Nexstar...again

If it hadn't been swapped by Pulitzer in the 1980s, Hearst would own it now - although I don't know how much they would want it being a distant third place station (and Sinclair would have had WYFF and WXII as well, in both cases would be triopolies, which would make WSPA and WFMY really excited since they would probably be dominant stations instead of in close competition).

Hearst probably couldn't have owned WCVB and WLNE together under the old laws.

Also, mrtraveler01, perhaps you'll get the site names dead-on like I did that one time!

Oh boy.

Here comes WeAreDesMoines.com and QuadCitiesProud.com.

Seriously though, having Nexstar as an owner would be an improvement for these stations.

It's only been a year since the Citadel stations started 24-hour operation. One positive that will come out of it will be that Nexstar will deep-six Live Well on its acquired stations. They're not too fond of subchannel-specific nets, but they've kept Me-TV on a few of the former Newport stations.

It's only been a year since the Citadel stations started 24-hour operation. One positive that will come out of it will be that Nexstar will deep-six Live Well on its acquired stations. They're not too fond of subchannel-specific nets, but they've kept Me-TV on a few of the former Newport stations.

My gripe with Citadel is how little they invest in their station's newscasts (and how cheap they look).

Just look at WOI and how it fares compare to WHO and KCCI in terms of production quality, journalism quality, and overall ratings

Nexstar will hopefully put the effort into making these stations more competitive.

Maybe they'll stop favoring recent Emerson College grads at their stations once Nexstar takes over (but then they'll start favoring people from Texas...).

If it hadn't been swapped by Pulitzer in the 1980s, Hearst would own it now - although I don't know how much they would want it being a distant third place station (and Sinclair would have had WYFF and WXII as well, in both cases would be triopolies, which would make WSPA and WFMY really excited since they would probably be dominant stations instead of in close competition).

I don't like when these come up. In a perfect world, yes Hearst would've owned it. But Hearst could've sold it to somebody else within that time frame. Sinclair may not have had triopolies, they could've sold to someone else. WLOS could've been sold to Gannett instead of Sinclair (for example). So none of that would have happened. Speculation at its finest...

35546125001_2676076529001_vs-52373c2de4b0609cecf550ed-1592194016001.jpg

The only thing I wouldn't like cosmetically is that Gari-land would be ceased. And the musical force of Arnold would return. Pinnacle might not come back, but something will. But I wouldn't mind them getting rid of those ridiculous Circle logos and getting the WATN treatment. Rebranding WOI by its calls and returning the Eyewitness News name would be lovely.

All of those Citadel stations have a tough road. KCAU, I think, is just down the street from all the municipal government buildings in Sioux City. But it resides in an ancient building with structural issues. WOI is licensed to Ames, and has always been seen as a competitive outsider, even though the physical station has been in Des Moines for a long time.

KLKN - and I don't know who would actually want them -- sued a former worker last year for twice her annual salary because she quit and they had to spend money to hire and train someone new. That should tell you a lot about Citadel.

TVNewsCheck is posting that the Citadel leaders Ray Cole & Phil Lombardo stated that although they're selling their Iowa cluster, they pointed out that there's some "unfinished business" with its two remaining stations, KLKN & WLNE.

He stated that he plans to expand the reach of KLKN towards the entire Lincoln market. I don't know how you're going to do that, unless they want to buy the NTV cluster, west of their viewing area. Anything they do for WLNE wouldn't matter while WJAR & WPRI continues to dominate Southern New England.

But I think it's time for Cole and Lombardo to just hang it up and rest into the sunset.

• 3 weeks later...

More info on some upcoming changes in Fresno for KSEE and KGPE from the Fresno Bee, including glimpses of KGPE's new set. The set reminds me a little of WCCO and WBNS.

http://www.fresnobee.com/2013/10/02/3531871/fresnos-ksee-kgpe-under-one-roof.html

Let me get this straight. So reading this Fresno Bee article, am I'm reading this right? KSEE will become the West Coast hub of Nexstar (hubbing with KGET & KTVX/KUCW)? I thought the Utah facility was already the hub.

Anywho, we'll see how this separate newscast setup goes, which is basically a typical Nexstar setting (especially in the markets where they use the Mission card). How they explain what KGPE's format is going to be, I always thought their news was very fast paced. Hell, their current graphics (which clones WTEV/WJXX) screams that. So basically, they're trying to gear towards the younger crowd with a fast-paced, edgier format on 47, while getting a more wider median/older crowd using more of a traditional, bolder format on 24.

So I'm hoping for the best for 24 & 47. But even if they do well, they still can't trump out the big "three-O". HAHAHA!!!!

Yeah, Nexstar have been a real deal this year, ain't they?! Let's see what Sinclair does with KMPH, which I wouldn't be shocked if they add an 11pm news on 26.

TVNewsCheck is posting that the Citadel leaders Ray Cole & Phil Lombardo stated that although they're selling their Iowa cluster, they pointed out that there's some "unfinished business" with its two remaining stations, KLKN & WLNE.

He stated that he plans to expand the reach of KLKN towards the entire Lincoln market. I don't know how you're going to do that, unless they want to buy the NTV cluster, west of their viewing area. Anything they do for WLNE wouldn't matter while WJAR & WPRI continues to dominate Southern New England.

But I think it's time for Cole and Lombardo to just hang it up and rest into the sunset.

NTV and the rights to program its associated Fox outlet KFXL are probably up for sale and have been for a year plus if KSWT is any indication.

Perhaps some of the money from the sale of the other stations will be used to invest in KLKN or WLNE or to buy NTV.

Relating to the KSEE/KGPE consolidation, which I think 47 will begin their new digs soon. 24 posted this flyer on their Facebook wall of a football game which happened yesterday, but it appears that they posted what could be their new logo.

1374913_10151845823629927_1418143249_n.jpg

I think they try their damndest not to alter the focus from the older logo, but I still like the old logo because of the originality. I'm shocked Nexstar is keeping 47's old logo. Anywho, 24's new set debuts three weeks from tomorrow, right before the start of the November Books.

This might be a work in progress, but feast your eyes on this. YourCentralValley.com.

That will replace both "ksee24.com" & "cbs47.tv" fairly soon.

EDIT 12:48pm/PDT: the old cbs47 site is redirected to the new site. KSEE's site is still operating for now....

......and sister-station KGET got a new site too. Get ready for this. KernGoldenEmpire.com.

This might be a work in progress, but feast your eyes on this. YourCentralValley.com.

That will replace both "ksee24.com" & "cbs47.tv" fairly soon.

EDIT 12:48pm/PDT: the old cbs47 site is redirected to the new site. KSEE's site is still operating for now....

......and sister-station KGET got a new site too. Get ready for this. KernGoldenEmpire.com.

Here is a story that talks about the KSEE/KGPE integration. You can also catch a peek at the new graphics (which seem to be the one Nexstar uses at its other CBS stations)

http://www.yourcentralvalley.com/story/cbs47-will-be-eyewitness-news/d/story/wU6omdBuMU2xZXYwayZENw

Yeah I'm not too sure when the new set for KGPE will debut. The Bee stated Sunday, but they were still at the old studios. So it'll probably still safe to say they'll get theirs in operation, before KSEE set gets done, by the time the November books happens. Here's a promo vid of the new "CBS 47 Eyewitness News" which you hear a little more of a 'new theme'.

Also want to point out, that the KSEE/KGPE & KGET site had to been debuted yesterday, because most of the former Newport station's sites also have the new design (sans WSYR, KLRT & KASN).

Yeah I'm not too sure when the new set for KGPE will debut. The Bee stated Sunday, but they were still at the old studios. So it'll probably still safe to say they'll get theirs in operation, before KSEE set gets done, by the time the November books happens. Here's a promo vid of the new "CBS 47 Eyewitness News" which you hear a little more of a 'new theme'.

Also want to point out, that the KSEE/KGPE & KGET site had to been debuted yesterday, because most of the former Newport station's sites also have the new design (sans WSYR, KLRT & KASN).

I was wondering why they aren't using the new graphics/on their new set. Maybe by this weekend? KGPE isn't very good with uploading video on their site, but the stuff I have seen, still with their old set/graphics/SD equipment.

Yes the KGPE-KSEE site debuted early yesterday.

I was wondering why they aren't using the new graphics/on their new set. Maybe by this weekend? KGPE isn't very good with uploading video on their site, but the stuff I have seen, still with their old set/graphics/SD equipment.

Yes the KGPE-KSEE site debuted early yesterday.

From this news report of last night's 11pm which was their top story BTW, it doesn't look like KGPE debuted the new digs as of yet.

It might be the new cut of the CBS news enforcer collection that kgpe Is using.

It might be the new cut of the CBS news enforcer collection that kgpe Is using.

I can with 99.9% certainty claim that KGPE will be using a totally new music package. I cannot share sources because they are anonymous, but the new theme is slated to be created by Stephen Arnold with the Enforcer signature. I don't know anything more than that at this point. I have sent a message to KGPE's facebook to try and acquire a few more details, but I have gotten nothing back as of yet.

I'm not too sure if they're going to implement the changes today, but just over a half hour ago, KGPE's FB wall changed the Banner Pic to this.

1376624_10151448829382168_1732962555_n.jpg

But then I saw their TitanTV guide, the change of their newscast brand on the listings from "CBS 47 On Your Side" to "Eyewitness News at..." within the last couple of hours.

Could this be the day Eyewitness News returns to KGPE 47?

• 24994J locked this topic
  • Weeters unlocked this topic