The New PIX11 Thread

nynewslover

Long Island is not New York? Who does this guy think he is? Tribune made an awful decision putting this putz in place, but Meyrowitz has to go as well.

I know, I live here on LI and have been fed up with PIX for months, if not years. They were barely out here after Sandy, Mocker never bothered reporting on the bus situation when the buses in Nassau changed hands. I have no use for the station. Haven't watched in months and now I dont plan on it ever again after hearing this. If I was Cablevision I'd take them off my lineup for that comment. Unreal the kinds of people they put in charge of these stations. I hope PIX goes under. They deserve to.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They've already been like this. I stopped watching months ago. Pretty sure the FCC will be very interested in the goings on at the station as possible conditions for terminating their license.

While I share your disdain with WPIX over the last few months, I doubt that their license will be revoked.

This direction from Mark Effron pretty much sums up why the news situation at WPIX will continue to spiral downward until top-down management overhaul is effectuated.

"Effron addressed staffers by saying that he doesn’t care about New Jersey, Long Island, Westchester and the Hudson Valley. “They’re not New Yorkers.”

While people living outside the five boroughs do not live in New York City, there is a damn good chance they work in New York City. When they return home, they may want to learn what happened in their communities while they were putting in eight or more hours laboring in Mr. Effron's land of real New Yorkers.

From a revenue standpoint, alienating the suburban audience, particularly in this market, is hardly sensible. And while New York City, especially Brooklyn and Queens, is all kick-ass and something happens there everyday, an hour-long newscast devoted exclusively to NYC proper news will prove to be content lacking very quickly. My projection: If this is the direction Tribune gives the green-light to, expect one of two things:

1. The newscast will be cropped to 30 minutes, leaving the 10:30PM time slot open to either experimentation a la WNYW's recent Rosana Scotto/Elvis Duran double-team special about going through people's stuff and jumping on mattresses or more Friends/Seinfeld reruns; or,

2. The newscast remains at 60 minutes but will bring back more commentary, fluff pieces, or Lionel. Because what newscast would be complete without Lionel?

They've already been like this. I stopped watching months ago. Pretty sure the FCC will be very interested in the goings on at the station as possible conditions for terminating their license.

While I share your disdain with WPIX over the last few months, I doubt that their license will be revoked.

The FCC has no interest in revoking their channel 11 license. First, the Hi-VHF frequencies are undesirable to the cellular companies the fcc so loves doing business with. And second, the fcc really doesn't care what a broadcast TV station does so long as the licensee doesn't shortchange the mandatory three-hour per week children's E/I service and associated filings.

There's a commercial airing saying Suki will be making a big announcement from her house tomorrow. Wonder what it'll be?

The announcement was that she is back on the AM news in 6 days.

They had Dan interviewing Suki from her house. The video was low quality SD that appeared to be internet or cellphone data network streaming.

Kinda ironic they announced it on the day before Francis is leaving.

The announcement was that she is back on the AM news in 6 days.

They had Dan interviewing Suki from her house. The video was low quality SD that appeared to be internet or cellphone data network streaming.

Kinda ironic they announced it on the day before Francis is leaving.

Based on a tweet from Frances, today was her last day.

This direction from Mark Effron pretty much sums up why the news situation at WPIX will continue to spiral downward until top-down management overhaul is effectuated.

"Effron addressed staffers by saying that he doesn’t care about New Jersey, Long Island, Westchester and the Hudson Valley. “They’re not New Yorkers.”

While people living outside the five boroughs do not live in New York City, there is a damn good chance they work in New York City. When they return home, they may want to learn what happened in their communities while they were putting in eight or more hours laboring in Mr. Effron's land of real New Yorkers.

From a revenue standpoint, alienating the suburban audience, particularly in this market, is hardly sensible. And while New York City, especially Brooklyn and Queens, is all kick-ass and something happens there everyday, an hour-long newscast devoted exclusively to NYC proper news will prove to be content lacking very quickly. My projection: If this is the direction Tribune gives the green-light to, expect one of two things:

1. The newscast will be cropped to 30 minutes, leaving the 10:30PM time slot open to either experimentation a la WNYW's recent Rosana Scotto/Elvis Duran double-team special about going through people's stuff and jumping on mattresses or more Friends/Seinfeld reruns; or,

2. The newscast remains at 60 minutes but will bring back more commentary, fluff pieces, or Lionel. Because what newscast would be complete without Lionel?

The FCC has no interest in revoking their channel 11 license. First, the Hi-VHF frequencies are undesirable to the cellular companies the fcc so loves doing business with. And second, the fcc really doesn't care what a broadcast TV station does so long as the licensee doesn't shortchange the mandatory three-hour per week children's E/I service and associated filings.

I think it's gonna be more fluff, expect longer Mende, Lionel, and Mocker segments. Though it is possible they could cut it down to 30 mins. With WNYW doing this, I watched less as well. I like an hour long newscast. 30 mins is often too rushed. Which is why my evening viewing is now WLNY weekdays (which has improved, somewhat) and WABC on weekends. Fios 1 News remains an utter joke, Jim Watkins deserves a much better place to work than that. None of this surprises me as I've said before, PIX mgmt has always ignored the suburbs, they are now taking it to a whole new level. It is a shame the FCC doesn't require them to operate a newscast that serves their entire broadcast area, I know the days of "serving the public" are long gone. :confused:

No goodbye on air from Frances, here is her final moments on WPIX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elS4qQX5jZo

(go to end of video)

1) That is one of the most unprofessional segments I've ever seen. Did Liz Cho, Rosanna Scotto, or Diana Williams ever tell us if they breastfeed? And...do we really need to know?

2) Kind of insulting to Frances to have to trump up the return of your co-anchor...on your last day of work after being given the bump.

WPIX is a joke.

Man, this station used to be great when I was little. I used to watch the Morning News, and Kids WB when it was on. Now I know it had a lot more before the WB. Since I'm now a Trekkie, it was the home of all the syndicated Star Trek series. And before Kids WB they had Disney cartoons and VR Troopers. Now look at it, a shadow of its' former self. I would honestly go straight to their offices and whack the incompetents with a rolled-up newspaper.

1) That is one of the most unprofessional segments I've ever seen. Did Liz Cho, Rosanna Scotto, or Diana Williams ever tell us if they breastfeed? And...do we really need to know?

2) Kind of insulting to Frances to have to trump up the return of your co-anchor...on your last day of work after being given the bump.

WPIX is a joke.

Well in Suki's defense it was a viewer who had asked her if she is breastfeeding and or bottle feeding and Dan was the unlucky one to ask that.

Craig and Dan were the anchors 7am-9am. Guess it's one more week of subs till Suki and her new co-anchor start.

My guess is Dan or Kirsten will anchor alongside Suki untll her new co-anchor is announced which seems to be Kori Chambers. But supposedly he won't start until later in the month probably the same time Scott Stanford begins anchoring the 5 & 10 PM shows.

Well in Suki's defense it was a viewer who had asked her if she is breastfeeding and or bottle feeding and Dan was the unlucky one to ask that.

In NOBODY'S defense. It's one thing that a viewer asked it, but the producer, director, or Dan himself should have had the discretion to not put it on the air.

Period.

In NOBODY'S defense. It's one thing that a viewer asked it, but the producer, director, or Dan himself should have had the discretion to not put it on the air.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN IN NOBODY'S DEFENSE? IT WAS SOME VIEWER WHO ASKED IT JEEZ WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR PROBLEM? YOU ALL ACT LIKE ALL THESE NEWS ANCHORS WHATEVER ARE SUPPOSED TO ACT SO STIFF AND SO SERIOUS ALL THE TIME JEEZ. AND IF THEY WANNA AIR IT SO BE IT WHAT ARE YOU THE TV NEWS POLICE OR SOMETHING?

WHAT DO YOU MEAN IN NOBODY'S DEFENSE? IT WAS SOME VIEWER WHO ASKED IT JEEZ WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR PROBLEM? YOU ALL ACT LIKE ALL THESE NEWS ANCHORS WHATEVER ARE SUPPOSED TO ACT SO STIFF AND SO SERIOUS ALL THE TIME JEEZ. AND IF THEY WANNA AIR IT SO BE IT WHAT ARE YOU THE TV NEWS POLICE OR SOMETHING?

I wouldn't consider Liz Cho, Diana Williams or Rosanna Scotto stiff. I think that the question went way overboard for a newscast and even further, the actual question and Suki's response were unprofessional. "Boob or bottle?" was not an appropriate way to word the question (if they had to air it) and bobbie was not an appropriate answer. If they really want to air the question, ask "Did you choose to breast feed or use a bottle?" and the answer should have been "breast feed." Bobbie does not belong on a newscast, it belongs on OMG Insider. While the news shouldn't be stiff, it should maintain some level or professionalism and this most certainly was not professional. Do I want to get my news from someone who yells "Boobie" on air, not at all and the ratings show most people agree. WPIX has nothing going for them, none of the other news organizations in NYC have their anchors screaming unprofessional words and look how there ratings are -- all are better then WPIX. If you want "Boob or bottle" you should be watching Insider, not the news.

WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR PROBLEM?

1. I have an incredibly low tolerance for stupidity.
  2. My job doesn't pay as much as I'd like.
  3. My back is pretty sore right now.
  4. I lack the companionship of a girlfriend.
  5. I have a terrible wristwatch tan.
  6. I just made dinner, and it's gonna suck.
  7. Someone in my family has been unbearable to live with.
  8. My favorite TV station in my home market (Chicago) is making questionable moves, and I'm not totally thrilled with it.
  9. I feel bad that a TV station in the #1 market is run so poorly.
  10. I'm pretty sure my computer has some sort of virus.
  11. I have a dentist appointment next week.
  12. rain.jpg
  13. My best friend isn't talking to me.
  14. It's so damn hot outside.
  15. School started this week.
  16. Gas is expensive.
  17. I'm overtired.
  18. My cell phone can accept but cannot send text messages.
  19. I'm pretty sure my house's AC is on it's last legs.
  20. Traffic was a joke this afternoon.
  21. TV anchors are yelling "BOOBY" at the camera.
  22. I need/want a new pair of jeans.

Shall I continue?

8. My favorite TV station in my home market (Chicago) is making questionable moves, and I'm not totally thrilled with it.
  12. rain.jpg
  16. Gas is expensive.
  17. I'm overtired.

Shall I continue?

You've got 22 problems, and a PIX is one.

Who even watches WPIX anymore? It hasn't been any good since the 90s and it has just gotten worse every year. Tamsen Fadal shouldn't be anchoring at evening and Suki is so annoying in the morning and I cannot stand how Craig Treadway has no personality and Lionel's annoying commentary. It isn't even news anymore. I thought Jodi Applegate was godawful but then they brought on Tamsen and she takes the cake for one of the worst anchors in NYC news history. She should be in the mornings or an entertainment reporter because she isn't good at delivering hard news and smiles while reading stories about murders, robberies, and other serious topics. Also, I cannot stand the giggling and bad jokes that Tamsen and Mr. G make.

12. rain.jpg
  16. Gas is expensive.
  17. I'm overtired.

Shall I continue?

Dang I do have to say that I agree with a majority of what you wrote. I was just saying that we shouldn't be jumping on Dan or Suki because for all we know the person who asked the question could very well be a new mom herself and wants to know what Suki does? Idk just a guess...Sorry for getting snappy. Dan could've asked "A viewer wants to know are you breast feeding or bottle feeding"? But I'm guessing the viewer asked it in this way "Boob or bottle" and thus Dan just asked it that way.

Archived