Nexstar...again

• 2 weeks later...

There’s an internal row at Nexstar’s WOOD-TV over an edict from the station’s local management over coverage of pride events.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2023/06/15/wood-tv-lgbtq-reports-memo/70326709007/

Chief Meteorologist Ellen Bacca posted this on Twitter in response to the memo from the station’s assistant news director:

Furthermore, Nexstar has issued a response to the edict from WOOD-TV management. Notably, WOOD’s ND and AND will “no longer be involved in news coverage decisions regarding Pride month.”

Edited by nycnewsjunkie

• 24994J locked this topic
  • Weeters unlocked this topic

An update from WOOD-TV: Employees of the station have been complaining to Nexstar higher ups about bullying, harassment, and racism from the station’s news director, Stanton Tang, for months. The anonymous employees also state that many have been overworked, and the constant burnout has led to people taking multiple personal days or leaving the station entirely. WOOD-TV staff informed Nexstar corporate about Tang’s behavior, but their complaints were ignored.

https://thedesk.net/2023/06/wood-tv-stanton-tang-harassment-allegations-nexstar/

Furthermore, regarding the pride memo, Tang apparently instructed assistant ND Amy Fox to write the memo on his behalf. It is also allegedly not the first time Tang has used his personal politics to sway WOOD-TV’s news coverage.

https://thedesk.net/2023/06/stanton-tang-anti-gay-pride-memo-wood-tv/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 2

5 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

An update from WOOD-TV: Employees of the station have been complaining to Nexstar higher ups about bullying, harassment, and racism from the station’s news director, Stanton Tang, for months. The anonymous employees also state that many have been overworked, and the constant burnout has led to people taking multiple personal days or leaving the station entirely. WOOD-TV staff informed Nexstar corporate about Tang’s behavior, but their complaints were ignored.

https://thedesk.net/2023/06/wood-tv-stanton-tang-harassment-allegations-nexstar/

Furthermore, regarding the pride memo, Tang apparently instructed assistant ND Amy Fox to write the memo on his behalf. It is also allegedly not the first time Tang has used his personal politics to sway WOOD-TV’s news coverage.

https://thedesk.net/2023/06/stanton-tang-anti-gay-pride-memo-wood-tv/

This is so frustrating... WOOD-TV has had such a legacy in this market... Makes me wonder if he wanted to screw them over... I am a personal friend of 2 of the meteorologists there and they've been so frustrated by him since day 1...

Edited by MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie
  • Angry 2

44 minutes ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

I am a personal friend of 2 of the meteorologists there and they've been so frustrated by him since day 1...

Bill Steffen winding down his schedule to emeritus status times out to when they came there and I'm beginning to wonder if there might also a component to that, along with the change to a more generic image/theming away from its longtime 'good friend to the community' framing.

Edited by mrschimpf
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, TheRob said:

I suppose this confirms what a lot of people suspect; Nexstar’s management team is filled to the brim with f***ing idiots.

Hey Susan, maybe if you and your company had nipped this problem in the bud months ago and listened to your employees, maybe you wouldn’t have dealt with a leak and a PR nightmare. Susan Tulley needs to go touch grass.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/21/2023 at 4:04 PM, mrschimpf said:

Bill Steffen winding down his schedule to emeritus status times out to when they came there and I'm beginning to wonder if there might also a component to that, along with the change to a more generic image/theming away from its longtime 'good friend to the community' framing.

Bill Steffen only has one segment from his Man Cave every Mon on the 4PM newscast I know he post that to his blog on Wood TV's website Bill also did the national forecast for NewsNation before he was out the door. Bill has had a great run in West Michigan working at WZZM & then moving to the rival Wood TV surprised that WZZM didn't have a non-compete in Bill's contract when it was up in 2001 and that he was on Wood TV ASAP.

On 6/26/2023 at 10:04 AM, NBC 5 Chicago said:

After 3 months since it was announced,  it looks like Nexstar independents and the rest of the CW's and MyNetworkTV that have not been added yet will finally be added to YouTubTV this week. 

It begins.  Tomorrow is the official date but several stations including WGN, KRON and WMYT are live as of now.

Waiting on the subchannel CWs (WJTV/WHLT, WNCT) as well as the official return of WJMN since CBS stripped them of their affiliation last year.

Question about YouTube TV and Nexstar CW stations.

I’m visiting Huntsville, AL, and when I go to CW, I get “Unavailable in the location” - but the station is an OTA station here (WHDF/15), as well as on 19.2.  Any thoughts on this?

I get WDCW/50 back home in DC…

Jim

16 hours ago, compubit said:

Question about YouTube TV and Nexstar CW stations.

I’m visiting Huntsville, AL, and when I go to CW, I get “Unavailable in the location” - but the station is an OTA station here (WHDF/15), as well as on 19.2.  Any thoughts on this?

I get WDCW/50 back home in DC…

Jim

Despite the news I've seen about Nexstar adding their "other" stations, it's not as universal as it claims to be.

Hopefully they're working some of the bugs out with some stations,  but since this is a station that should have been added the last go-around, makes it all the more confusing.

Edit: as of this addition, there's still no WJMN, WDVM, and KOZL, and probably others not up "yet".

Edited by tyrannical bastard

4 hours ago, edutv9 said:

WTVW/Evansville is owned by Mission and operated by Nexstar, so I've got like zero hopes of it showing up on YTTV.

Their rollout of CW & MyNetworkTV stations makes no sense. 

WPIX's carriage was grandfathered under Scripps, and exists to this day under Mission...well before they started putting "most" of their CW stations.

Why pass on a network they own on a station they operate?

And there are STILL CW stations they own that are not carried....unless their rollout has been slow and plagued with technical delays...

Aside from the ones slated to pick up the CW, the only MyNetwork station I've seen picked up (again) is WMYT.  This was a station they dumped when they picked up WJZY & WMYT from Fox.

5 hours ago, TheRob said:

Unfortunately for the producers, it is a fireable offense to send an internal information (i.e., a newsroom memo) out for publication.

While that’s true, I don’t see any other way that they could’ve addressed the problems in that newsroom, given that some at the station already tried addressing their concerns to corporate (at least, according to Matthew Keys).

I understand that Nexstar has the legal right to fire them for publicizing that memo, and I suppose it’s not in the company’s interest to employ people who can’t be trusted with internal info. However, I think Nexstar also has a practical obligation to address the concerns that led to such a leak happening in the first place.

• Like 7

15 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

While that’s true, I don’t see any other way that they could’ve addressed the problems in that newsroom, given that some at the station already tried addressing their concerns to corporate (at least, according to Matthew Keys).

I understand that Nexstar has the legal right to fire them for publicizing that memo, and I suppose it’s not in the company’s interest to employ people who can’t be trusted with internal info. However, I think Nexstar also has a practical obligation to address the concerns that led to such a leak happening in the first place.

I'm trying to remember from which source(s) I'm referring to, but this started with Tang, then to GM Julie Brinks, then to 2 different levels of HR at Nexstar... So as far as I'm concenred, they had every right to publicize this... Granted, I'm sure they had clauses in their contracts or company policies barring them from doing this.. but man oh man did this hurt WOOD-TV bad...

• Like 1