Nexstar...again

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

KDVR / KFCT (FOX31) & KWGN (Colorado's Own Channel 2) employees that work the combined assignment desk & the Nexstar master control hub for a dozen Nexstar TV stations across the country intend to unionize according to an article posted on the station's website yesterday.   If this comes to pass they would be the 2nd & 3rd Denver TV stations to Unionize after KCNC "CBS NEWS Colorado" went union in late 1995 after being acquired by Group W/CBS.    I also have this up on my blog about Denver TV stations that can be found in my profile.

Article here:https://kdvr.com/news/local/nexstar-workers-in-denver-declare-intent-to-unionize/

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DENDude said:

KDVR / KFCT (FOX31) & KWGN (Colorado's Own Channel 2) employees that work the combined assignment desk & the Nexstar master control hub for a dozen Nexstar TV stations across the country intend to unionize according to an article posted on the station's website yesterday.   If this comes to pass they would be the 2nd & 3rd Denver TV stations to Unionize after KCNC "CBS NEWS Colorado" went union in late 1995 after being acquired by Group W/CBS.    I also have this up on my blog about Denver TV stations that can be found in my profile.

Article here:https://kdvr.com/news/local/nexstar-workers-in-denver-declare-intent-to-unionize/

The difference is that KCNC doesn't have a master control at the station and the assignment desk only works for 1 station. Trying to cover news for 2 stations and hub master control for multiple stations, while Perry takes any profit from KDVR|KWGN, KXRM|KXTU, and KREX|KFQX and shovels it into the DOA NewsNation while you're not able to mean the minimum cost of living would piss anyone off.

Per the KDVR article:

Current job postings show the pay for some of those who are petitioning to unionize. Master control workers at Nexstar’s hub start at $19.23 an hour, while part-time production technicians start at $17.29 an hour. A newscast director is offered a range of $52,000-$65,000 based on experience.

And ironically, per another article from KDVR - https://kdvr.com/news/local/have-things-become-more-expensive-in-denver/ :

In Denver, the price for a house is down very slightly from 2022, from $648,187 to $642,294. Rent, however, is up slightly, from $1,809 in 2022 to 1,869 in 2023.

Thanks to Colorado's pay transparency law, I am shocked at how poor the pay is in the Denver market. KDVR/KWGN also seems to be at the bottom of the pack, at least from what I've seen of producer pay. I don't think Denver is really a destination market anymore for most people in this industry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C Block said:

Thanks to Colorado's pay transparency law, I am shocked at how poor the pay is in the Denver market. KDVR/KWGN also seems to be at the bottom of the pack, at least from what I've seen of producer pay. I don't think Denver is really a destination market anymore for most people in this industry.

That is true. Though, I'd argue it never was.

Nexstar is known for rock-bottom salaries and Denver is the latest proof.  Here’s an example:

KDVR/KWGN has a job opening for a part-time production technician with a listed salary of $17.29/hour.  Colorado’s minimum wage is $14.42/hour, but in Denver specifically, the minimum wage is $18.29 hour.

The job opening was posted prior to the higher wages becoming law, so let’s presume Nexstar hasn’t updated the job post.  It’s still further proof of how cheap Nexstar is, because this is a minimum wage salary in a larger-sized market.

• 1 month later...

Nexstar is opening the Nexstar Weather Center based in Dallas. Its job is to serve as a "relief hub" for its small/medium markets that have had stubborn openings for weekend meteorologists and allow the any full-time staff to take time off (as in several of these markets meteorologists are working 6-7 days a week). No word on a launch date (presumably later this year). These weather segments would be forecast and produced out of Dallas then sent out to that individual market.

Multiple ways to think about this. One could argue if Nexstar has the time and resources to create an entirely new hub to provide relief for its small market meteorologists, it could also use those resources to make those weekend weather/MMJ jobs (which is what the vast majority of them are), more appealing to college grads or sub-3 year professionals.

However, it also shows the struggles of small markets to hire anyone out of school since now top-50 markets are more than willing to do that themselves. Would you work in Lubbock, TX out of college, or Norfolk, VA?

• Like 6

Laura Velazques moved to Denver after working many years in West Michigan Wood TV for KDVR she only lasted a year in Denver. And Laura moved to become a met at ACCUWeather she is suing them because they laid her off during COVID then she returned to West Michigan to work for Fox17 for about 6 or 7 months and left in Oct of 2021. Rumors are that she in the ND didn't get along they were co-workers at Wood TV why Lara didn't last long at Fox17.

I saw former WWMT weekend met Brian James doing the weather from time to time for Wood TV when Ellen was off since she just had a baby. Brian James didn't last all that long with WWMT I think his wife didn't like the weather or had issues because they moved back to Texas. Brian is from Michigan his parents got to see him do the weather. I wonder if that is what Brian will be doing for the smaller Nexstar TV stations around the country doing those tape weather segments.

Edited by Megatron81

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/19/2024 at 8:46 PM, Megatron81 said:

Laura Velazques moved to Denver after working many years in West Michigan Wood TV for KDVR she only lasted a year in Denver. And Laura moved to become a met at ACCUWeather she is suing them because they laid her off during COVID then she returned to West Michigan to work for Fox17 for about 6 or 7 months and left in Oct of 2021. Rumors are that she in the ND didn't get along they were co-workers at Wood TV why Lara didn't last long at Fox17.

I saw former WWMT weekend met Brian James doing the weather from time to time for Wood TV when Ellen was off since she just had a baby. Brian James didn't last all that long with WWMT I think his wife didn't like the weather or had issues because they moved back to Texas. Brian is from Michigan his parents got to see him do the weather. I wonder if that is what Brian will be doing for the smaller Nexstar TV stations around the country doing those tape weather segments.

Interestingly enough, according to her LinkedIn, Velasquez is now a freelance meteorologist for WLWT

KGBT-TV in the RGV market had one of the guy wires snap on their tower this week, and after an evacuation for a day or two it was safely taken down. It had already been stripped of its CBS affiliation in 2021, become an Antenna/My Net sub zombie, and its main and Estrella subchannels were bumped to KVEO's bandwidth while NX figures out next steps.

I feel like they either move to KVEO's stick in the coming months with only the Nexstar classic nets returning in addition (the rest are Scripps networks and will likely see a contract rip-up), or it just goes silent after a year and it goes back up for bids; why rebuild a tower when you can just move its operations to the working one?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mrschimpf said:

KGBT-TV in the RGV market had one of the guy wires snap on their tower this week, and after an evacuation for a day or two it was safely taken down. It had already been stripped of its CBS affiliation in 2021, become an Antenna/My Net sub zombie, and its main and Estrella subchannels were bumped to KVEO's bandwidth while NX figures out next steps.

I feel like they either move to KVEO's stick in the coming months with only the Nexstar classic nets returning in addition (the rest are Scripps networks and will likely see a contract rip-up), or it just goes silent after a year and it goes back up for bids; why rebuild a tower when you can just move its operations to the working one?

Just move KGBT-TV to the KVEO tower. It's easy to tell them that they are moving transmitters, I think. Or is it difficult, I have no idea.

Also, it was only acquired by Nexstar because of the failed Tribune-Sinclair merger

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nexstar is in big, big trouble now and they know what they are doing because in recent years, they have bought tons of local stations across the country from Tribune, other companies and the CW Network and because of this, they’ve put themselves over the 39% ownership limit set by the FCC but they are very greedy business owners.

Edited by Encore Emp
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, TheRob said:

From the PDF listed above:

10.          Although the general arrangements described immediately above apply to all of the Mission stations that are reliant on Nexstar, only one—WPIX—is without a  Nexstar-owned station in the same local market. It is important to note the distinction made in the Commission’s Rules between relationships concerning entities that own stations in the same geographic market (i.e., same-market) and those that do not. When presented with same-market instances, the Commission has recognized the efficiencies that SSAs, JSAs, or LMAs, can produce. The Commission has not considered previously whether the same benefits occur to the same degree when a licensee outsources these functions to a party that does not already operate in the same market.

This section caught my eye. It seems that this is not the the beginning of the end for sidecar companies. This situation seems to have been the FCC closing a loophole from when Nexstar purchased Tribune, divested to Scripps, and the repurchased via Mission.

All the stations that Nexstar and Mission own in the other markets have been ruled to effectively be duopolies. Are any of these now in violation of the existing (if relaxed) duopoly rules?

Edited by AmericanErrorist
  • Like 1