Nexstar...again

On 12/24/2018 at 4:37 PM, JCB4TV said:

Let's Take a closer look;

Montgomery, AL: They can open a bureau to supplement their Birmingham and Mobile operations

Juneau, AK: No operation in Alaska, Graycom Turf

Phoenix, AZ: They have KASW, but no news operation

Little Rock, AR: KARK

Sacramento, CA: In process of acquiring KTXL from Trubune

Denver, CO: Bureau for their existing operation - KXRM

Hartford, CT: WTNH

Dover, DE: No operation serving Delaware

Tallahassee, FL: Their closest operations are WMBB, WEAR, & WFLA

Atlanta, GA: Bureau for their existing operations

Honolulu, HI: KHON

Boise, ID: No operation in Idaho

Springfield, IL: WCIA, who can assist WGN once Nexstar take over in Chicago

Indianapolis, IN: WISH

Des Moines, IA: WOI or WHO, whichever Perry decides to keep

Topeka: KS: KSNT

Frankfort, KY: No operation

Baton Rouge, LA: WVLA

Augusta, ME: No operation

Annapolis, MD; No operation - This is Sinclair's turf

Boston, MA: Bureau for their existing operations - WWLP and WPRI for Bristol County

Lansing, MI: WLNS

St. Paul, MN: No operation

Jackson, MS: WJTV

Jefferson City, MO: Nexstar might call the University of Missouri and see whether KOMU is available

Helena, MT: No news operaion in Billings

Lincoln, NE: No operation - They should call Citadel to see whether KLKN is available - Graycom turf for now

Carson City, NV: No operation in Reno DMA, yet KLAS in Las Vegas

Concord, NH: No operation

Trenton, NJ: No operation

Santa Fe, NM: KRQE

Albany, NY: WTEN

Raleigh, NC: WNCN

Bismark, ND: KX News

Columbus, OH: WCMH

Oklahoma City, OK: In process of acquiring KFOR from Tribune

Salem, OR: KOIN

Harrisburg, PA: WHTM

Providence, RI: WPRI

Columbia, SC: Bureau for their existing operations

Pierre, SD: KELO Land

Nashville, TN: WKRN

Austin, TX: KAXN

Salt Lake City, UT: KTVX

Montpelier, VT: WVNY

Richmond, VA: WRIC

Olympia, WA: No operation

Charleston, WV: WOWK

Madison, WI: Bureau for their existing operations

Cheyenne, WY: No operation

Of those states, they are completely absent - even with Tribune - from Alaska, Idaho, Maine, Minnesota (they do have stations along the WI border but no news operations), Nebraska, New Hampshire and Wyoming. Since KASW and WPHL seems like duopoly bait, Arizona and Delaware (no Delmarva stations) may also be removed from Nexstar's grasp too.

They'd have to clear cap space to buy any additional stations though.

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, scrabbleship said:

I'd love to do a L-R field guide of who's who. The problem is that some logos are recycled (the two Eyewitness News's on the left, probably WBRE/WYOU and WEHT/WTVW).

Plus I’m convinced that one of the mic flags is outdated - I’m positive there’s an old CBS North Carolina flag in there.

still, that’s disgusting. 

I see many outdated logos... more noticeably right off bat KFLY's old 10 logo.. and yes there is the CBS North Carolina one there (to the left of WISH's 8 ) also WHTM's old 27 is there... WOOD-tv does not use the 24-hour news 8 mic flags anymore either

Edited by MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie

6 minutes ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

I see many outdated logos... more noticeably right off bat KFLY's old 10 logo.. and yes there is the CBS North Carolina one there (to the left of WISH's 8 ) also WHTM's old 27 is there...

That pic is from the 2017 Super Bowl. The pic above that is this year's. 

Edited by MyNewsArchive

44 minutes ago, HulkieD said:

Plus I’m convinced that one of the mic flags is outdated - I’m positive there’s an old CBS North Carolina flag in there.

still, that’s disgusting. 

Plus you have to haul and lug all those flags, and you have to keep track of the stand-ups making sure they match stations, you have to be cautious of outdated logos or network affiliation switches.

...and if and when you screw one up...it's all YOUR fault.

How about just No mic flag and a nice new black Electro VoiceRE-50...

Or a nice new black  RE-50 and a generic Nexstar flag?

Edited by Eat News
Yubin-Thank You So Much https://youtu.be/eiCDZYdPmys
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

I see many outdated logos... more noticeably right off bat KFLY's old 10 logo.. and yes there is the CBS North Carolina one there (to the left of WISH's 8 ) also WHTM's old 27 is there... WOOD-tv does not use the 24-hour news 8 mic flags anymore either

What kind of mic flags is WOOD using?

3 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

What kind of mic flags is WOOD using?

The fourth girl in the front is covering it with her hand... it's just the big 8 with woodtv.com in white on the corners... Very similar to sister station WLNS.. theirs is a big 6 with wlns.com in white in the corners

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Eat News said:

This collection has over 100 flags and took over 40  years to collect .

Think of all the fun you could have with those.

image.png.a5d1d04b34b53bfd500f8c06a6dfe836.png

Woah!!! I see KCRA, KVBC, WPVI, KABC, Orange County Newschannel, KSBW, KCAL, KUSI, WPRI, KCOP, KOLD?, ESPN, ESPN2, XETV, KSBY, KFI, KTRH, KSDQ?, Univision, KMPH, KEYT, KPIX, KTBC, KNBC and a whole lot more! This would be a collection that I would love to have.

1 hour ago, mre29 said:

So, who's the poor schmuck who has to keep track of all those mic flags this week? And do they all have to be shipped back to their respective stations?

Likely they’re kept at the DC Bureau or a station that always contributes to a team of reporters. Mic flags are cheap (start at around $50/piece - down to $30 or $20s if you buy more than 10 or 20 respectively ) and stations should be able spare one or two.

KASW did something: they acquired Phoenix Rising (USL) rights for 35 games including all USL fixtures. It may be a second-division team established in 2016, but it's rapidly catching fire here and almost won the USL league this past season. The rights move over from YurView (Cox), so this is the first time games will be available OTA. The deal doesn't affect streaming rights, which remain with ESPN+ (though streaming viewers only get the PRFC commentators for home games).

The first game is a tournament game against Real Salt Lake on February 16. The station will also produce a local halftime show.

This is the biggest sports rights get in 61's recent history and arguably the most impactful development since becoming a separate concern. The station had previously carried some Coyotes games from 1996-2006 (and one in 2013) and was the local OTA simulcast carrier for the 2015 NFC Wild Card Game.

Also, reading articles that say "Your Phoenix CW" is a massive, massive kludge.

Edited by Ramona

• 24994J locked this topic
  • Weeters unlocked this topic