Nexstar...again

Posted earlier, but I'll post it here too.

Nexstar is acquiring stations owned by Grant Communications for $87.5M.

Fox station KLJB will be assigned to Mission, and Nexstar will operate it under a LMA. Nexstar will own KGCW outright and the pending sale of three Citadel stations, including WHBF. So WHBF, KLJB & KGCW will be controlled by Nexstar in the Quads.

With WHBF being an underdog, I believe Nexstar will make a much needed infrastructure into WHBF, and to have Fox station KLJB, this will be the first time that all of the Big-3 stations in town have produced its 9pm newscast at some point in time. Of course the first one who produced their newscast was local outsourced news firm Independent News Network. Then later WQAD, and right now KWQC. Now with this ownership change, they can easily end that agreement, once the deal closes.

As for the other three markets, WLAX/WEUX is north of the Quads, and it goes kind of well with WFRV in Green Bay, and WZDX in Huntsville probably boost its Alabama presents with WDHN in Dothan (although Nexstar should pursue acquiring the full Calkins stations, including WAAY), Grant's flagship stations would be the first for Nexstar in that part of that region. It probably makes me thing that Nexstar could pursue in acquiring MG's WSLS, or MG could use its shell card to acquire WFXR in the future. With WLAX/WEUX, it makes me think that they're probably want to acquire the Morgan Murphy stations in Wisconsin, since they own WKBT, and it's flagship WISC in Madison.

So although the Roanoke properties gives them another "island", the other properties shows how I love Nexstar's wise decision and have a strategic way to acquiring stations that makes the most sense. And for that I commend Perry Sook and the folks at Nexstar.

So I think everybody should look at the Quad Cities market, because by the Spring, if not earlier, it would be the first time that all of the commercial TV stations in that market will have new owners (KWQC - Media General & WQAD - Tribune, along with WHBF/KLJB/KGCW - Nexstar).

Good because WHBF, along with the other Citadel stations that Nexstar is acquiring, need a MAJOR refresh. I could even see WOI completely relaunch, WPTY-to-WATN style.

Good because WHBF, along with the other Citadel stations that Nexstar is acquiring, need a MAJOR refresh. I could even see WOI completely relaunch, WPTY-to-WATN style.

I'd hate to see them lose the call letter though considering their historical significance. But I agree that WOI desperately needs a WATN-style overhaul if they want any chance to battle the behemoth that is KCCI.

I'd hate to see them lose the call letter though considering their historical significance. But I agree that WOI desperately needs a WATN-style overhaul if they want any chance to battle the behemoth that is KCCI.

I hope they don't change the callsign, especially since another station in that market also have a "W" in their calls (WHO). But I do agree, Nexstar needs to pour some capital into WOI. I doubt they can over-power the old-mighty 8 or even second-place 13. But if they can make the right investments that can breathe some life into WOI and two other stations, WHBF & KCAU, and to at least be competitive with WHO & KCCI, that would no doubt be an improvement.

But I doubt Nexstar will change their calls. Not only it has a "W", but a three-letter call too? That would be a suicide move.

I didn't even realize this either until someone from this board mention it. But most of the acquisitions that Nexstar is making. Not only they're clustering up in some of their key areas like Texas, Arkansas, Lousiana & especially Upstate NY, they tend to acquire these underdog stations. KGPE, KSEE, KGET & yes WPTY are prime examples of being these underdog stations, and what Nexstar have been doing is trying to breathe the life into its stations by pouring capital on building new sets, and graphics, and all of that. Yes back as late as probably before the Ozarks became the first widescreen & KARK became the first with news in HD, Nexstar was flocked with an exceeding cheap product. And their websites weren't even news friendly. Yes they still use those citystyle name gimicks, but now those webpages are better than ever, since acquiring Clear Channel's Inergize. And like some have said here, they're not making crazy impulsive, compulsive buying, or any major "blockbuster" lucrative deals like Gannett, Tribune & Media General.

I even had some doubts about Nexstar, but I think Nexstar has really turned a 180 and they have really made a gigantous difference in 2013. And for that I commend them.

Now I just hope and hurry up and approve the ComCorp acquisition. We're now in its 6th month now since the paperwork have been filed.

Now I just hope and hurry up and approve the ComCorp acquisition. We're now in its 6th month now since the paperwork have been filed.

Funny, I was just about to bring that up. Anybody know the status of the deal? It would be good to know what Nexstar can do to clean up (and maybe stir up?) some things at KETK/56 (much less what Mission will do with KFXK/51).

Funny, I was just about to bring that up. Anybody know the status of the deal? It would be good to know what Nexstar can do to clean up (and maybe stir up?) some things at KETK/56 (much less what Mission will do with KFXK/51).

They will probably keep everything status quo. Comcorp and Nexstar operate similarly.

They will probably keep everything status quo. Comcorp and Nexstar operate similarly.

Except ComCorp is on a much tighter budget and has often hubbed/pre-taped local news for its stations. They are similar in their mastery of virtual duopolies but not in the budget. If Nexstar buys ComCorp, I'd expect to see some freshness added to the Baton Rouge and Tyler clusters.

Except ComCorp is on a much tighter budget and has often hubbed/pre-taped local news for its stations. They are similar in their mastery of virtual duopolies but not in the budget. If Nexstar buys ComCorp, I'd expect to see some freshness added to the Baton Rouge and Tyler clusters.

Sorry, can't see it happening in Tyler. Maybe Baton Rogue. I know that in Shreveport and in Midland/Odessa, Nexstar stations there will probably produce primetime newscasts but that's all I see happening.

Tyler could benefit from it though. For those not aware of KETK's news, the content and style is almost like Fox News-local with a very evident conservative bias on their political and government stories. Their ND Neal Barton (who also doubles as their main anchor, whether that will change under Nexstar is unknown) does commentary after every weeknight 5PM newscast called "Point of View with Neal Barton" which are very conservative in tone. And this station used to have a segment called "Talk Back" on their morning news where they partnered with a local radio station and they had this host Garth Maier read comments on a pre-determined topic (which were also politically conservative in tone) until they got in hot water

and did away with their segment. I hope this crap ends with Nexstar ownership. They can keep Barton as main anchor for all I care but please get a REAL ND not out to pass a political agenda, or heck switch Barton to weather since he is also a meteorologist. He can stick to weather since weather is a non-political subject. Their current weather guy is
. KETK makes Sinclair's national reports look neutral and balanced in comparison.

Tyler could benefit from it though. For those not aware of KETK's news, the content and style is almost like Fox News-local with a very evident conservative bias on their political and government stories. Their ND Neal Barton (who also doubles as their main anchor, whether that will change under Nexstar is unknown) does commentary after every weeknight 5PM newscast called "Point of View with Neal Barton" which are very conservative in tone. And this station used to have a segment called "Talk Back" on their morning news where they partnered with a local radio station and they had this host Garth Maier read comments on a pre-determined topic (which were also politically conservative in tone) until they got in hot water

and did away with their segment. I hope this crap ends with Nexstar ownership. They can keep Barton as main anchor for all I care but please get a REAL ND not out to pass a political agenda, or heck switch Barton to weather since he is also a meteorologist. He can stick to weather since weather is a non-political subject. Their current weather guy is
. KETK makes Sinclair's national reports look neutral and balanced in comparison.

Thank you!! Good it's not just in my head..... It's kinda sad to see what they've become, when I can remember well what they used to be, and how they started out.

Sorry, can't see it happening in Tyler. Maybe Baton Rogue. I know that in Shreveport and in Midland/Odessa, Nexstar stations there will probably produce primetime newscasts but that's all I see happening.

I imagine that formula will change once Nexstar takes control, I don't think Nexstar tolerates that kind of crap. One think I like about Nexstar over other station groups is that their news departments don't seem to have a political agenda (unless it's buried under all that "Local" branding).

I hope they don't change the callsign, especially since another station in that market also have a "W" in their calls (WHO). But I do agree, Nexstar needs to pour some capital into WOI. I doubt they can over-power the old-mighty 8 or even second-place 13. But if they can make the right investments that can breathe some life into WOI and two other stations, WHBF & KCAU, and to at least be competitive with WHO & KCCI, that would no doubt be an improvement.

But I doubt Nexstar will change their calls. Not only it has a "W", but a three-letter call too? That would be a suicide move.

I didn't even realize this either until someone from this board mention it. But most of the acquisitions that Nexstar is making. Not only they're clustering up in some of their key areas like Texas, Arkansas, Lousiana & especially Upstate NY, they tend to acquire these underdog stations. KGPE, KSEE, KGET & yes WPTY are prime examples of being these underdog stations, and what Nexstar have been doing is trying to breathe the life into its stations by pouring capital on building new sets, and graphics, and all of that. Yes back as late as probably before the Ozarks became the first widescreen & KARK became the first with news in HD, Nexstar was flocked with an exceeding cheap product. And their websites weren't even news friendly. Yes they still use those citystyle name gimicks, but now those webpages are better than ever, since acquiring Clear Channel's Inergize. And like some have said here, they're not making crazy impulsive, compulsive buying, or any major "blockbuster" lucrative deals like Gannett, Tribune & Media General.

I even had some doubts about Nexstar, but I think Nexstar has really turned a 180 and they have really made a gigantous difference in 2013. And for that I commend them.

Isn't KGET the dominant #1 in Bakersfield?

The Paperwork Is Up!!!!

Since I didn't post the Citadel and Brady's "Stainless" acquisition, I will include those as well.

Alrighty, here's the thorough breakdown list of the assignment of license/transfer of control applications of the stations owned by the Estate of Milton Grant and Grant Company, Inc. to Nexstar Broadcasting Group, including transaction description and the stock purchase agreement. The announcement of the deal took place on November 6th and all the paperwork was posted on the FCC site Today (11/21/13). Prior to the announcement, there was a separate transfer of control of Grant's Estate from the Bessemer Trust of Florida to Cabell Williams. That transfer was approved on October 28.

This is a rarity to me, because nearly all of the applications are filed by Form 315 Transfer of Control application, and not the 314 Assignment of License apps that I usually see on Nexstar-related apps. The only 314 app is the KLJB application, which the only one station that's being assigned to Mission Broadcasting. Also, Nexstar has asked for the FCC to continue the current satellite waivers for WEUX in Chippewa Falls (repeats WLAX La Crosse) and WWCW in Lynchburg (repeats WFXR Roanoke), and to continue to operate KGCW in Burlington, IA under a 'failed station waiver'. I guess the only one that doesn't have any of those things is WZDX in Huntsville. The Purchase Price of the deal, $87.5M. In a separate asset purchase agreement. Mission will pay $15.3M for KLJB.

Okay here's the paperwork of the applications to consent to assign the licenses (Form 314) of the stations owned by Citadel Communications (WHBF, KCAU and WOI) to Nexstar Broadcasting Group. The deals were made on September 16, which also on that date, Nexstar immediately took over operations through time brokerage agreements. The paperwork was posted on September 27th.

Each station had separate asset purchase agreements. WOI was the only one that was a "stock purchase agreement", while WHBF & KCAU's were APAs. WHBF's APA stated that the "initial closing" price is $24.5M, and the "second closing" price is $4.2M, totalling $28.7M. KCAU's APA state that their "initial closing" price is $20.5M, and the "second closing" price is $3.3M, totalling $23.8M. And WOI's SPA states that their purchase price was $35.5M (no second closing price). So to add everything up (WOI's $35.5M, WHBF's $28.7M & KCAU's $23.8M) brings the total purchase price for all three stations to $88M.

Finally here's the paperwork of the assignment of license application of the stations (WICZ & WBPN-LD) from Stainless Broadcasting to Mission Broadcasting Inc. The paperwork was made on September 13, the deal was announced three days later (same day as the Citadel deal), and the paperwork was posted on October 1st. Nexstar will provide shared services, sale of commercial time, option agreement and of course, will guarantee Mission's debt. On their APA, the purchase price is $15.25M.

So that's the paperwork. But to me this its like and end of an era for sorts. Brady leaves Binghamton, the Citadel heads are slowing their roles, and the "Grant" name goes away for good.

All this time, Brady had held on to WICZ and now he's finally selling one of his longest stations to Nexstar. But it's probably best for him, since he's now concentrated more on his west coast properties in Spokane, Yakima and Medford. But he will pretty soon own WSYT and operate WNYS in Syracuse. So its not like he's leaving the upstate anytime soon. So from Binghamton to Syracuse, and that's probably an upside. He's also awaiting on the FCC decision on his failed station waiver, so he can run both KYMA & KSWT, which I think that will get the greenlight. Even though Brady isn't one of those massive media companies that made the news in this M&A Media Wave of 2013, he has made some stunning news by buying things by the pieces with the Syracuse and the Yuma properties. I just hope he makes the much needed investments in the Yuma and Syracuse properties.

As for the heads of Citadel, I'd said this before. Even though they've announced that they're going to slow down, I think it's just a matter of time before they'll end up hanging it up for good. Promised that they have some unfinished business, I have a good feeling, and I'm happy that I'm not the only one, that Citadel might pursue to acquire the NTV properties from Pappas. I think both KLKN & NTV would benefit. I'm pondering how are they're going to do this. Would they file a fail station waiver to acquire NTV or try to form a new satellite waiver and have the NTV relay KLKN's programming. Whatever they do, I would hope they would finally link ABC through the entire market like they said. They might as well try to form a shell to acquire KFXL as well or keep the same licensee who's holding KFXL. And after all of that, Citadel would probably sell the remaining stations. Sad to say this but since they have Omaha, Sinclair would probably want the that Lincoln cluster due west to match their Omaha footprint.

I'm not too sure about WLNE. And while I really want Hearst to buy it, they probably may not even bother with. So you know what, why not put a "Shield" on it, and call it a day. It will forever be the ratings dump, while WPRI & WJAR continue with their ratings glory. Sinclair would've want WLNE if would've kept WLWC, of course they would've had to use a shell. But other than Portland, ME (and sometime in Springfield, MA), they're very stagnant in the New England region. WLWN-LD could be prone to speculator-bate. All these wireless firms want to buy useless stations so they can cash-in for the auctions. Pappas probably got some stations that could easily be speculator bate (WLGA & WIWN). So in other words, Citadel would probably be around for a little bit longer, but eventually the curtain will close at some point. And after that, we don't have to worry about which Citadel it is because both would already had been gone. :lol:

As for Grant, I was too little to remember when Grant owned WGBO Super 66, but the Grant style logos will always be lodged in my memory, since the station used that logo all the way to 1994 when Univision bought the station, and finally made the station profitable. You would never thought a station that Grant own would have all these problems, then filing for chapter 11, then going to receivership, then sell the station to the creditors and the creditors would hold on to the station for four years, then sell it to a spanish network, and eventually make WGBO one of the leading spanish stations in the country. What would've happened if Univision didn't buy WGBO, would the station go bust and close shop before the year 2000? But Grant didn't want to make that mistake twice and went to another station venture and bought the current line of stations. Milton Grant passed on in 2007, but I will always remember him for those logos. Who could ever forget logos like this:

WGBO_1987.jpg

May Milton Grant rest in peace. You might not hear his name ever again in TV ownership, but his history and his "logos" will live on in his memory.

And finally, I never in the over two years span, one group that have done their homework through all of these deals more than Nexstar. While Tribune, Gannett & Media General made their blockbuster news acquiring another big group, and Sinclair is just buying anything and everything but the kitchen sink in the last 26 months, I don't think a group have made better news than Nexstar. After buying a chunk of Newport stations, and finally divested a former NBC affiliate in Beaumont, then this year, buying KSEE, and turned a 180 buiding two news sets for both KSEE & KGPE, PLUS, moving its Memphis WPTY to a former phone call-in center and move a news set from Little Rock to Memphis. I would never thought that Nexstar would turn from a group of uncertainty, even contemplating a possible sale, to making it almost one of the best groups out there today. They've done heavy capital in Fresno & Memphis, and I don't think it would stop there after these proposed sales be finalized. Also, usually the underdog stations stay underdogs because of lack of investment and improvement. I don't think that Nexstar's intent but they tend to buy these underdog stations, and then breath some life into these stations buy doing these investments. WPTY & WLMT are underdogs. KSEE & KGPE are also underdogs. Hell both 24 & 47 are nothing like 30, but they do make good into their investments. And hopefully overtime, there will be proper results after these improvements.

I see nothing but the best for Nexstar. I will tell anyone that I'm Gari-bias. But Nexstar has worked their magic with the uses of all these Arnold themes. Remember 7 years ago when Arnold was dropped. I don't that was a lasting memory. I'm worried that Arnold could topple Gari as #1 music provider (I hope that don't happen). But anyway, the cosmetic and the presentation wise, make Nexstar a serious player in the business. We could say a few years ago, they were literally a joke. I mean rediculous. But since they're strategic M&A decisions and the proper investments, Nexstar have become one of best out there now. I have nothing but the highest praise, and I'm hoping they'll continue with their success in 2014.

They're good now. They're all good. Can't say that about the "Heathens of Hunt Valley".

Okay, the B&C states that the American Cable Association & Time Warner Cable wants to try to block the WICZ deal to Mission Broadcasting.

DAMN! Are they're going to do this with every deal they see? After doing it with every other big deal (Gannett/Belo, Tribune/Local TV, Sinclair/Allbritton), they've also done it with the Sinclair/New Age. And now this. And isn't it too late to file an informal objection/petition to deny for this deal. It's already have been over 7 weeks since the paperwork have been filed.

Although I think they do have a point in their formal objections, I have strong doubt that the FCC is going to go in their favor in any of the deals they've made objections to. And all they're doing is making a whole lot of noise, just like Free Press is.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to cause an alarm but, today is December 6. The paperwork that was filed for the ComCorp stations was May 6. We're at SEVEN months now.

Do we have to wait until January 6 to see this deal get greenlighted by the FCC (like the same length as the Barrington deal (8 months))? Or will the long wait is finally near its end? This was the last major acquisition before those bigger deals were announced and docketed in the summer with Gannett, Media General & Tribune. And although this deal wasn't docketed, and didn't have any informal objections or petitions of deny, the deal do have conflicts, including possible forming virtual triplesticks in Shreveport & Evansville. I'm hoping the wait won't last any longer, but I'm thinking that the FCC isn't at any rush, and probably taking heed by those politicians to slow down on greenlighting any further pending deals.

Tuesday was the first anniversary since the announcement of the closings of the big chunk of Newport stations going to Nexstar, Sinclair and Cox. Of course the one whose done most of the heavy lifting since that time have been Nexstar (looking at Memphis & Fresno).

But remember when I said this last year?

I think 2012 will be marked as the year of 'Television Station Transactions'. I've never seen stations have been bought out by other companies at a higher rate in this 15 months span, and its not over yet. It doesn't make any sense that some companies or the suits & the higher ups at these companies are completely greedy bastards. All they care about is making money of having many stations, instead of investing into those stations. Quantity over Quality will lose every time. Nexstar just now invested into its existing stations after lagging way behind started doing the proper infrastucture for its stations (and they're still lagging). But let both clubs have their fun because once the FCC start doing those auctions, everything will hit the fan.

Forget what I said last year. I think 2013 was the year, and I think it overtop what happened last year, with more stations changed hands or proposing to change hands this year. And I hate to say this but despite some who are trying to slow down these slew of deals, I doubt this would end this now 27-month M&A Craze. I think 2014 would have even more surprises, and lets not forget those auctions too.

The second-shell conflicts might be the holdup here. Evansville is especially problematic as Nexstar would control every commercial station except one (WFIE). However, in that case, WEVV would be nothing more than spectrum bait otherwise as there is no news operation there.

Have the stations that have seen major investments (or dis-investments) seen ratings changes? In the case of Memphis, WATN has three strong competitors. I am sure the competitors still wish that Sinclair got WREG...

The second-shell conflicts might be the holdup here. Evansville is especially problematic as Nexstar would control every commercial station except one (WFIE). However, in that case, WEVV would be nothing more than spectrum bait otherwise as there is no news operation there.

Have the stations that have seen major investments (or dis-investments) seen ratings changes? In the case of Memphis, WATN has three strong competitors. I am sure the competitors still wish that Sinclair got WREG...[/quote/]

agreed with you, but one question: where would CBS go if WEVV decides to go dark in broadcasting terms?

Would it be possible if WTVW drop The CW and grab the CBS Affiliate, or is it too soon for WTVW to be a CBS station.

I personally think that it might be too soon for WTVW to get CBS. However, if WTVW did, the CW might end up on it's DT2 or .3

Remember, Nexstar is not quite interested in dt2 or dt3 channels unless there is an need for an network on the subchannels.

Would it be possible if WTVW drop The CW and grab the CBS Affiliate, or is it too soon for WTVW to be a CBS station.

That certainly would be a possibility particularly if Nexstar can actually get ComCorp. WTVW is a station with a much stronger market identity than WEVV (which most people at least on this board remember for its failed attempts at a local newscast).

• 2 weeks later...

So Gray will have CBS and NBC in Panama City and Dothan, Nexstar will have ABC in Panama City and Dothan and Raycom will have Fox in Panama City and Dothan.

I would hazard a guess that Nexstar (through Mission) has made an inquiry to Raycom about their Fox stations.

So Gray will have CBS and NBC in Panama City and Dothan, Nexstar will have ABC in Panama City and Dothan and Raycom will have Fox in Panama City and Dothan.

I would hazard a guess that Nexstar (through Mission) has made an inquiry to Raycom about their Fox stations.

Even though I've been preaching about this Gray/Raycom thing, having Nexstar use the Mission card for WDFX & WPGX would be a massive improvement for both stations involved.

• 24994J locked this topic
  • Weeters unlocked this topic