KCNC is getting a new Set and maybe a new look?

Chase29

Just saw on Britt Moreno's Facebook page that they're now going to be in a temporary Set while a brand new one is being built. Also, I have been noticing that Karen Leigh as well as some of the other anchors have new photos of them on their Facebook and Twitter pages with an white background as well as an blue and white CBS4 Logo so I wonder along with a new set if they could be getting a new look all together.

Here's a example of what I was describing.

https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/378800000309523911/eac81746855150a6321c422f6fae1ced.jpeg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That new logo screams WBBM. They go from cloning KCBS 2003 logo to using WBBM's 2002 Logo. I wouldn't be shocked if they start using one of those new sets that the sister stations are using, specifically KYW's. No distinctive creativity.

Yeah CBS is definitely going the spartan route for their O&Os

It's about time. Their 2003 set was one of the best this market has ever seen, but when they built a new set in 2008, they tried keeping the same layout of it while shoehorning an RP wall into it. The duratrans didn't look right either, and it was a very awkward set.

I'm glad they're getting a new set. Those duratrans in Studio B are new, and they look a little bit like the stuff seen on the Jack Morton sets. I'd be more than pleased if they ended up with a miniature version of the WBZ set.

The only thing that's wrong here is that presuming this will take two weeks, I won't be around to see it or to make caps. :bang: Oh well.

I don't know why they're going for the WBBM look; I mean sure it's unique and all but their old logo works just fine; still it provides a sense of uniqueness in the Denver market and what I'm really most interested about is the new set; looking at the pictures it really looks like it needs a refresh. I mean trying to cram new technology into the old set? That wouldn't work out well. I'm guessing their set would look like that of WBZ but I'm hoping that their set doesn't look like KYW's.

That new logo screams WBBM. They go from cloning KCBS 2003 logo to using WBBM's 2002 Logo. I wouldn't be shocked if they start using one of those new sets that the sister stations are using, specifically KYW's. No distinctive creativity.

Considering that KCNC used the WNBC "4" logo for years after it was traded from NBC to CBS, this is nothing new.

And a friend heard that the New Graphics for the CBS O&O stations should be launching this summer. Apparently, they've been developed by Blue Helix and look like crap having no 3D elements whatsoever.

I have a feeling that A. This relaunch will coincide with the new graphics (and maybe Enforcer NG 3 4). B. Will be a precipitant for KUSA to finally get a new set!

And a friend heard that the New Graphics for the CBS O&O stations should be launching this summer. Apparently, they've been developed by Blue Helix and look like crap having no 3D elements whatsoever.

I have a feeling that A. This relaunch will coincide with the new graphics (and maybe Enforcer NG 3). B. Will be a precipitant for KUSA to finally get a new set!

No 3D elements? Are they going for a more flat look?

Well of course Hothaus would say they're awful when everything they do is 3D. Flat graphics seem to be the current trend (look at things such as Windows 8 and iOS 7), so it might not be too bad. Do you know what kind of color scheme they are going for?

Considering that KCNC used the WNBC "4" logo for years after it was traded from NBC to CBS, this is nothing new.

Two years after the switch with the WNBC "4" and six more with a logo that was derived from that aesthetic.

I have a feeling that A. This relaunch will coincide with the new graphics (and maybe Enforcer NG 3). B. Will be a precipitant for KUSA to finally get a new set!

I'm still hoping for the adoption of WBZ's former graphics package. I know that won'e happen, though...

What work has Blue Helix done before? I did a Google search and cannot seem to find the firm.

:cool: am I the only one here that finds the CBS O&O logos to be the most absolute generic, boring, plain, uninspiring and non-trying logos out there?

Nope. I really don't like KDKA's logo. The least they could do is use the Group W font or even Anklepants.

a) how would Hothaus know what they look like?

:cool: am I the only one here that finds the CBS O&O logos to be the most absolute generic, boring, plain, uninspiring and non-trying logos out there?

You're not alone. I don't know why they forced stations to change. WBZ and WCCO's respective logos were just fine.

I also don't understand why KDKA (like WBZ) must use the channel number when it's never used in branding... but that's just me. I actually prefer the Eurostyle-font "2" as depicted to the left in this photo:

kdka-set-1.jpg

b) am I the only one here that finds the CBS O&O logos to be the most absolute generic, boring, plain, uninspiring and non-trying logos out there?

At least the ABC O&Os and NBC O&Os allow for some variety. SOME.

Ever since the mass standardization of the Fox O&O group a few years back, they are now a clear second to CBS in the category of logo generic-ness. Think about it. They may not be plain, but they are all the same and have no variations whatsoever (at least since WITI was spun off).

You're not alone. I don't know why they forced stations to change. WBZ and WCCO's respective logos were just fine.

I also don't understand why KDKA (like WBZ) must use the channel number when it's never used in branding... but that's just me. I actually prefer the Eurostyle-font "2" as depicted to the left in this photo:

*snip*

That would work fine if they strictly used a horizontal logo. It would look odd if it were used in the current logo form.

b) am I the only one here that finds the CBS O&O logos to be the most absolute generic, boring, plain, uninspiring and non-trying logos out there?

nope.

Look at WBZ's and WCCO's "4" logos. SMFH. Looks like WFOR's logo. ICKVILLE USA. Least KCNC kept their "4 they used since 2004.

I may be grasping at straws, but any chance that this provide a hint of the new O&O graphics package?

BSmE1SrCAAAhSKq.jpg

That's 'FOR's ad. (Note the "ocean line" under the Eyemark/4 logo. The "Ocean Line" goes back when WFOR revised their 1999-2010 "4" logo... then scrapped it...)

I think he's referring to the overall design of the ad, not the CBS 4 logo.

It certainly does follow the "flat" design mentioned previously... I love the Gotham font they're using. It's just so much better than Arial :ack:

By the way, there's a video ad that goes along with that print ad. It doesn't follow the design of the print ad, though.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151781774054477&set=vb.44351298412&type=2&theater

That's 'FOR's ad. (Note the "ocean line" under the Eyemark/4 logo. The "Ocean Line" goes back when WFOR revised their 1999-2010 "4" logo... then scrapped it...)

KFMB here in San Diego is moving towards a simlar logo. I wonder if they are going to try to mimic whatever the O&O's are getting. It also seems KFMB is moving towards using CBS 8 for their news branding.

BSLAO3tCYAAb_Rn.jpg

Archived