Obituary Notices During News Broadcast

IsitCC?

WHTM, aka abc27, has recently announced it will start broadcasting the obituary notices during their news broadcasts and other times on August 19th.

I have never heard of any TV news station doing this. I find this as strange. Have you seen something like this in your TV news broadcast area?

You can find it at http://www.abc27.com/obits

I guess someone who has died recently is getting 15 minutes of fame.

Here is their announcement:

Starting August 19, watch abc27 TV during the following times to view the most recent obituary notices. All times are approximate.

Monday – Friday:

Noon news – 12:28pm

5:30pm news – 5:40pm

Saturdays and Sundays:

9am news – 9:50am

11pm news – 11:29pm

On RTV, abc27 digital channel 27.2:

Every day at approximately 10am and 7pm

I don't think anything is tasteless about it. It's a pretty neat idea. KTBS also does it if I'm not mistaken.

I think this comment is more tasteless than the concept itself:

I guess someone who has died recently is getting 15 minutes of fame.

I'm not offended or bothered personally by any stretch of means so don't take that the wrong way. Obituaries are not for someone to get "15 minutes of fame" but a way for friends and loved ones to reflect back on that person. Newspapers do 'em. All TV news stations report on anyways is who got shot. Makes sense. Just sayin' ;)

Seriously? Seems a bit tasteless if you ask me!

Radio stations used to read obits on a daily basis decades ago (especially if they maintained a traditional full-service format).

A handful still do. WLEC/1450 in Sandusky, Ohio, for one, runs "vital statistics" and that practice has survived multiple format and ownership changes over the past decade.

Guest NewsHound

What if the family and friends of the person who died don't get the newspaper and need to know what time and where the services will be held? Broadcasting the time and location on TV is a good idea. Now, reading the entire obit on TV is a little morbid if you ask me.

What I'm concerned with ABC27 doing this 'segment' is Al Gnoza's lack of professionalism ... do I need to remind you all how he does his 'Fugitive Files' segments??? This is a mid-size market, not Glendive ...

http://www.abc27.com/video?clipId=9184067&autostart=true

Al was 'tame' with this report, but still unprofessional.

Gotta run, I see the brooms here. They must be here to clean house at TMZ27.

-- Matt

WDTV in Clarksburg does this on all newscasts. It's really just interstitial slides with the pertinent information, with a soft peaceful music playing. It is usually done going out of Segment A of newscast then goes into regular commercials. Very well done, with no big deal made about it.

Archived