WJZ's Mobile Weather Lab...

chrelevator

This morning a friend of mine pointed out an ad on CBSBaltimore.com showing WJZ's new Mobile Weather lab.

8sjJUYH.jpg

Notice that they're using the same vehicle wrap that the other O&Os have been using for their mobile weather labs, plus their using a different version of the logo on the front of the vehicle.

I just find this interesting since WJZ has done everything they can to stay away from the O&O look, but it's now on their Mobile Weather Lab. Thoughts?

Here's what I think: they're the last O&O IIRC to get the mobile wx lab. They just went with the default design. You can tell by the ad too nothing's changing anytime soon, since they are using that ugly Impact font on the ad.

As far as the logo is concerned, they also use it on their chopper and I've seen it in their gfx pack a couple of times.

Don't expect anything to change as long as K. C. Robertson is their CSD...

This morning a friend of mine pointed out an ad on CBSBaltimore.com showing WJZ's new Mobile Weather lab.

8sjJUYH.jpg

Notice that they're using the same vehicle wrap that the other O&Os have been using for their mobile weather labs, plus their using a different version of the logo on the front of the vehicle.

I just find this interesting since WJZ has done everything they can to stay away from the O&O look, but it's now on their Mobile Weather Lab. Thoughts?

If only WJZ could revert the "13" back to the original Group W typeface (KPIX managed to do so). The current 13 just has never looked quite right.

This probably was one of a few things that WJZ couldn't be exempt from (the standardized "CBSLocal" website is another), which considering how they **have** managed to keep both Chroma Cues and their defiantly non-O&O graphics packs, it's still pretty remarkable.

Here's what I think: they're the last O&O IIRC to get the mobile wx lab.

Not quite. KDKA doesn't have a mobile weather lab, and I don't think they'll ever get one (they claim to now have a "Mobile Sports Lab" or something, but I think it's just a Ford TransitConnect van with the KDKA/CW logos all over it, nothing special really). I can't see any of their meteorologists traveling out to some remote location to do what they currently do in-studio.

Slightly off topic but I wish they would get the O&O gfx and update Chroma Cues (the current cuts date from 1997) and a new set (1998) too. As long as Robertson is there nothing's going to change unfortunately...

Although they finally refer to their site as cbsbaltimore.com on air which I was shocked when I saw that they started doing that. I always thought they would keep calling it wjz.com on the air. Guess not...

Replying to chrelevator, can't quote as I'm typing this from my phone. I could've sworn KDKA had their own mobile wx lab. I guess not.

I know WOAI here has one of these (the Storm Tracker 4 Mobile Storm Chaser) but I've never seen them use it for anything other than an extra live truck. If anything these are just advertising machines for CBS and the stations probably just use them as an additional live truck no less.

Not quite. KDKA doesn't have a mobile weather lab, and I don't think they'll ever get one (they claim to now have a "Mobile Sports Lab" or something, but I think it's just a Ford TransitConnect van with the KDKA/CW logos all over it, nothing special really). I can't see any of their meteorologists traveling out to some remote location to do what they currently do in-studio.

That doesn't make sense to me. Even KPIX and KCBS have one and the only extreme weather they get is rain. I think KDKA should get one, it would come in pretty handy when winter time comes around.

The 'Mobile Weather Lab' format works best for markets that have severe weather often, such as KTVT, KCNC, and WFOR (Tornadoes, Winter Storms, and Hurricanes). I just don't see why markets like sunny San Fran or calm LA would need it.*

*Other than Good Ol' Fashioned Advertising!

The 'Mobile Weather Lab' format works best for markets that have severe weather often, such as KTVT, KCNC, and WFOR (Tornadoes, Winter Storms, and Hurricanes). I just don't see why markets like sunny San Fran or calm LA would need it.*

*Other than Good Ol' Fashioned Advertising!

The only real hazards in San Francisco or Los Angeles, quite frankly, are excessive smog and earthquakes. And those vehicles would be pretty much useless in either circumstance.

The only real hazards in San Francisco or Los Angeles, quite frankly, are excessive smog and earthquakes. And those vehicles would be pretty much useless in either circumstance.

Well the SF Bay Area gets almost twice as much rain compared to SoCal, but its a stretch calling it severe weather. SoCal does get plenty of wildfires so I guess it would come in handy for the times that we get Santa Anas, but again it's a stretch.

I agree, they need a new, well, everything. New cuts of music (the current cuts are gonna start going rotten and start to emit fumes at some point :ack: ), a new set (their current one is probably infested with termites now), and, yes, the O&O graphics (though no mandate, and they bring back the original 13, albeit colored gold), although they could modify the colors to red and yellow like their logo (WLNY and KCAL use a blue and gold version, so why can't WJZ customize their graphics?), and instead of the Eye, it's a spinning 13 (again, since they're so far apart from the rest of the group).

They work well in markets in the north east that are susceptible to just about any kind of weather. At the end of the day though it's all just a way to score some easy sponsorship revenue.

That's all it is, really. There's a reason they're sponsored by X area Y dealers.

It really doesn't matter what type of vehicle it is, as long as they can stick a transmitter, a weather station, and a plasma in it.

If the sales department is smart, they'll sponsor the at-location segments, too.

Archived