NFL Preseason Follies 2013

Viper550

Well, it's that time of the year again; will your team just use CBS/NBC/NFL Network defaults? Will their in-house graphics be a work of art, or a design disaster? It's NFL Preseason time.

Chargers: KFMB is still using its ugly hodgepodge of TWO past CBS packages.

Redskins: Presuming they're the new NBC Sports!Comcast Sportsnet look. Check out those "hilities"

Seahawks: Root Sports

Bucs: Custom. Not bad looking

WGCL kept the rights to Falcons preseason games...that's the biggest folly (broadcast wise) we've had so far. Add to that the fact that WGCL's sports department is nearly nonexistent as they terminated their relationship with a local radio station this summer and well....

Let's just say that I'm glad ESPN aired the first preseason Falcons game. If WGCL had the privilege of broadcasting that awful performance by the Falcons tonight, it would not be pretty. The preseason is still young, though...

The Eagles produce their own preseason broadcasts, unfortunately, via their propaganda machine television arm, Eagles Television Network. They used to make their preseason graphics in-house. The last few seasons, someone over there had some sense to tell them to use the NFL Network graphics. I'm going to hope this is still the case.

EDIT: Tomorrow's game is actually going to air on NFL Network... do they produce their own preseason broadcasts?

6ABC is the Official Television Station Of The Philadelphia Eagles for the somethingeth season in a row, so they get all preseason games. They're also set to air the season opener, which unfortunately is an ESPN game so we get to endure Mike Tirico and Jon Gruden. Third week is an NFL Network game, and they don't list the local broadcaster, but it'll either be 6 or PHL 17.

I'd say I'm ready for some football, but since I refer to football as the game where you actually use your FOOT to manipulate a BALL I've been ready for that one for some time. (Eight more days until Premier League starts!!!!!) Therefore, I'm going to refer to the NFL by the name it should be called.

So I think I am ready for some handegg.

Well, it's that time of the year again; will your team just use CBS/NBC/NFL Network defaults? Will their in-house graphics be a work of art, or a design disaster? It's NFL Preseason time.

Chargers: KFMB is still using its ugly hodgepodge of TWO past CBS packages.

Redskins: Presuming they're the new NBC Sports!Comcast Sportsnet look. Check out those "hilities"

Seahawks: Root Sports

Bucs: Custom. Not bad looking

I cannot understand why KFMB continues to mix two graphic packages that not only do not match, but are not meant for HD (at least one of them). They also mix in some in-house stuff as well. The only good thing is the open, there was a video of it on Vimeo, but I can't seem to find it. Several years ago, KFMB used in house graphics for the games complete with the 8 logo/branding, but i'm guessing they did away with that because they license the game to KCBS and a few other stations.

Since the Bengals were on ESPN can't comment on their game graphics package.

The Browns however shocked me tonight. WKYC actually went with The NBC Sports Graphics which meant there In-house package that was kind of STO inspired has hit the bricks. It didn't look too bad.

Since the Bengals were on ESPN can't comment on their game graphics package.

The Browns however shocked me tonight. WKYC actually went with The NBC Sports Graphics which meant there In-house package that was kind of STO inspired has hit the bricks. It didn't look too bad.

Probably the reason they went with NBC's graphics is because STO is now owned by FOX and STO doesn't have its own graphics anymore.

Packers: Previous years, the Packers used CBS Sports productions, using the stock NFL on CBS graphics with the eyemark replaced with the Packers "G" logo. This year, it looks like they've moved to NBC Sports productions, using the stock NBC Sports graphics with the peacock replaced with a "Packers TV Network" shield logo. This sort of makes sense; the flagship stations are WGBA, Green Bay's NBC affiliate, and WTMJ, Milwaukee's NBC affiliate. Pregame "Countdown to Kickoff" is seemingly exclusively WTMJ sportscasters. Even though they work for CBS during the season, the Packers have kept Kevin Harlan and Rich Gannon on for game PxP and analyst respectively.

Actually, the Packers had NBC graphics last year too... (I referred to them as being "slightly bootleg, remember?)

Patriots: Little different; they've switched to a score box with shades of both CBS '06 and Fox '12 at the same time. The transitions and stuff look good, the box looks a bit tacky (but hey, timeout lamps! Yay!)

Eagles: NFL Network teal, like last year

Actually, the Packers had NBC graphics last year too... (I referred to them as being "slightly bootleg, remember?)

Ugh, really? Man, the years sort of blend together. :o

Edit: and yeah, I guess you're right, I think these are NBC Sports knockoff graphics... I think this may be a Journal Broadcasting production, not an NBC Sports production.

KPIX49erpreseason.pngKPIX preseason Scorebug

TampaBucspreseason.pngBucs's graphic (WTSP)

Titanspreseason.pngTitans graphic (WKRN)

Everything is captured using NFL.com highlights.

Could KPIX's (have yet to see WCBS (NY Jets)) be a small taste of the newly updated CBS Sports graphics to come?

Could KPIX's (have yet to see WCBS (NY Jets)) be a small taste of the newly updated CBS Sports graphics to come?

I think they looked like that last year too.

WCBS was just using a full CBS Sports production again like last year, but using last year's blue graphics and not the Super Bowl update

I got to school The Verge last night on its very wrong article about retrans and the NFL. Comment reposted below:

“Last night’s game between the St. Louis Rams and Cleveland Browns was unavailable for TWC customers in Columbus and Dayton, while fans in Los Angeles and Yuma, AZ couldn’t tune in to the Seattle / San Diego game if they happened to be saddled with TWC service, as well.”

The CBS affiliates in those markets are owned by Dispatch Broadcasting, Cox Media, CBS (the lone exception) and Pappas Arizona (to be sold to company also trying to buy the NBC affiliate there), respectively. Only one of them is off TWC.

You also listed Greensboro (Gannett), KC (Meredith), Charleston (Raycom) and Syracuse (Barrington and Granite) as affected markets.

Only New York, LA, Dallas, Omaha, Green Bay and Milwaukee (the last three by way of Journal), of all the markets to float, are affected. If the CBS station in your market isn’t owned by CBS directly (and only one of those eight is), even if you have TWC, you can still get CBS.* Bad reporting on retrans does not help matters.

*Omaha is the exception; the CBS affiliate there is owned by Journal, and it does carry Packers preseason games.

Steelers: CBS 2006 (and I mean, fully 2006). Its surprising that they didn't drag CBS Sports in there to co-produce like the Jets game because they're an O&O.

Giants: NFL Network is using the Steelers feed, but presuming that they're either using the current NBC Sports look with SNF music and everything (since that seems to be what both NY stations do), or Look F (;P)

Lions, Jaguars: Older NFL Network stuff (the same teal ones as the Eagles)

No...I think what you saw during the Super Bowl will be what they're using going forward. As mentioned, the network with SB broadcast rights that year usually refreshes their graphics that season (or during the game itself).

The first Texans game was ESPN unfortunately, last night's used the Vikings feed, which uses the NBC Sports look. I'll have to wait until next week to see what the Texans use...

Also KTRK had technical difficulties airing the game last night and promised to reair it tonight...

Archived