NBC local news themes on Telemundo stations

T.L. Hughes

Recently, I stumbled upon a newscast on KTUZ, the station uses very random music for its newscasts. Some of it is production music, but the rejoin bumper music oddly enough is a cut from "L.A.Groove" (particularly the version that many NBC O&Os use to open their newscasts, but played in a higher key.

What's peculiar about it is that KTUZ is not an NBC station (KFOR is), but a Telemundo affiliate. KTUZ's "Accion Oklahoma" doesn't appear to use any other cuts from "L.A. Groove" other than that. Are there any other Telemundo stations (owned or affiliated) that use themes originally designed for NBC stations (and with the NBC chimes signature, like with KTUZ)?

WNJU and WSNS used the WNBC 2003 theme, which appeared to have variants for Telemundo without the chimes.

Other than that, most Telemundo stations have used production music (much of it unidentified) or the network's custom themes (1992, 1999, 2007, 2012 Azurite), along with some other custom station themes by mostly Hispanic composers. Other notable exceptions, likely or known:

KUNA Palm Springs: Used the Palmer News Package which sister KESQ still uses. Dropped in late 2012 for the Azurite theme.

WKAQ Puerto Rico: Move Closer to Your World.

KDRX Phoenix (now KTAZ): The original KDRX newscast was produced by KNXV and aired from 1997-2000. (This was before NBC bought Telemundo.) Unfortunately we don't know what news theme they were using.

WNJU and WSNS used the WNBC 2003 theme, which appeared to have variants for Telemundo without the chimes.

Other than that, most Telemundo stations have used production music (much of it unidentified) or the network's custom themes (1992, 1999, 2007, 2012 Azurite), along with some other custom station themes by mostly Hispanic composers. Other notable exceptions, likely or known:

KUNA Palm Springs: Used the Palmer News Package which sister KESQ still uses. Dropped in late 2012 for the Azurite theme.

WKAQ Puerto Rico: Move Closer to Your World.

KDRX Phoenix (now KTAZ): The original KDRX newscast was produced by KNXV and aired from 1997-2000. (This was before NBC bought Telemundo.) Unfortunately we don't know what news theme they were using.

You forgot KVEA and KSTS.

I actually caught that when I was down there earlier in the week. They use it for the rejoins only, though it may have been a more recent development. They're using a new open for both of their newscasts but the previous open music seems to still play as the close. The couple of times I caught it recently anyway.

Recently, I stumbled upon a newscast on KTUZ, the station uses very random music for its newscasts. Some of it is production music, but the rejoin bumper music oddly enough is a cut from "L.A.Groove" (particularly the version that many NBC O&Os use to open their newscasts, but played in a higher key.

What's peculiar about it is that KTUZ is not an NBC station (KFOR is), but a Telemundo affiliate. KTUZ's "Accion Oklahoma" doesn't appear to use any other cuts from "L.A. Groove" other than that. Are there any other Telemundo stations (owned or affiliated) that use themes originally designed for NBC stations (and with the NBC chimes signature, like with KTUZ)?

This was probably a fluke because I only saw/heard it happen once. WSCV used WTVJ's 2012 theme for a bump during the 6pm newscast. Being a flagship they've pretty much stuck to the network specific themes. They're still using the orchestral variant of the 1999 theme, and recently picked up Azurite for the morning show.

Archived