Nexstar...again

1 hour ago, NewEgg00 said:

I was channel surfing on Pluto TV and stumbled upon CBS NEWS DFW when they were talking about Texas Governor Greg Abbott's State of the State address. 

And I literally had to search YouTube, because I thought maybe they were taking clips from a Nexstar station covering it, which was weird, but alright. But no. The Governor's SOTS was produced in partnership with Nexstar (KXAN).

I have alot of mixed feelings. On one hand, I feel like it's good because of high production quality for the address, and a smooth transition to the Democratic response, etc. On another hand, I feel like it is weird to have a local media outlet produce a Government address, or anything like that matter. Yes, they allowed both sides of the aisle to address Texas, but at the same time I feel like there's a bit of a violation of journalistic ethics. But what I'm also wondering, has a State Government partnered with a local media outlet to do something like this?

They’ve been doing this for several years now. It is produced by KXAN and airs live on Nexstar stations statewide. In San Antonio, the address typically airs on Graham’s KSAT since that city doesn’t have a Nexstar station. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NewEgg00 said:

I have alot of mixed feelings. On one hand, I feel like it's good because of high production quality for the address, and a smooth transition to the Democratic response, etc. On another hand, I feel like it is weird to have a local media outlet produce a Government address, or anything like that matter. Yes, they allowed both sides of the aisle to address Texas, but at the same time I feel like there's a bit of a violation of journalistic ethics. But what I'm also wondering, has a State Government partnered with a local media outlet to do something like this?

This is what they had to do before the C-SPAN model spread to state government coverage where stations not owned by one company had to pool as affiliate stations into mini-networks, so it's not so unusual in the least. The debates being limited to NN, that's one thing, as it's ultimately the state party that controls where they put their content, but it's public domain for government events, so NX did the proper thing in allowing other stations to carry it through the state. It would certainly be an ethics violation if it was exclusive to Real America's Voice or another one of those one-sided news sites and the Democratic response had to be done with Steve Bannon yelling at their every point.

Let's not forget that State of the States and the State of the Unions started as perfunctory text reports, so none of the requirements of video (or even an opposition response) are required by any law.

Edited by mrschimpf
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

This is what they had to do before the C-SPAN model spread to state government coverage where stations not owned by one company had to pool as affiliate stations into mini-networks, so it's not so unusual in the least. The debates being limited to NN, that's one thing, as it's ultimately the state party that controls where they put their content, but it's public domain for government events, so NX did the proper thing in allowing other stations to carry it through the state. It would certainly be an ethics violation if it was exclusive to Real America's Voice or another one of those one-sided news sites and the Democratic response had to be done with Steve Bannon yelling at their every point.

Let's not forget that State of the States and the State of the Unions started as perfunctory text reports, so none of the requirements of video (or even an opposition response) are required by any law.

Also in Texas, only Nexstar and Tegna have reach that comes anywhere near statewide. I agree, if it was the Bannon podcast, that would turn into Comedy Central once the Democrats respond.

The other markets that are missing for Nexstar in the state are Beaumont-Port Arthur, Corpus Christi, Victoria and Laredo.

Edited by GoldenShine9
  • Like 2

With Nexstar cutting to end of Accused it happened in the fall of 2017 Lions VS Steelers on SNF a close game the Lions needed a stop to get the ball back. And Wood TV puts in an ad once it returned the Steelers got the 1ST Down to end the game Wood TV apologized for the error which came from WXIN in INDY where it is hubbed at, I saw it on Twitter about there apology. 

• Concerned 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nexstar has an agreement with YouTube TV to carry their non-big 4 stations:

https://www.nexstar.tv/nexstar-reaches-multi-year-agreement-with-youtube-tv-for-launch-of-59-nexstar-stations-including-its-cw-mynet-and-independent-television-stations/

In addition, it includes contract extensions with NewsNation and their CBS stations.

If the carriage of KAUT (with its dead "Freedom 43" military gimmick that somehow continues from the Zell era unscathed) and KZUP-CD (a dog of an LP station that has no reason to exist) increases YTTV prices nationwide, there aren't going to be a lot of happy viewers out there. Good that they got their CW and MNTV affiliates lit up (which should have been there at launch) along with their Big Six market stations, but I fear the RTC costs will make this a poor value for the service going forward outside Nexstar.

Edited by mrschimpf

On 3/13/2023 at 9:50 AM, MD TV said:

https://www.nexstar.tv/nexstar-reaches-multi-year-agreement-with-youtube-tv-for-launch-of-59-nexstar-stations-including-its-cw-mynet-and-independent-television-stations/

In addition, it includes contract extensions with NewsNation and their CBS stations.

I think this would mark the first time that MyNetworkTV stations not owned by Fox would be available on YTTV, and it fills a major gap in CW affiliate carriage on the service (many are already available on YouTube TV, with CBS and Sinclair being the largest affiliate groups prior to this deal that have carriage agreements for their CW affiliates).

In some markets, it means the majority of the major local stations - commercial and public television - will be available on YTTV’s lineup. For example, in Oklahoma City (my home market), it means KAUT will join sister station KFOR (NBC), Hearst’s KOCO (ABC), Griffin’s KWTV (CBS), Sinclair’s KOKH (Fox) and KOCB (CW), Tyler Media’s KTUZ (Telemundo) and KUOK (Univision, which was added this past Fall alongside the existing national Univision feed), and OETA (Oklahoma’s PBS member network). (This leaves KSBI, KWTV’s sister station and the local MyNetworkTV outlet, as the only notable commercial station missing from the lineup.)

And subscribers in New York, L.A. and Chicago will get access to WPIX, KTLA and WGN, respectively.

CORRECTION: Sinclair’s MNTV affiliates and CW affiliates owned by a handful of other groups including Tegna, Scripps, Sunbeam, Griffin, Bahakel and Graham are apparently also carried on YTTV.

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, MD TV said:

WMYT returns after a 3-year hiatus (it left when the Fox sale went through). But viewers haven’t missed much unless you like Byron Allen court shows. Most of the reruns you can also see on streaming, cable/satellite or on WJZY.

Edited by Nelson R.

I'm just glad that OG WGN will be available (in Chicago) when I "visit" !

This move may be a prelude to some of their non-CW stations switching to the CW.  Many of their affiliate contracts are up this year, and there could be many opportunities for Nexstar to bring CW to one of their stations where it may not be already....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I'm just glad that OG WGN will be available (in Chicago) when I "visit" !

This move may be a prelude to some of their non-CW stations switching to the CW.  Many of their affiliate contracts are up this year, and there could be many opportunities for Nexstar to bring CW to one of their stations where it may not be already....

I think I might make a few “visits” to Chicago and LA as well, just to check it out, you know…

• Haha 1

There are 76 CW affiliates in Nexstar markets that the affiliation is currently owned by another company. Of them, 25 are owned by Gray (either on one of their own signals or a subchannel), 20 by Sinclair, while Allen, CBS, Hearst, Scripps and Tegna each have between 3 and 5 with isolated instances elsewhere.

That's a lot that they would have to pick off at once without compensation.

• Like 1

Sinclair's agreements are up either this year or next on beginning on August 31st and going into the same day next year.   This could potentially mean a phased shift depending on when the contracts are up.  Basically, if an affiliate contract is up then they could potentially move the network in house without penalty, correct? 

The trend seems to be even if a contract expires, that things continue status quo until either a new agreement is reached or if somebody else inks an agreement after the original one lapses.

One of the groups has an agreement until 2026.... I think it's Tegna but I'd have to double-check.

I even looked at WUAB's public file... Their current agreement with the CW only goes through August 31st of this year.  This was after they were able to get it from WBNX when they defaulted on their agreement. (most likely linked to the foreclosure proceedings surrounding the Ernest Angley ministry)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Sinclair's agreements are up either this year or next on beginning on August 31st and going into the same day next year.   This could potentially mean a phased shift depending on when the contracts are up.  Basically, if an affiliate contract is up then they could potentially move the network in house without penalty, correct? 

The trend seems to be even if a contract expires, that things continue status quo until either a new agreement is reached or if somebody else inks an agreement after the original one lapses.

Just for an example, and given how that could affect if KAUT takes over the affiliation, at what point during that timeframe does KOCB’s CW contract expire?

Yeah, there's been price hikes recently for the competing services. Plus, the Sunday Ticket deal isn't cheap (even if that's gonna be a separate fee). And god only knows how much ESPN's carriage fee has gone up in the past 3 years.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mrschimpf said:

Just as I feared...YouTube TV is up to $73.

The annoying thing is, it’s still less than cable (at least where I live), and as @MD TValluded to, the prices for similar services (like fubo and Hulu) have gone up by about the same rate. I would happily switch out YTTV for multiple streaming services, but for something like March Madness, it doesn’t really work when the Turner games aren’t on a streaming service.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, JosiahCubed said:

Just sales taxes on top of that if I remember correctly.

Where the cable companies get you here, they'll advertise $79.99 for cable. Then at the end of the bill they check on $22 for OTA TV and another seven bucks for sports. And nothing special when it comes to sports, just regular ESPN, Bally's and Fox channels.

14 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

Where the cable companies get you here, they'll advertise $79.99 for cable. Then at the end of the bill they check on $22 for OTA TV and another seven bucks for sports. And nothing special when it comes to sports, just regular ESPN, Bally's and Fox channels.

Comcast in DC charges $25.40 for broadcast (which I can pick up with a paper clip on my TV…) and $12.40 for sports… Nearly $38 above the quote price + various taxes…

J

• Angry 2

Cable and Satellite TV by design are obsolete unless they've converted to an IP-like delivery rather than the channels occupying spectrum space.  But all of the exclusivity they enjoy (cable) is tied to local franchises and the infrastructure they built to serve their customers.  That alone gives them the power to charge franchise fees to their customers.

And they use their monopoly to charge to Infinity fees related to their service such as installation, equipment, and now retransmission fees on top of what it all costs.

Sooner or later, they're going to have to get out of the "cable" TV business because in essence they're just using their local infrastructure to beam an IP service to their customers (unless they're actually delivering true cable TV which is probably as extinct as landline phones). 

I wonder what's stopping them from expanding behind their physical boundaries to become virtual MPDs within their DMAs. 

If that power was granted to them they could serve a lot more customers, so customers who are stuck with Mediacom as their only option could subscribe to Xfinity and vice versa, or pick one of the existing virtual providers.  Customers with subscribe to their local service just for the bandwidth, and have the option of picking a television provider.  Of course, cable companies with chime in by offering a "discount" to those who choose to subscribe to their own service, and charge a "penalty" or higher rate to a customer who picks the rival service on their home network.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 2

• 24994J locked this topic
  • Weeters unlocked this topic