Nexstar...again

I’m not defending what nextstar is doing but How many viewers do watch live streaming? And how much money do tv stations make off it? It’s very costly to stream, whatever the viewership was when a station was live streaming its going to drop now there’s a delay.

• Like 3

On 1/14/2023 at 9:32 PM, doublejman69 said:

I’m not defending what nextstar is doing but How many viewers do watch live streaming? And how much money do tv stations make off it? It’s very costly to stream, whatever the viewership was when a station was live streaming its going to drop now there’s a delay.

To stream a newscast? Ha! No, it is not that costly at this point, especially considering how much stations are paying for affiliation and syndication fees. If you run it with ads, you can significantly offset the costs. I'd argue that this move by Nexstar is a shortsighted plan because they're effectively laying their own demise. As station groups ask for more money from retransmission fees, the cable subscription costs increase to compensate, decreasing the demand and driving up the retransmission fees, creating a no-win game for groups like this. In the attempt to drive dividends, they are not paying down debt (only the low interests rate) which will come due soon and force Nexstar into administration. Even once the Nexstars of the world are gone, the cable industry won't recover. It's a downward spiral and Nexstar is harming their viewership by not providing up to the minute information, especially as viewers have less access to local news.

Edited by ABC 7 Denver
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

To stream a newscast? Ha! No it is not that costly at this point especially considering how much stations are paying for affiliation and syndication fees. If you run it with ads, you can severely offset the costs. I'd argue that this is a shortsighted plan because you're effectively laying your own demise. As station group asks for more money from retransmission fees, the cable subscription costs increase to compensate, decreasing the demand and driving up the retransmission fees, creating a no-win game for groups like this. In the attempt to drive dividends, they are not paying down debt (only the low interests rate) which will come due soon and force Nexstar into administration. It's a downward spiral and Nexstar is harming their viewership by not providing up to the minute information, especially as viewers have less access to local news.

Ads for digital don’t even come close to regular broadcast, even if you can sell it many stations and groups can’t sell all slots and just put up slide saying that the newscast is in a commercial break. It’s kind of a lost cost at that point if the only way someone can watch you channel is by the website stream, at least with OTA they can watch your full network and  syndicated programming and more importantly ads that you’re getting full price on. 

The reason I asked how many people that are streaming newscast, I know a station about 5 years ago, top-25 market dominant number 1 in all newscast, number 1 website beating the local newspaper and the web stream count was in the hundreds, the only time it would get in the thousands if there was breaking news or severe weather.  Things have change from 5 years ago but I can’t imagine many advertisers rushing to get on a streaming product that can only average a couple hundred people.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, doublejman69 said:

Ads for digital don’t even come close to regular broadcast, even if you can sell it many stations and groups can’t sell all slots and just put up slide saying that the newscast is in a commercial break. It’s kind of a lost cost at that point if the only way someone can watch you channel is by the website stream, at least with OTA they can watch your full network and  syndicated programming and more importantly ads that you’re getting full price on. 

The reason I asked how many people that are streaming newscast, I know a station about 5 years ago, top-25 market dominant number 1 in all newscast, number 1 website beating the local newspaper and the web stream count was in the hundreds, the only time it would get in the thousands if there was breaking news or severe weather.  Things have change from 5 years ago but I can’t imagine many advertisers rushing to get on a streaming product that can only average a couple hundred people.

Stations haven't invested in digital-first infrastructure to take advantage of streaming. And the fact that they only push linear content, not developing a microtargeted news platform is part of the overall trajectory issue of this industry.

Edited by ABC 7 Denver
  • Like 2

"In order to fulfill our obligations to our cable and satellite partners..."

Give me a break.  This is a money grab, pure and simple, to punish anyone who is not paying to watch a Nexstar station.

Not to mention out-of-town viewers who would benefit from being able to stream a live newscast from afar...

...and OTA customers who CAN'T pick up their local Nexstar station...

If this is some kind of actual deal,  Uncle Perry may be right up there with Kevin McCarthy.  If he was the one running Nexstar last year, he would have lost a lot more than WJMN's CBS affiliation.

I've noticed that ABC's deal with Nexstar has passed (it was only supposed to go through 2022).  I wonder how that's going for them?

• Like 2

The hilarious part is that KTLA, WJW and WGN will be totally crippled on a digital angle by more aggressive efforts from KCAL-KCBS, WOIO-WUAB and WBBM. And in this era, it’s terminally stupid to hand your competitors a massive advantage right off the gate. I was always curious when Nexstar would start sabotaging the only good assets in their portfolio they basically lucked into, and now we have our answer.

The irony is that Uncle Perry and ol’ Scotty Jones have something in common… they both openly want to keep the industry forever stuck in 2003 and discourage innovation.

Edited by Myron Falwell
  • Like 6

WGN as well for keeping their app and live streams.   As for WJW, it's another blow.  

IF (and that's a major IF) Nexstar swipes the CW for themselves (for 8.2 or otherwise), that's basically telling WUAB to fill in the holes with newscasts. And with Gray's robust streaming platforms....

Even though I don't have a Nexstar station in my market, I find this a bad and regressive move on their part. Cable and satellite continue to decline each year and the retrans fees are getting crazier as well. They think they're doing viewers a favor when in reality, they're encouraging viewers to go to their stations competitors to stream. In 2023, broadcasters need to evolve or die and start streaming everything, otherwise they'll fail.

Then again, they launched NN as a linear network right in the middle of a cord-cutting boom, so this shouldn't surprise me. Didn't they paywall or "TV Everywhere" some of their newscasts too a while back?

I hope this will come back to bite them eventually. I bet their competitors are going to run ads boasting of their option to stream live.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Myron Falwell said:

The hilarious part is that KTLA, WJW and WGN will be totally crippled on a digital angle by more aggressive efforts from KCAL-KCBS, WOIO-WUAB and WBBM. And in this era, it’s terminally stupid to hand your competitors a massive advantage right off the gate. I was always curious when Nexstar would start sabotaging the only good assets in their portfolio they basically lucked into, and now we have our answer.

The irony is that Uncle Perry and ol’ Scotty Jones have something in common… they both openly want to keep the industry forever stuck in 2003 and discourage innovation.

At least Scott is a fan of streaming newscasts.

2 hours ago, brycats said:

You're right! Sorry about that, guess KTLA is exempt from that delay 

How'd you like to be at WPIX, WJW or WGN and see that KTLA can still stream live? That's really gotta do wonders for morale.

It's obvious why they exempted KTLA. Because the second they order KTLA to delay by two hours, KCBS-KCAL would eat their lunch.

Edited by Myron Falwell

This was something I was curious about when the delay was announced- whether or not it would apply to station TV apps. Are there any other Nexstar TV apps? Didn't KRON roll one out a few years back? The next question would be if the apps use geolocation to restrict streaming to within the market proper. 

1 hour ago, Myron Falwell said:

How'd you like to be at WPIX, WJW or WGN and see that KTLA can still stream live? That's really gotta do wonders for morale.

Your point stands, but WGN is also still available.

• Thought-Provoking 1

19 minutes ago, brycats said:

Speaking of streaming and KTLA:

"5 Live" the digital newscast that streams from 4-5pm is ending. It will be replaced by a 4PM Newscast sometime in the future. 

Source: KTLA+ app and the hosts themselves (bad quality sorry) 

The full goodbye show can be seen Here. The show had a Facebook group following of around 19K.

31 minutes ago, brycats said:

Speaking of streaming and KTLA:

"5 Live" the digital newscast that streams from 4-5pm is ending. It will be replaced by a 4PM Newscast sometime in the future. 

Source: KTLA+ app and the hosts themselves (bad quality sorry) 

IMG_7408.MOV

Worth a mention, but maybe in the KTLA station thread, next time. This isn't really a greater Nexstar issue.

so i was getting ready to watch the 49ers on fox 40 in sacramento. i have youtube tv, and i COULDNT WATCH THEIR PREGAME NEWS so if you have youtube tv heads up, nexstar stations may be blocking news access to you

EDIT :this posted 3 times because my browser lagged i guess. im on opera gx 

Edited by nickInRoseville

As we talk about a station group that hates streaming in 2023, it feels appropriate that their broadcast automation is also overly-aggressive and cut off the last few minutes of Fox's Accused premiere last night on several Nexstar stations, which the network really wanted to get eyeballs on. Just another thing for Rupert to add onto the 'I Do Not Like Dealing With This Company' checklist he's kept since the network pulled their Indiana affiliations from Nexstar.

On 1/22/2023 at 5:08 PM, nickInRoseville said:

so i was getting ready to watch the 49ers on fox 40 in sacramento. i have youtube tv, and i COULDNT WATCH THEIR PREGAME NEWS so if you have youtube tv heads up, nexstar stations may be blocking news access to you

I think this is likely just a technical error (I really hope so).

1 hour ago, mrschimpf said:

As we talk about a station group that hates streaming in 2023, it feels appropriate that their broadcast automation is also overly-aggressive and cut off the last few minutes of Fox's Accused premiere last night on several Nexstar stations, which the network really wanted to get eyeballs on. Just another thing for Rupert to add onto the 'I Do Not Like Dealing With This Company' checklist he's kept since the network pulled their Indiana affiliations from Nexstar.

I think this is likely just a technical error (I really hope so).

Sounds just like Sinclair when they automate. WNWO has had bad automation since they moved their tech ops to South Bend. Shows often come back a few seconds late during local breaks, and even for a couple minutes at least a few years ago.

Edited by Newsjunkie24
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was channel surfing on Pluto TV and stumbled upon CBS NEWS DFW when they were talking about Texas Governor Greg Abbott's State of the State address. 

And I literally had to search YouTube, because I thought maybe they were taking clips from a Nexstar station covering it, which was weird, but alright. But no. The Governor's SOTS was produced in partnership with Nexstar (KXAN).

I have alot of mixed feelings. On one hand, I feel like it's good because of high production quality for the address, and a smooth transition to the Democratic response, etc. On another hand, I feel like it is weird to have a local media outlet produce a Government address, or anything like that matter. Yes, they allowed both sides of the aisle to address Texas, but at the same time I feel like there's a bit of a violation of journalistic ethics. But what I'm also wondering, has a State Government partnered with a local media outlet to do something like this?

• Like 1
  • Thought-Provoking 1

• 24994J locked this topic
  • Weeters unlocked this topic