KCNC is getting a new Set and maybe a new look?

Chase29

Blurgh. KFMB's logo is hideous.

KCNC's "CBS 4" logo has been in use since 2003. The "4" is set in Arial Black and meant to resemble the old one. It's a competent-looking logo, but it's still pretty bland (you could say the same of too many local TV logos) and it's not untouchable.

I'd be happy to see KCNC bring Gotham back to the newscasts (they use it for non-newscast graphics now)...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually think television logos should be plain and simple. The more you tack onto it, the harder it is to keep consistency. See also: the previous rendering of the ABC logo, Univision, the Hothaus-ified KMGH logo, the pre-standardized WFOR logo, and some others. Reducing a logo down to the affiliate network and channel number makes sense.

In other news, I think KCNC's Studio B looks quite nice. I like the new duratrans they put in. It's too bad they didn't put duratrans like that into the old set before it went. If the new set looks like the modification to Studio B (i.e. what's on WBZ, WCBS, and others), then I'll be pleased.

KFMB here in San Diego is moving towards a simlar logo. I wonder if they are going to try to mimic whatever the O&O's are getting. It also seems KFMB is moving towards using CBS 8 for their news branding.

BSLAO3tCYAAb_Rn.jpg

That "8" was the same one they used in their "ei8ht/newsei8ht" era in the 80s.

This will be interesting to watch, especially with the talk of flatter graphics for the CBS group. KDKA has been getting flashier and flashier lately, with virtual-newsroom CK walls, and a recently launched (though unoriginal) promo package with lots of 3D glass and lights). Their new "Expect More" image, however, uses no animations whatsoever, it's just text over tape.

This will be interesting to watch, especially with the talk of flatter graphics for the CBS group. KDKA has been getting flashier and flashier lately, with virtual-newsroom CK walls, and a recently launched (though unoriginal) promo package with lots of 3D glass and lights). Their new "Expect More" image, however, uses no animations whatsoever, it's just text over tape.

It's too bad that they can't turn those promo graphics into a full graphics package because it would look really nice. I also do really like their version of the Expect More promo. The text is a little bland with the text but I'm glad to see they're not just slapping their logo on the WCBS version and instead creating their own promo which looks really nice.

KFMB here in San Diego is moving towards a simlar logo. I wonder if they are going to try to mimic whatever the O&O's are getting. It also seems KFMB is moving towards using CBS 8 for their news branding.

BSLAO3tCYAAb_Rn.jpg

You guys are harping on this new logo. I quite like it! I prefer it over the former KFMB logo. It's fairly simple and clean. It's the West Coast version of the current WTVJ logo. I know some of you say that it looks like the WFOR logo, but the way they formulated that version looks like a ribbon of toothpaste under the CBS logo and number 4. I miss the previous version of the WFOR logo (the update used briefly).

The KFMB logo reminds me a lot of this:

wtsp.jpg

WTSP was silly to give this logo up. It's classy, simply and generally the direction that logos are trending.

My thoughts on local TV logos:

There was a definite turn in design in the mid-90s. The switches of 1994 precipitated not just a change in the affiliate-network dynamic but also a need for stations to heavily promote to viewers that they had changed networks. Logos like the WTLV one in my avatar, free of any network branding, are by and large a thing of the past for network affiliated stations.

That said, I think there must be a balance struck between ever-important legibility and uniqueness. The direction that CBS has gone in the last decade has left most stations with little local visual identity. Denver looks like Miami looks like looks like Pittsburgh.

That WTLV "12" logo was retired 5 or 6 years ago. (A station-specific factor in that may have been the desire to create matching logos for WTLV and WJXX.) It was probably also a little too dated (it was introduced in the late 1980s). But it also may not have been legible enough for the Twitter avatar-to-signage needs of today's businesses, either.

Please don't tell me that KFMB is using some variation of the WISH syndie package!

What ever they're going to use, it hasn't made it on air yet. Looking at the WISH package, I don't see much of a resemblance except maybe a bit of the color.

• 2 weeks later...

From the Twitter of KCNC News Director Tim Wieland. "Our new set is in pieces now, but we'll be ready to broadcast from the main studio in just a couple weeks." In order to see a larger version of this photo than the one below, select the following link: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BT1sa-eIIAAIg5g.jpg:large

BT1sa-eIIAAIg5g.jpg

Gee! This is the same set as WCCO and KPIX. You can tell by the news desk sitting in the far back. Me thinks standardization has gone a bit far.

BT1sa-eIIAAIg5g.jpg

Gee! This is the same set as WCCO and KPIX. You can tell by the news desk sitting in the far back. Me thinks standardization has gone a bit far.

You can tell that well from this alliteratively tiny picture, the make of the desk that's that far away? wow. impressive.

You can tell that well from this alliteratively tiny picture, the make of the desk that's that far away? wow. impressive.

I can tell because I saw the original. The problem is that I can not enlarge the picture to its full size because this forum will not allow this: "https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BT1sa-eIIAAIg5g.jpg:large" The ':large' extension is inoperable.

It's not a surprise that they're getting a set like that. It's still much needed, and from that picture, it *looks* as if they might be utilising more studio space for it than the previous sets. Or at least let's hope.

I hope that the weather center is moved into the studio.

• 2 weeks later...

Did KCNC get the new graphics to go with it. Or are they still stuck with the old ones?

Tomorrow I believe the full package premieres. I'm watching the 10 pm right now. I SEE THE NEW SET! Beautiful!! And I also see elements of the new package (side by sides and a 'CBSDenver.com' bug), but not everything yet. I'm literally chomping at the bit. Tomorrow. Tomorrow...

The duratrans are like the KPIX set with a skyline and CBS eyes (2D, though, not 3D). But I also note swishes of yellow which is a reference to the new package.

I can't tell you how nice it is to see a new news desk.

UPDATE: And I was wrong. It looks like a custom DDG job.

Here is a set panoramic:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BU1xLKHCIAA5ajL.jpg:large

And as of 5 am, no new graphics yet. Maybe at the 6 O'Clock?

If no new graphics happened at 5am, it'll definitely won't happen at 6am either. I don't think I'd ever seen a graphics change happen at mid-show.

Maybe either noon or 5pm?

Archived