NFL Preseason Follies 2013

Viper550

The Colts design reminds me of TSN a little; they had a period where they were fascinated with slanted, glossy scoreboards like that. But now they've gone to these sort of curved parallelogram things...

(you don't want to see how long its taken for TSN to phase in their current graphics. It's nuts, and its a very awful hodgepodge. Only NHL, CFL, curling, and ice skating have used them full-time yet. Everywhere else, they're mixed with these dated L3's dating back to about 2006. It's as bad as KFMB, but going up a generation)

Also...

Ravens: Going back in time, their scoreboard looks a lot like the 2002 Fox Sports scoreboard. Except purple instead of yellow and with a different font.

The Colts design reminds me of TSN a little; they had a period where they were fascinated with slanted, glossy scoreboards like that. But now they've gone to these sort of curved parallelogram things...

(you don't want to see how long its taken for TSN to phase in their current graphics. It's nuts, and its a very awful hodgepodge. Only NHL, CFL, curling, and ice skating have used them full-time yet. Everywhere else, they're mixed with these dated L3's dating back to about 2006. It's as bad as KFMB, but going up a generation)

Also...

Ravens: Going back in time, their scoreboard looks a lot like the 2002 Fox Sports scoreboard. Except purple instead of yellow and with a different font.

I thought that the first time I saw them. Very bulky.

The Cardinals design is not very well executed either; bulk is an issue with that one, too.

http://vimeo.com/3076071

Awesome open from a few years ago.

Jeeze. I think that was 2001, since it sounds like that was Jerry Rice's first season in Oakland.

They don't even play this game anymore after all of the violence that broke out before/during/after the 2011 Raiders/49ers preseason game.

Can anyone identify these graphics?

8n3.png

Looks like the Texans did away with the Hothaus graphics but I couldn't catch the game and my DVR screwed up and didn't tape it. Those definitely don't like look the Hothaus gfx...

Looks ESPNish.

Texans.pngHouston Texans via KTRK (ESPN-ish)

Cardinals.pngArizona Cardinals via KNXV

Rams.pngSt. Louis Rams via KTVI (Altitude Inspiried)

Bengals.pngCincinnati Bengals via WKRC

Seahawks.pngSeattle Seahawks via KCPQ & Root Sports

Chiefs.pngKansas City Chiefs via KCTV

Jets.pngNew York Jets via WCBS

Are any of the preseason stations in your area placing a station ID bug on the screen during the game? KNXV has the audacity to place an opaque "ABC15" bug on the bottom right-hand side of the screen (then again, their management is from the KPNX era in the '90s where their station bug was prominently placed during ALL NBC shows). It appears that other stations across the country aren't doing this.

Are any of the preseason stations in your area placing a station ID bug on the screen during the game? KNXV has the audacity to place an opaque "ABC15" bug on the bottom right-hand side of the screen (then again, their management is from the KPNX era in the '90s where their station bug was prominently placed during ALL NBC shows). It appears that other stations across the country aren't doing this.

Those for WFOR have not. The screenshot below is the Patriots in-house design from WBZ. Here is the designer too: National Ministry of Design. http://vimeo.com/72202122

Patriots.png

KTVI has been placing a "Fox 2" bug at the upper right corner of the screen during the Rams games.

Redskins: NBC 2012/Comcast Sportsnet

And yeah, as expected, the scoreboard looks almost like the normal NBC one, except its thinner and has characteristics of the old CSN graphics. Now, that's a wallbanger; you'd think CSN would use the perfectly good NBC design and just slap a "CSN" under the peacock like they do with NBCSN on the EPL coverage (this is more towards college football, this one had a Redskins logo on it, but the same logic applies) instead of re-inventing the wheel with these unnecessary variations.

Also, someone hinted on Twitter that CBS might be using the new look at the US Open too (which makes sense, given one of the days has an NFL lead-in, wouldn't want to awkwardly go back to the old ones). Plus, I saw a promo for CBS SN's first college game on Thursday, and it had a similar look to their new NFL promos...

Even though its technically not pre-season NFL, I'd recommend you watch their first college game on CBS Sports Network tonight. I think the reason we haven't seen the Super Bowl package on pre-season games (or, well, anything since the Super Bowl) was because it was on vacation in Hawaii (which happens to be where the first game is)

Also noticed some subtle changes with NBC's package this year; new replay transition, plus the dark "shade" under the scoreboard can turn team colored now if the bar is displaying team-specific stuff (like the touchdown animation and "this drive" stats)

• 2 weeks later...

Cowboys still going strong with their in-house look. They've had it for a good while now.

Apparently, they also use those graphics on the jumbotron at ahem AT&T Stadium (saw a photo someone took at the Cowboys Classic college game last week, it had a blue/orange version)

Also noticed some subtle changes with NBC's package this year; new replay transition, plus the dark "shade" under the scoreboard can turn team colored now if the bar is displaying team-specific stuff (like the touchdown animation and "this drive" stats)

The color change for team-specific events has been in place since they launched the new graphics (I believe).

Archived