Jump to content
×
×
  • Create New...

Recommended Posts

I was listening to Nexstar's earnings call while working, and at one point he mentioned that only 16% of people in the country recognized the NewsNation brand, even admitting that 84% of the US "has no earthly idea" what it is.

 

At least he's honest that nobody's watching...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not gonna lie, it's pretty annoying that we've gotten to the point where our national anthem has become a hot-button political issue. If you like having it played on TV, you're a fascist, and if y

This is what I mean when people on here get all excited about new graphics or whatever when a company takes over a TV station.   Fixing this is way more important to a company than a graphic

MeTV has been on a roll. They've been consistent in getting top-notch shows, they produce a late-night movie show, and they've even added a classic cartoon block with Warner Bros. and MGM shorts, some

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Adam MadMan said:

I was listening to Nexstar's earnings call while working, and at one point he mentioned that only 16% of people in the country recognized the NewsNation brand, even admitting that 84% of the US "has no earthly idea" what it is.

 

At least he's honest that nobody's watching...


I’m surprised it was that high…

 

I had heard of NewsNation through this group, but wasn’t aware that WGN America had rebranded until very recently…

 

Jim

Link to post
Share on other sites

Had the WGN brand stuck around on cable for a little longer, could the brand recognition have been higher?  I know WGN on cable isn't what it used to be, but still, keeping it around may have helped NewsNation a little with visibility....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2021 at 3:56 PM, Adam MadMan said:

I was listening to Nexstar's earnings call while working, and at one point he mentioned that only 16% of people in the country recognized the NewsNation brand, even admitting that 84% of the US "has no earthly idea" what it is.

 

At least he's honest that nobody's watching...

That's because he wants much of the viewership to be from the always dwindling ammount of cable subscribers. Basically, he's acting like Randy Marsh in that South Park episode when he bought the town's Blockbuster store....

Edited by hmaxhanson
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

New M&A. 

 

Nexstar want to exercise its option to acquire outright Vaughan's WBDT.

 

It already owns NBC outlet WDTN.

Next up will probably be WYTV, KTKA, and KNVA.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, news89 said:

Next up will probably be WYTV, KTKA, and KNVA.

 

I strongly doubt you'll see WYTV or KTKA going to Nexstar proper, given both are within the top-4 in their respective markets.

 

They could exercise the option and then reassign them to Mission, like they've done with the other former sidecars (Shield, Tamer, etc.) 

 

On the other hand, KNVA (like WBDT) is not in the top-4. And because of the Pai Dereg Rule eliminating the eight-voice test, Nexstar could easily acquire KNVA outright. Also to keep in mind the FCC still treats KBVO Llano as a "satellite" of KXAN (even though it airs different programming).

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

With WYTV and WBDT, WYTV hosts WKBN on their channel and WDTN hosts WBDT.   

 

Why not just cash in the extra licenses?  WBDT can go away while WYTV becomes WKBN (since they sold off their frequency in the auction) and WYTV goes away. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

With WYTV and WBDT, WYTV hosts WKBN on their channel and WDTN hosts WBDT.   

 

Why not just cash in the extra licenses?  WBDT can go away while WYTV becomes WKBN (since they sold off their frequency in the auction) and WYTV goes away. 

 

There's probably a retrans and contractual benefit to having the two licenses. Especially retrans.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Samantha said:

 

There's probably a retrans and contractual benefit to having the two licenses. Especially retrans.

I can see the contractual part being a hangup, especially if a current agreement is in place.

 

Then again, neither factor stopped Sinclair from absorbing their former shell stations, especially when their FOX renewals were up.  That was probably because of the major target on their backs from prior mis-deeds and that these arrangements were done under their watch.  Nexstar inherited these other arrangements from prior owners (but realized the proceeds from cashing in the old spectrum where these stations once were.)

 

And then there are the dual-casts created from missing affiliations (like WLOX and WDAM), and cases like WPGA where they basically walked away from the affiliation (ABC), and it ending up on WGXA.  Either way, they were able to slide their way back onto cable without missing a step, and in other markets, displace the stations that once provided the missing affiliations that filled out the market.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2021 at 4:54 AM, CircleSeven said:

 

I strongly doubt you'll see WYTV or KTKA going to Nexstar proper, given both are within the top-4 in their respective markets.

 

They could exercise the option and then reassign them to Mission, like they've done with the other former sidecars (Shield, Tamer, etc.) 

 

On the other hand, KNVA (like WBDT) is not in the top-4. And because of the Pai Dereg Rule eliminating the eight-voice test, Nexstar could easily acquire KNVA outright. Also to keep in mind the FCC still treats KBVO Llano as a "satellite" of KXAN (even though it airs different programming).

 

 

Relating to Austin and how Nexstar got KXNW in Fort Smith, I wonder if Nexstar could use KCWX being technically licensed to the Austin DMA to acquire that outright and expand into San Antonio. 

Edited by ColtFromGulfcoast
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

Relating to Austin and how Nexstar got KXNW in Fort Smith, I wonder if Nexstar could use KCWX being technically licensed to the Austin DMA to acquire that outright and expand into San Antonio. 

 

KCWX is actually slotted in the SA DMA, though when the DTS is completed it will have transmitters in both cities.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprised that WOIO is taking Rewind TV I thought that WJW would've taken it I see they have Comet & Charge TV as .3 & .4 why not bump both down to .4 or .5. I knew that Rewind TV was going on either Wood TV or WOTV when Kratz network deal ended will be Wood TV .2 which is Bounce TV ION didn't take Bounce on any of the subchannels so Wood TV was the only station to air Bounce.

 

Yeah. kinda surprised that they didn't change anything up on the weekends kinda surprised that Antenna TV will air some 80's shows on the weekend once Rewind TV goes live on Sep 1, Sliver Spoons, Give Me A Break etc fits for Rewind TV. Maybe they will do some specials on the weekend from time to time on Rewind TV.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday Nexstar and SportsGrid announced a partnership to create "SportsGrid Network". SportsGrid mainly covers sports betting. It'll launch on September 1st in 9 markets.
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, AaronQ said:

Yesterday Nexstar and SportsGrid announced a partnership to create "SportsGrid Network". SportsGrid mainly covers sports betting. It'll launch on September 1st in 9 markets.
 

 

 

I'm not up to speed on my sport gambling laws, but I take it that these are markets in states where sports gambling is legal?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe SportsGrid is already available on platforms such as Pluto Tv and Roku channels and the like. I wonder if this will be that same feed, or something new and different from the already-existing feed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another article said it was where they 'had channel space in legal states'...which makes no sense, because if that's the case, they'd be voiding their contract with Weigel to get Movies! off KLAS-DT3 and getting it on there at launch to get on the big casino screens in Las Vegas.

 

That, or they're playing a long game with the rollout; roll it out too fast and it might catch the attention of state authorities and the FCC, then the channel has to air multiple state gambling PSAs and can't make money. And going by an uncensored "Pat McAfee Show" on the Pluto feed...yes, it'll be a bit different.

Edited by mrschimpf
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

Another article said it was where they 'had channel space in legal states'...which makes no sense, because if that's the case, they'd be voiding their contract with Weigel to get Movies! off KLAS-DT3 and getting it on there at launch to get on the big casino screens in Las Vegas.

I suspect they’re focusing on markets where on-line sports betting is permitted (as well as bandwidth).

 

I wouldn’t think they’d need it on KLAS if the casinos wanted it on-screen at the casinos…. If the casinos want it on screens, they’ll find a way to get it on screens…

 

Jim

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sportgrid will replace Laff on Wood TV's .3, Charge will be on WOTV's .3 Sep 1 was on WXMI Fox17 .4 until Feb of this year when the deal ended which Fox17 added GetTV which was WOTV's .2 until Feb which Dabal took over the .2 also on WLLA .6 as well. I don't know if WXSP .3 will be blank or they will have another network on .3 once Court TV Mystery is gone on Sep 1.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Isn’t it amazing how Nexstar was the latest group to the game for live streaming because the C-Suite could never understand why people would watch on their phones. And then… [NN] not being an OTT product. Just amazes me. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.