Nexstar...again

Couple of comments:

- IIRC, the purpose of New Neutrality is to prevent operators from “charging extra” for certain services (e.g., competitor’s IPTV offerings). It didn’t prevent discounts to vendors. I know there have been some legal challenges - not sure where they stand…

- Most cable is digitally provided, and most likely IP-based ( but is most likely a proprietary format - I don’t know all of the specifics now, but set top boxes are basically dedicated computers programmed to display video programming to TVs…). Except for a few rare cases left, there are very few analog systems remaining.

- The area in which I live is split between jurisdictions. One (the county), has the franchises for TV and voice with Comcast and Verizon Fios. Both offer voice, data, and video services.  The other part is in the city, which has Cox as the TV provider and Verizon as the voice provider. Verizon hasn’t implements Fios in most of the city, but they did in our area. Folks living in the city (where it’s available) can subscribe to Fios, but cannot get Fios TV, because Cox has the exclusive TV-provider rights in the city. In this are Verizon offer Fiber voice and data, and “for your convenience” YouTube TV as an option (from Google, conveniently rolled into your bill (same price as direct from YouTube…)

- Access from multiple vendors comes down to access of the “right of way” - who can basically run the signal from their plant to the end users - which isn’t he US is pretty much going to be the cable TV franchisee, the phone franchisee, the power company and/or the water utility, unless the area has a government who will grant right of way status to other providers…

J

• 3 weeks later...

A little break from the 'God Nexstar is awful' talk for a bit; WFRV is now broadcasting its 4 p.m. newshour from the Appleton bureau rather than Green Bay; it's the first time since WGBA closed its Appleton newsroom during Journal's infamous Great Recession cutbacks there that newscasts originate from the Fox Cities.

Edited by mrschimpf

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, MD TV said:

Nexstar has an agreement with Hulu to continue carrying all of their big 4 stations and NewsNation, plus the addition of their MyNetwork TV and independent stations:

https://www.nexstar.tv/nexstar-reaches-multi-year-agreement-with-hulu/

It doesn't say anything about their CW stations, though.

I don't know about anyone else's CW stations, but I do know that WWLP's CW subchannel is carried on Hulu.

1 hour ago, Adam MadMan said:

I don't know about anyone else's CW stations, but I do know that WWLP's CW subchannel is carried on Hulu.

I believe they have a previous arrangement to carry all of Nexstar's CW stations.

Now when is YouTube TV going to carry the rest of Nexstar's stations? (Independents and MyNets)

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MD TV said:

Well LIV was cut off in progress across seemingly every CW affiliate:

The announcers said CW stations were ending coverage but it would continue on the CW app, so it wasn’t like it was cut off without warning. They went 30 mins over their allotted broadcast time due to a rain delay. 

Those watching the live simulcast on the app had uninterrupted coverage. (DJ took it in a three-man playoff. Great round of golf.)

Since I can't post about this in the thread for the WBRE/WYOU package (as its now archived), I'll note here that both stations adopted new standardized logos on Monday (May 16). Both designs are based on their Eyewitness News logo, which has been modified to incorporate the logos for both stations in newscast opens (both logos being displayed during simulcasts, and either the WBRE or the WYOU logo being displayed during newscasts exclusive to either station). 

1012395237_ezgif.com-gif-maker2.png.7c22722e54a3f7abc1f72e3ef7ebec20.png

ezgif.com-gif-maker.png.2c8bd096e4e2817c9ace139578da10e4.png

296108234_ezgif.com-gif-maker3.thumb.png.b821f7fbd2d6cccdb7a7ed631a3fdf80.png

The layout of the call letters and NBC Peacock in the WBRE logo makes it strongly resemble the station's 2004–08 logo (since both designs, as well as the new WYOU design, use Arial Black for the callsign). For comparison's sake, here's the 2004 logo:

1831200393_ezgif.com-gif-maker4.thumb.png.c45061eed1c90891209d8ce533e0867b.png

...and here's the new wordmark version (although the resemblance to the older design is more apparent in the EWN-style logo):

ezgif.com-gif-maker.png.41779ce515584c150539385986fa8f7f.png

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

According to the FCC signal contour maps, WSNN’s signal significantly overlaps with WFLA/WTTA in Sarasota, Manatee, and Charlotte counties, so turning WSNN into a repeater of either station seems to be out of the question.

There’s also significant overlap with WFLA/WTTA in terms of news programming, as WSNN competes with both stations in the same timeslots on weekdays and weekends (including the 7:00-9:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. slots, where WTTA carries newscasts); the only timeslots that either has to themselves are 4:00 p.m. (WFLA) and 10:00 p.m. (WSNN) as well as certain mid-afternoon and weekend slots that WSNN exclusively programs (1:00-3:00 and 3:30-4:00 p.m. weekdays, and a few morning, midday and prime time slots on weekends).

Another open question is what happens to WSNN’s existing studios, and if Nexstar will turn them into a Sarasota bureau for WFLA, regardless of whether their news departments merge.

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, T.L. Hughes said:

According to the FCC signal contour maps, WSNN’s signal significantly overlaps with WFLA/WTTA in Sarasota, Manatee, and Charlotte counties, so turning WSNN into a repeater of either station seems to be out of the question.

There’s also significant overlap with WFLA/WTTA in terms of news programming, as WSNN competes with both stations in the same timeslots on weekdays and weekends (including the 7:00-9:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. slots, where WTTA carries newscasts); the only timeslots that either has to themselves are 4:00 p.m. (WFLA) and 10:00 p.m. (WSNN) as well as certain mid-afternoon and weekend slots that WSNN exclusively programs (1:00-3:00 and 3:30-4:00 p.m. weekdays, and a few morning, midday and prime time slots on weekends).

Another open question is what happens to WSNN’s existing studios, and if Nexstar will turn them into a Sarasota bureau for WFLA, regardless of whether their news departments merge.

Nexstar will likely use it as the new home of WTTA's 8pm news, as its very likely they will join CW come this fall.

34 minutes ago, hmaxhanson said:

Nexstar will likely use it as the new home of WTTA's 8pm news, as its very likely they will join CW come this fall.

Conceivably then, WTTA’s existing 8:00 p.m. news would be moved to 10:00 p.m. upon joining The CW, putting it in direct competition with WTVT for the second time (after the in-house/NewsCentral hybrid effort under Sinclair ownership). It would just mean WSNN would have exclusivity in the slot, since it already has a newscast that technically competes with the WFLA-produced 8:00 news on WTTA.

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Confused 1

So, for those wondering, at last check, here are the times WSNN's newscasts are on (sorry for creating a list but excuse me on this one to make a point), at least on weekdays...

• 06:00-09:00AM
  • 10:00-11:00AM
  • 11:30AM-12:00PM
  • 01:00-03:00PM
  • 03:30-04:00PM
  • 05:00-07:00PM
  • 08:00-09:00PM (08:30-09:00PM on Fridays because of Music and The Spoken Word at 08:00PM)
  • 10:00-11:30PM
  • 03:00-05:30AM (The overnight repeat block I believe)

So you got the first block competing entirely against WTTA/WFLA (plus the 6:00AM hour against WWSB), then the next hour at 10:00AM is all alone, 11:30AM is up against WFLA's hour-long midday news at 11:00AM, the afternoon block from 1:00-4:00PM (sans 3:00PM) is all to themselves, 5:00-6:30PM against WFLA (and WWSB), 6:30PM is alone to themselves, 8:00PM is against WTTA, 10:00PM is alone to themselves, and 11:00PM against WFLA (and WWSB). The overnight block doesn't matter because its repeats but still...

So there's a lot of consolidation and possible cutting that WFLA may have to think about once this channel is entirely under their/Nexstar's control.

Edited by TheRolyPoly
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

So, for those wondering, at last check, here are the times WSNN's newscasts are on (sorry for creating a list but excuse me on this one to make a point), at least on weekdays...

• 06:00-09:00AM
  • 10:00-11:00AM
  • 11:30AM-12:00PM
  • 01:00-03:00PM
  • 03:30-04:00PM
  • 05:00-07:00PM
  • 08:00-09:00PM (08:30-09:00PM on Fridays because of Music and The Spoken Word at 08:00PM)
  • 10:00-11:30PM
  • 03:00-05:30AM (The overnight repeat block I believe)

So you got the first block competing entirely against WTTA/WFLA (plus the 6:00AM hour against WWSB), then the next hour at 10:00AM is all alone, 11:30AM is up against WFLA's hour-long midday news at 11:00AM, the afternoon block from 1:00-4:00PM (sans 3:00PM) is all to themselves, 5:00-6:30PM against WFLA (and WWSB), 6:30PM is alone to themselves, 8:00PM is against WTTA, 10:00PM is alone to themselves, and 11:00PM against WFLA (and WWSB). The overnight block doesn't matter because its repeats but still...

So there's a lot of consolidation and possible cutting that WFLA may have to think about once this channel is entirely under their/Nexstar's control.

Considering the sorry state of the Bally Sports networks, which air the Tampa Bay Rays and Lightning, I can imagine Nexstar hovering around like vultures hoping to get those rights if/when Diamond is forced to drop those, assuming CBS and WTOG don't beat them to it.

On 5/22/2023 at 3:21 PM, Georgie56 said:

I don't really get the rationale to get this. It's a low powered news station. I guess if they gather enough repeaters, they could mould it into a sports channel when the Rays, Lightning and Magic rights are available...

Another factor for the sale; WFLA and WTTA share UHF High 9. WSNN is on UHF 26. You move that transmitter to Riverview at the same height as the full-powers, and you've got a solid UHF signal serving the most important parts of the market to simulcast WFLA and WTTA and can keep WSNN's main signal in 720p (safe bet they dump all the Scripps subchannels which already air on WXPX).

WSNN already news-shares with WFLA, so there may be no on-air changes outside a transmitter move and having WSNN cover the non-prime slots (including the presumptive 10pm WTTA show) in lieu of WFLA.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 24994J locked this topic
  • Weeters unlocked this topic