Kori Chambers out at WFLD

312newswannabe

From Robert Feder

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=612541018768347&set=a.286389614716824.68071.175146445841142&type=1

CHAMBERS BIDDING GOODBYE TO 'GOOD DAY CHICAGO'

Five years after he signed on at Fox-owned WFLD-Channel 32, "Good Day Chicago" anchor Kori Chambers is leaving for Tribune Broadcasting's WPIX-TV in his native New York, where he's expected to be named morning news co-anchor.

The move marks the second departure of a Fox 32 news anchor in as many weeks. Bob Sirott announced his exit last week after three years as 9 p.m. news anchor to host a midday talk show with his wife, Marianne Murciano, on WGN AM 720. Succeeding Sirott Oct. 1 will be Jeff Herndon, now at ABC affiliate KAKE-TV in Wichita, Kansas.

Fox Chicago sources confirmed the news about Chambers, which was first reported by Jerry Barmash of the media blog Tuned In. I reached out to Fox execs and Chambers for comment, but have not heard back.

The Bronx-born Chambers, who previously worked in Las Vegas and Springfield, Mass., joined Fox 32 in June 2008 from WDIV-TV, the NBC affiliate in Detroit. The following year he began anchoring the station's 5 a.m. weekday newscast.

He currently anchors "Good Day Chicago" from 5 to 7 a.m. with Dawn Hasbrouck and the noon news with Anna Davlantes.

In 2010, Chambers made Chicago magazine's list of the city's most eligible singles.

Anything that would save Channel 11 in New York much more failure, Kori will deliver. But content and the delivery style formula is key. And if they can conquer that, they can forget all that embarrassment from the last several months. So kudos to Kori on moving on to WPIX. They need all the help they can get.

I can't say the same thing for Fox 32, however. Even if you fire everyone wholesale, and place new people there. Status Quo, Status Quo. :mellow:

I can't say the same thing for Fox 32, however. Even if you fire everyone wholesale, and place new people there. Status Quo, Status Quo. :mellow:

I agree for the most part, but they are at the point where they have no choice but to bring in new people. Nothing else has worked or will work in the long term. Hopefully, they bring in a new set of producers and managers too.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a new one. Thursday night is supposed to be Bob Sirott's last night. Tonight, however, WFLD had Kori and Amara Walker anchoring. Not only do I find it odd that they're NOW have Kori sub at 9, but the way they started the show was -ahem- different. Both anchors did the obligatory rundown while the theme played at the top of the show, but then they open on a standing Kori. He intro'd the first story, and threw it to Amara who he stated was in for Robin. Frankly, it made it sound like she's the sidekick.

I will say, though, and it's a lost cause, but they were good together. The format worked nicely, they seemed fresh and excited, and they had good chemistry with Bill and Lou, too. Too bad.

That's because Tuesday night turned out to be Bob's last night. Yep, he gone! I don't know exactly what happened, it was supposed to be the 5th, but something about he couldn't start his new WGN radio show until he was done at Fox and yadda yadda yadda. Something was telling me to watch last night (Tuesday), and sure enough he signed off. The whole show he and Robin kept quipping about him leaving so I felt like something was up. But it wasn't until the very end that it was clear, and to be honest even then it wasn't crystal - not a very formal, obvious goodbye, but some fanfare nonetheless. But fear not those who missed it and want to see it, here's the video link... And btw, it's the friendliest I've ever seen Robin act toward him...

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/video?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=9268258

Feder mentioned Bob's last day was going to be Tuesday several wks. ago. It was the most comfortable I have ever seen them, but the 'so-called' lack of chemistry between the two isn't to blame for the newscast's/station troubles. The real issue was (or is) the environment they work in (Two GMs, 3 NDs, countless format changes to the newscasts, etc... ) over the past three years. Given all of that, you really can't blame them for being/feeling somewhat uneasy never really knowing what's going to happen next.

Kori subbing isn't much of a surprise given the lack of staff/coverage they have. Plus, they are not ones for following the standard (i.e., weekend 9PM anchors covering for weekday 9PM anchors, etc..). They tend to throw in whomever whenever wherever they want.

So, they pulling a "Jan Jeffcoat" move again. It appears Kori's replacement in the morning will be another female.

TVNewsCheck states that Springfield, IL native and KRIV Fox 26 morning anchor Natalie Bomke will anchor Good Day Chicago's 5-7am portion.

I don't care who you bring within the other O&Os to Chicago. As long as Channel 9 keeps their status quo, Fox 32 will stay a status quo.

Well, the hiring of Natalie Bomke for the morning show might only be temporary. How does "Fox 32 News at 9 with Jeff Herndon and Natalie Bomke" sound?

http://www.robertfeder.com/2013/09/12/is-this-the-face-of-the-future-for-fox-chicago/

Also, Corey McPherrin anchored the 9pm show with Robin last night. It was fantastic seeing him back on the late show. Why was this never considered as an anchor duo before?

Archived