Nexstar...again

I'm watching the stream now. Aerial doesn't sound right with WSYR. This just blows. I didn't feel this way since KTVU dropped the Randall theme three years ago. History and longevity went down the drain yesterday in Central New York.

If that's your reaction to WSYR dropping News Station, I shudder to think what you would say if WLS dropped NS2K+...:)

Nexstar and Stephen Arnold have some kind of agreement. All of the Newport stations will be getting a SAM theme soon.

For WKBW's sake, if they wind up in Nexstar hands, they at least should retain MCTYW for the open. Bumpers and promos can use any Arnold theme (provided it is compatible with MCTYW) or they could get Arnold to compose a similar-sounding theme.

Doesn't WPVI use some cuts of Gari's EWN for breaking news stingers?

For WKBW's sake, if they wind up in Nexstar hands, they at least should retain MCTYW for the open. Bumpers and promos can use any Arnold theme (provided it is compatible with MCTYW) or they could get Arnold to compose a similar-sounding theme.

Doesn't WPVI use some cuts of Gari's EWN for breaking news stingers?

The last time I've seen the streams, they'd used those customized 615-composed "Action News Arrangements" cues. I don't think they'd ever used any Gari theme.

If Nexstar had the guts to get rid of Gari's News Station in Central New York after two decades of usage, despite using every update Gari has thrown to them, I don't think WKBW is safe, should Nexstar acquires it. I wished they would use the right MCTYW cues, instead of just using the main theme w/vocal from the opening/bumper/close. There are several cues of MCTYW they could use that would fit nearly all of its newscast, instead of just using that one cue for all the shows.

If that's your reaction to WSYR dropping News Station, I shudder to think what you would say if WLS dropped NS2K+... :)

It's more of a sentiment, as I explained back in 2008, and I re-elaborate it just a few months ago. The longevity of a news theme means more than anything else. A local station today don't even have any sort input into the music, and have that same music last longer than five years, longer than ten years and so on. Any new theme these composers make these days, the stations would immediately grab them, "oh it sounds okay, I'll use it". They'll just "change just for the sake of change". And when they feel the theme no longer has a purpose anymore, and they want something new, after using the theme for a short period of time, stations throw the older themes away. Absolutely no sentiment. Since my 2008 posting, WCSH 6, KTVU & KARE 11 sadly got rid of their longtime themes. Luckily WPVI, WJZ, WTOC, WAFB, plus KFSN, WPLG, WBNS, WABC, KABC, and probably a couple of others are still holding on to their longtime themes.

The station groups companies however are getting involved, only because they want to unify the group with the same music, so they can cut cost and such, and with no local station input. 615 could face a double whammy should that Gannett/Belo deal closes. They lost when Gannett implemented the 2008 Pyburn/Rampage look. And I would just feel bad if the Spirit stations let go of Propulsion, after getting their best version of Propulsion.

Only I can wish that Nexstar would show some sort of "heart" to keep MCTYW on WKBW. But as I stated earlier, what happened to WSYR, it's hard to say if Nexstar wouldn't do the same thing for WKBW. Shocking that Nexstar hasn't went to Arnold and have them composed a standardized theme, and if that's the case, they would probably have to composed two themes for the virtual duopoly partner, similar to what Gari did with the "A & B" themes for Hearst. Nexstar probably don't have all that capital to have them composed a commissioned theme.

WLS, WPVI, WJZ and the others are the prime examples of having music that has sentimental value, not only towards the heritage, traditions and the hallmarks of the stations, but to the viewer that know exactly how that music resonates with that brand. You can't see that with other stations, even if they'd tried because many of the themes they use, they'll just throw it in the can after a short time. When a longtime theme gets dropped, it'll probably take eons for folks to get use to a new theme. Chroma Cues is staying strong for 25 years at the same station, WKBW had MCTYW for 31 years before letting it go for five years using that IMO not so good theme from 615, and bringing it back after their 50th anniversary celebration. And WLS is about to hit that 21 year mark in the Fall. Should Idler & Miles follow through and end up doing the inevitable, I don't even know what I would say. But I will say it will not be good. I feel that if its been here this long, why not let the theme keep on going. These newer themes today don't have that same style the older themes have.

Longevity is key, and that's how many of. It may not work for many of the stations now, because they'll probably do their own tradition, to change their themes every so frequently (I cannot believe I'm calling that a tradition) it's like you hear one theme today, and the next theme tomorrow. Use your theme as long as you can, and that theme would have sentimental value.

It won't work for the Nexstar stations, with their current portfolio and the ones that are coming forward should the ComCorp stations close and if they do acquire Granite. I already predicting that the Gari themes will go bye-bye anyway in Fresno duo, once KSEE/KGPE goes HD later this year.

EDIT!: I just realized something, With the exception of KOFY since KGO produces news for them, and WTVH using Non-Stop's Momentum, all the rest of the stations are using a 615 theme. Should Nexstar take the entire group, most of their music may be changed to an Arnold theme. That would be another whammy for 615.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of WKBW, they recently hired a new morning traffic reporter (a former intern last year)... and a publicity shot on her Facebook page has her holding a "7 News - Live, Local, Late Breaking" mug.

There are no words.

Hell, that looks better than KABB's mugs. KABB literally printed their logo on cardstock and just taped it on the mug (with ordinary household tape). But hey, it's Sinclair, what can you do?

News Station gone from WSYR.

Next stop...WIVT, the station using 17-year-old TVbD graphics? If there's any real bad sheep in that area of the country, it's WIVT. Seriously, those graphics are old (they blew KOTA out of the water years ago).

• Like 1

News Station gone from WSYR.

Next stop...WIVT, the station using 17-year-old TVbD graphics? If there's any real bad sheep in that area of the country, it's WIVT. Seriously, those graphics are old (they blew KOTA out of the water years ago).

I think WSYR went with Aerial* by Stephen Arnold Music for their newscast and WIVT on another hand needs an serious overhaul on its graphics because they were made in the late 1990's.

*indicated Aerial is being used by Kansas First News in Topeka, Kansas.

I think WSYR went with Aerial* by Stephen Arnold Music for their newscast and WIVT on another hand needs an serious overhaul on its graphics because they were made in the late 1990's.

*indicated Aerial is being used by Kansas First News in Topeka, Kansas.

They'll probably update the graphics once they reach a deal to acquire the Granite stations and they consolidate WIVT's operations into the WBNG facility.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/mobile/index/article/id/70502

Citadel is selling most of their stations...sans WLNE, KLKN and a low-powered station in Sarasota to Nexstar...and Stainless is selling their Binghamton stations to Mission...

This will make it even more interesting if Nexstar buys Granite, because all five major network affiliations in Binghamton would be controlled by one company, similar to what would happen in Peoria.

Citadel is selling most of their stations...sans WLNE, KLKN and a low-powered station in Sarasota to Nexstar...and Stainless is selling their Binghamton stations to Mission...

I'm happy Citadel is wanting out. I'm still puzzled about a possible sell of Granite, could Nexstar still possibly go for a media monopoly in Binghamton with WBMG. Or Brady probably want to trade the WICZ chips for WBMG. There the only one smoking with a decent news ops. in the market.

I know Citadel is not going to keep KLKN & WLNE for long. This could be yet another opportune time for those lameos in Maryland to acquire KLKN & maybe the Pappas NTV cluster in Nebraska. WLWN-LP is nothing short of speculation bate.

This will make it even more interesting if Nexstar buys Granite, because all five major network affiliations in Binghamton would be controlled by one company, similar to what would happen in Peoria.

Looks like Brian Brady sold out in Binghamton to focus on his new station properties.

The Binghamton situation should be a major concern. Nexstar may not be able to buy Granite now as it develops a chokehold on Binghamton television around WBNG (which is a towering market leader).

Also, KLKN will now probably be up for sale, and the NTV cluster has probably been as well for some time if the KSWT situation is any indication. I wonder if a bidder would be able to combine the two outlets which would probably help the very disjointed market that now has major spillover into North Platte. (The markets need to be combined and redrawn, but the presence of a distinct Fox affiliate in North Platte probably prevents that.)

KLKN and WLNE are not going anywhere? or a potential side deal there?

Looks like Brian Brady sold out in Binghamton to focus on his new station properties.

The Binghamton situation should be a major concern. Nexstar may not be able to buy Granite now as it develops a chokehold on Binghamton television around WBNG (which is a towering market leader).

Also, KLKN will now probably be up for sale, and the NTV cluster has probably been as well for some time if the KSWT situation is any indication. I wonder if a bidder would be able to combine the two outlets which would probably help the very disjointed market that now has major spillover into North Platte. (The markets need to be combined and redrawn, but the presence of a distinct Fox affiliate in North Platte probably prevents that.)

Who would buy WBNG to block the monopoly then? Other than Sinclair, I don't see anyone potentially interested unless a local company buys it all.

WBNG has had a chokehold on Binghamton television since the beginning of television. Having one company own all three full power sticks in town wouldn't make one bit of difference.

Wow! Every owner WLNE has ever had in the past 30 years has been plagued with bad luck! No wonder Nexstar decided to pass on it. That station is CURSED!

Nobody wants WLNE because it is a poor-performing station in that market. WJAR is the ten-ton gorilla in that market because they signed on first. Therefore most have never switched away. WPRI signed on second so they're second place. WLNE signed on last so they've always been last place.

WLNE will probably go to Sinclair. They would be the best thing to happen to that market.

I still think Nexstar will go after WBNG. Who cares if they have a monopoly on Binghamton? It's a very small market and I'm sure most of y'all haven't been there. I'm shocked they were able to sustain three news operations for so long (until Newport finally pulled the plug on WIVT's local news and now they have a half-assed attempt at local news that still uses graphics from 1995). They'll be fine with just one news station.

Nobody wants WLNE because it is a poor-performing station in that market. WJAR is the ten-ton gorilla in that market because they signed on first. Therefore most have never switched away. WPRI signed on second so they're second place. WLNE signed on last so they've always been last place.

WLNE will probably go to Sinclair. They would be the best thing to happen to that market.

I still think Nexstar will go after WBNG. Who cares if they have a monopoly on Binghamton? It's a very small market and I'm sure most of y'all haven't been there. I'm shocked they were able to sustain three news operations for so long (until Newport finally pulled the plug on WIVT's local news and now they have a half-assed attempt at local news that still uses graphics from 1995). They'll be fine with just one news station.

I wonder if Citadel could make a swap with Michael Dell's "spectrum speculator" for the license of WLWC-28, move ABC there, then sell it. The "bad karma" of WLNE and that license will go away when the spectrum auctions begin, and ABC can make a somewhat fresh start in Providence.

Providence is too small for a legal duopoly? Otherwise perhaps WLNE ranks so low it could be purchased by Media General or LIN as a duopoly sidecar?

If that is not the case, I agree Sinclair would be about the only one interested in a distant third-place station in a medium market. Citadel seemed to have nothing but distant third-place stations anyway; KTIV in Siouxland, KCCI in Des Moines and KWQC in the Quad Cities are the dominant stations. Interesting in the Quad Cities is that ALL the major stations are (or likely are) getting new owners soon - KWQC to Media General from Young; WQAD to Tribune from Local TV; WHBF to Nexstar from Citadel and KLJB is likely for sale right now from Grant (I think Sinclair wanted it but their failure to grab WQAD probably has them thinking twice).

With no conflicts in Iowa, the Citadel to Nexstar deals should be a formality and probably don't even need docketing.

Good points about Binghamton and market size. It is DMA #159, so a monopoly might be OK there. Anything over 150 is definitely not acceptable IMO, below 175 is fine if they all fall within FCC guidelines (since they likely cannot sustain competition very easily) - it is 151-175 that is debatable.

If only WLNE had never been sold by Freedom...then they would be a Sinclair station by now.....

Interesting possibility that exists there! But who knows, maybe a local company might want WLNE instead - and it might be within their price range? Most likely the bigger names, other than Sinclair, would pass given the fact it is a low-rated station. Only three possibilities I see: duopoly bait (but WPRI and WNAC are already sister stations with a shell operation so Media General would be frontrunner there), Sinclair or local company.

If it hadn't been swapped by Pulitzer in the 1980s, Hearst would own it now - although I don't know how much they would want it being a distant third place station (and Sinclair would have had WYFF and WXII as well, in both cases would be triopolies, which would make WSPA and WFMY really excited since they would probably be dominant stations instead of in close competition).

it also didn't help WLNE that it operated from New Beford, MA. Even though it was a VHF station, people in Providence had trouble picking up WLNE because it had to operate at reduced power to protect WCSH in Portland and WRGB in Albany.

Oh boy.

Here comes WeAreDesMoines.com and QuadCitiesProud.com.

Seriously though, having Nexstar as an owner would be an improvement for these stations.

• 24994J locked this topic
  • Weeters unlocked this topic