Nexstar...again

Neat little tidbit of information:

Out of the lower 48 states -- Nexstar now has an audience/voice in 45.

Wyoming, Idaho and Maine are the ONLY three states where a Nexstar signal does not reach. (WWLP reaches the southern fringes of NH according to the FCC's contour map)

?format=1000w

It makes me wonder re: websites:

* In Lafayette, LA and Fort Wayne, Nexstar essentially traded stations. What will happen with the "current" domain on the sold assets, will Nexstar just use it for KLFY and WANE?

* In St. Joseph, MO, Nexstar left the market. Will Heartland Media decide to dump the Nexstar domain to something more traditional like www.kqtv.com ?

It also means Nexstar cannot acquire any more stations in the current regime - they will need to hope and lobby for the FCC to increase the cap. Who becomes the big buyer now?

They can easily solve their cap problems by selling or shutting down KRON and KASW.

According to FTVLive, Nexstar is stuck with KRON thanks to the spectrum auction being a bust.

Yeah, after the clearing cost (the total amount the FCC pays to the stations that sell their spectrum) was $86 Billion in Stage 1 of the auction, the clearing cost in Stage 4 of the auction is only $10 Billion. So Nexstar is probably better off keeping KRON, since they aren't going to get as much money as they originally thought.

Yeah right, they have never been outside a distant fourth place in ratings...

That and the fact that their ratings have basically been flat for the last several sweeps periods. It's a problem that not even Nexstar has been able to solve.

• Like 3

Wyoming, Idaho and Maine are the ONLY three states where a Nexstar signal does not reach.

If you take into account translators, KTVX's OTA signal reaches into parts of southeast Idaho and southwest Wyoming. Those areas are also within the Salt Lake City DMA.

Wyoming, Idaho and Maine are the ONLY three states where a Nexstar signal does not reach. (WWLP reaches the southern fringes of NH according to the FCC's contour map)

?format=1000w

?format=1000w

NH already had Nexstar coverage: Grafton and Sullivan counties are in the Burlington DMA and get WFFF/WVNY as do odd parts of Coös and Cheshire counties. More solid of a claim than WBRE/WYOU in New Jersey or WHTM in Delaware.

?format=1000w

Where did this map come from? It looks like it's missing a few stations (KRON, WISH, WOWK, KRQE), in addition to a whole state (Hawaii and KHON).

As far as the endtag, I've noticed that some stations have it customized to their markets and other stations just have a generic "national" version. I guess Nexstar decided to leave it up to each station on how they wanted to handle it.

• Like 1

From the looks of things, things will be status quo, at least from a back-office perspective, until March 1st.

Sort of ironic in that is also Ash Wednesday and the 40 days of Lent that follows. The final day is Mardi Gras, which is a MAJOR event in places like Mobile, coastal Mississippi and Louisiana.

I don't know if WLFY goes all out for coverage that day, but WKRG does and has for years. Almost like a huge jazz funeral for Media General and the ensuing changes that could follow thereafter....

• Like 1

As far as I know, for the MG-turned-Nexstar news producing stations (i.e. excluding those being shuffled off to someone else), here is how they rank in the markets, and who (in alphabetical order) are the competitors:

KELO+ - Dominant 1st (competitors: Gray, Red River)

KHON+ - 2nd (competitors: Raycom, SJL)- as far as I know KHON is generally #1

KLFY - 2nd (competitors: Bayou City, Cordillera)

KOIN - 2nd (competitors: Meredith, Sinclair, Tegna)

KRON - Distant 5th (or worse) (competitors: networks)

KRQE - 3rd? (competitors: Hearst, Hubbard) (not too familiar with the market)

KSNT - Distant 2nd (competitor: Gray)

KSNW+ - 2nd? (competitors: Gray, Lockwood, Sinclair) (not sure if KWCH+ is ahead of KSNW+)

KXAN - 1st (competitors: Fox, Sinclair, Tegna)

KXRM - 4th (competitors: Cordillera, Gray, NPG)

WANE - Dominant 1st (competitors: Heartland, Quincy)- not sure if dominant anymore and may even be #2 now

WATE - 3rd? (competitors: Gray, Tegna) (not too familiar with the market overall)- #2 I think

WAVY - Dominant 1st (competitors: Tegna, Tribune)- #1 but not sure if dominant is accurate

WBTW - Dominant 1st (competitors: Raycom, Sinclair)

WCBD - Distant 2nd (competitors: Raycom, Sinclair)

WCMH - 3rd (competitors: Dispatch, Sinclair)

WDTN - Distant 2nd (competitors: Cox, Sinclair)

WFLA - 1st (competitors: Fox, Scripps, Tegna)- No. WTVT is usually #1 and WFTS has become more competitive in some time slots

WHTM - 2nd (competitors: Hearst, Sinclair, Tribune)

WIAT - 4th (competitors: Hearst, Raycom, Sinclair)- #3 I think unless WVTM has improved

WISH - 4th (competitors: Dispatch, Scripps, Tribune)- I think #3 for the most part.

WIVB - 3rd (competitors: Scripps, Tegna)- No. Made gains in November and is #1 in some, #2 in others. WKBW is still #3 by a bit.

WJBF - 2nd (competitors: Gray, Raycom)- I thought they were #1

WJHL - 2nd (competitor: Bonten)

WJTV - 2nd (competitors: Hearst, Raycom) (satellite WHLT in a separate market but with no local news)

WKBN - Distant 2nd (competitor: local owner)

WKRG - Close 1st (competitors: Meredith, Sinclair)

WKRN - 3rd (competitors: Meredith, Scripps, Sinclair)

WLNS - 2nd (competitor: Gray)- Might be #1 not sure

WNCN - Distant 3rd (competitors: ABC/Disney, Capitol)

WNCT - Close 3rd (competitors: Bonten, Gray)

WOOD - 1st? (competitors: Sinclair, Tegna, Tribune) (not too familiar with the market overall; WOTV outside top 4)- Yes

WPRI - 2nd (competitors: Citadel, Sinclair)

WRBL - Distant 2nd (competitors: Raycom, SagamoreHill)

WRIC - 3rd (competitors: Raycom, Tribune)

WSAV - Distant 2nd (competitors: Hearst, Raycom, Sinclair)

WSPA - 2nd (competitors: Hearst, Meredith, Sinclair)

WTEN - 1st (competitors: Hubbard, Sinclair)- Not sure, I know they were #3 in the past but the market has changed

WTNH - 2nd (competitors: Meredith, NBCU, Tribune)

WWLP - 1st (competitor: Meredith)- Yes, and dominant.

It will be interesting to see how these change afterward...by the way, of the stations that Nexstar is not acquiring, two are market leaders (KWQC and WBAY) and one has no real competition (WLFI).

My replies are within quote.

• Like 1

Are they capped out yet or is Nexstar hungry for buying more stations?

38.9%. They're basically stuck like Sinclair & Fox, unless they try to lobby to raise the 39% cap. And they would have to get approval from Congress.

Now that Media General has been consummated and the associated divestitures have taken place, that's probably been what's holding up the deal.

The FCC greenlighted the WVMH stations back last August, but Nexstar didn't close it, probably waiting for the greenlight for the MG transaction.

Since the MG deal is done, it shouldn't be too long before they close this one out.

Has it passed anyone's mind that with the MG and WVMH deals closed or about to close that Perry Sook, the Cap Cities fanboy, has practically recreated Cap Cities minus Philly and Houston?

• The first Cap Cities TV station was WCDA, forerunner to today's WTEN.
  • The second was the incumbent CBS station for the Triangle (WTVD for Cap Cities, WNCN for Nexstar)
  • The third Cap Cities TV station was channel 12 in Providence (WPRO then/WPRI now)
  • The fourth was a VHF in Buffalo (WKBW for Cap Cities, WIVB for Nexstar)
  • The fifth was a VHF serving most of West Virginia (WSAZ for Cap Cities, WOWK for Nexstar)
  • Later additions included WTNH and a station in Frenso (KFSN for Cap Cities, KSEE/KGPE for Nexstar)
  • Finally, a UHF in Tampa to close it out (WFTS for Cap Cities, WTTA for Nexstar)

• Like 1

• 24994J locked this topic
  • Weeters unlocked this topic