire two new people, place then on weekdays and then put them on weekends and get in house people to replace them. For whatever reason, WNBC chose not to use Erika or David, but that is there decision and the decision has been made.

Sorry if this is what you want to happen but this will not happen. They aren't going to hire two new people, place then on weekdays and then put them on weekends and get in house people to replace them. For whatever reason, WNBC chose not to use Erika or David, but that is there decision and the decision has been made.

And how do you know this won't happen? I was just saying as something that could happen and I've seen other stations doing it before. Oh and Rob and Sibiia suck as anchors. And look at Shiba she was hired on as a weekend anchor less then a year later she was doing the Noon & 5 and 6 months later she was named the 11 PM co-anchor in addition to her 5 PM duties so it can happen.

And how do you know this won't happen? I was just saying as something that could happen and I've seen other stations doing it before. Oh and Rob and Sibiia suck as anchors. And look at Shiba she was hired on as a weekend anchor less then a year later she was doing the Noon & 5 and 6 months later she was named the 11 PM co-anchor in addition to her 5 PM duties so it can happen.

I'm not saying it won't happen because anything can happen but it's very unlikely. And Shiba is not the same thing because she was being promoted (unlike what you explain which would be a demotion) plus there was a brand new newscast for her to anchor. And you don't get to anchor weekdays in America's largest TV market if you suck, if that's your opinion thats fine, but clearly the professionals think they have potential.

I'm not saying it won't happen because anything can happen but it's very unlikely. And Shiba is not the same thing because she was being promoted (unlike what you explain which would be a demotion) plus there was a brand new newscast for her to anchor. And you don't get to anchor weekdays in America's largest TV market if you suck, if that's your opinion thats fine, but clearly the professionals think they have potential.

True anything can happen and yes NY is the #1 Market and your right they do see them as having potential. But having lived in Los Angeles for a few years and actually watching both Rob & Sibilia they weren't all that great. However hopefully they can improve here in NY. BTW interesting that they are gonna have a co-anchor with Chuck for the 6 PM show after not having one since Sue was taken off the 6 PM show a few years back. Oh my list I posted was a potential of what they could do after Chuck retires, not something to do now.

Very telling http://tunedinnyc.com/2013/08/30/sibila-vargas-in-is-shiba-russell-on-the-way-out-at-wnbc/

Sibila could very well take top billing away from Shiba if she performs well.

I don't think more anchor changes are the answer. Look at WCBS, constant anchor changes but no big changes in ratings. I agree with getting Rob and Sibila to top off weekday newscasts, but after this, stop the anchor changes and have these talents gain trust from New Yorkers.

Very telling http://tunedinnyc.com/2013/08/30/sibila-vargas-in-is-shiba-russell-on-the-way-out-at-wnbc/

Sibila could very well take top billing away from Shiba if she performs well.

I really don't think that will happen because she was last place at KCBS. WNBC needs to learn patients and that's the problem with stations today. Ratings won't change tomorrow. WCBS took 15 years to have a top rated newscast at 5 and if they wanted results, they have 3 other anchors who could easily have done that (Erika, Darlene, and Contessa). It looks like everybody just bad mouthing Shiba and it was management who axed Sue and promoted Shiba. That's why when I ever get big, I'm not just going to just get a bi g job just because it was offered to me, I'm willing to wait.

Is WNBC trying to emulate Kristine Johnson with Sibila Vargas? They do look a like. Based on the videos on YouTube, she does seem to be a better anchor than Rob Schmitt. Since they know each other, maybe when she joins him at noon, she can break loosen him up a bit.

I don't think Chuck needs a co-anchor at 6pm. He, Janice and Bruce command the newscast very well. It seems like they are creating a succession plan, but I don't think this team of newbies they are transporting to New York and planning to promote is going cut it against WABC and WCBS. They still seem amateurish.

Is WNBC trying to emulate Kristine Johnson with Sibila Vargas? They do look a like. Based on the videos on YouTube, she does seem to be a better anchor than Rob Schmitt. Since they know each other, maybe when she joins him at noon, she can break loosen him up a bit.

I don't think Chuck needs a co-anchor at 6pm. He, Janice and Bruce command the newscast very well. It seems like they are creating a succession plan, but I don't think this team of newbies they are transporting to New York and planning to promote is going cut it against WABC and WCBS. They still seem amateurish.

I don't agree with Chuck anchoring with Sibila at 6. You're right, he has the gravitas and meshes so well with Janice and Bruce that nobody else is needed. Chuck is New York's anchorman.

On another note, it's odd to me that Erika and David were both passed up for weekday slots. (Re: Contessa, I think she's content with weekends)

I'm not familiar with her so I won't judge but I really hope that they get rid of Shiba Russell soon. She is a disaster and it's been over a year since she's be a main anchor and she is still terrible.

After reading these forums for quite a while, I finally registered here this morning to say exactly this. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.

I'm not familiar with her so I won't judge but I really hope that they get rid of Shiba Russell soon. She is a disaster and it's been over a year since she's be a main anchor and she is still terrible.

I don't think Shiba Russell is terrible, she is a very capable and competent anchor. She just comes off with a very cold attitude which is very hard for me to watch. I just want to be fair to her in the sense that she is sitting in a seat for someone who sat their for 32 years.

True that both Rob & Sibila came from KCBS, but I don't think I ever seen them anchoring together on air. Siblia did the weekday morning and mid-day newscasts, while Rob did weekend evenings and reporting throughout the week.

Archived