WTVD New Graphics

aleckrohto

I was watching the livestream online of WTVD and it appears that they got a new graphics package. Do you think other ABC O&O's will get the new graphics. Thoughts?

Links Below:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3kEN61o43gVTTlMYkFoZGZBYjg/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3kEN61o43gVOXprY2tzWWxFZ1U/edit?usp=sharing

It's okay, I guess. The L3's aren't bad, but the opens are atrocious. They're like a combo of WTVD's old package and KABC's current look. I do think this might be something to keep an eye on, seeing as WLS is looooong overdue for new graphics and WABC apparently just shot new opens.

About time they got rid of that golden glow on their bug. It was too much clutter.

(I don't think I ever liked the non-3D elements of WLS's look much either, come to think of it)

WLS's looks a lot better since they redesigned the bug last year. The gold area doesn't go all the way into the corner of the screen, it's a little more transparent, a bit darker, and far more subtle, overall. That's something WTVD never did.

I like the new graphics. Sure, the opens could use a bit of work, but overall its a clean/simple look. I did notice in the open that they did not bother to use the new ABC logo in the video of the ipad...

My only beefs are the parts that seem like a tribute to the older pre-HD KABC look (if you were going to do that, maybe make the 3D parts cel-shaded instead of overly metallic?), and the fact that they aren't using the correct Twitter logo on the bug (its the bird now. No more t)

Aside from that, it's slick and fluid.

They should make the Raleigh studio their main set. The other set seems old and dated.

I agree, but WTVD is licensed and the management feels obligated to stay in Durham. In other words, they will likely continue to use both as long as ABC/Disney owns the station.

The main set is more or less identical to what WPVI has, and I don't think that's grown dated at all. In fact, that Big Board is new, right?

(Also, the Raleigh set looks quite a bit like the "kids table" setup WPVI uses for their 4 and 10...

Hopefully other ABC O&O's will recieve an update too. KTRK is way over due! Been using the same package since 2006/2007.

Hopefully WLS can get some new graphics they have had the same graphics package for years, its getting old.

Why do I feel like I'm the only one who's satisfied with his ABC O&O's graphics? :p

Seriously, it has to be, like, the best usage of VizRT I've seen. And the majority of that package was done in-house.

Not feeling these new WTVD ones at all, though. It comes across as a cheap update of what they had. And I think opens that explicitly include website and iPad shots are silly.

Why do I feel like I'm the only one who's satisfied with his ABC O&O's graphics? :p

Seriously, it has to be, like, the best usage of VizRT I've seen. And the majority of that package was done in-house.

Not feeling these new WTVD ones at all, though. It comes across as a cheap update of what they had. And I think opens that explicitly include website and iPad shots are silly.

You're not, I'm more than satisfied with my ABC's graphics, especially if something like ABC11's new package is coming down the pipeline. Each of the 8 stations' looks are flawed, for sure (some more than others), but WLS and KTRK's are only hurt by age. WABC has had awkward graphics for a fair portion of 2 decades, but the now-outgoing package is not terrible. 6-7 years ago? :puke: The KABC package is probably closest to perfect, but I'm not thrilled with KGO's adaptation. I personally think that WPVI's haven't aged particularly well, but they're still pretty good. KFSN's are inoffensive (if not boring), but the look is one of the best (non-station group graphics) for such a small market.

So yeah, WTVD isn't exactly competitive when compared with its sisters in the graphics department.

The graphics aren't bad and for that market, they are probably a tie with WRAL. Raleigh stations never was that big on graphics (kind of like WABC) but their content was on point and at the end of the that what matters the most in my eyes.

Yeah, for a market its size, WTVD has a pretty good look so does WRAL. Now WNCN and that stupid branding of its call letters versus "NBC17" now is just plain stupid. Nobody knows 17 for its call letters and forcing upon the viewers isn't going to help for the half-witted attempts that MG does to that station...

Yeah, for a market its size, WTVD has a pretty good look so does WRAL. Now WNCN and that stupid branding of its call letters versus "NBC17" now is just plain stupid. Nobody knows 17 for its call letters and forcing upon the viewers isn't going to help for the half-witted attempts that MG does to that station...

WRAL's look has improved from their previous graphics package...the L3's and fonts just looked cheap IMHO.

Archived