Nexstar...again

It appears Nexstar is taking two steps backward in their "digital first" mandate.  Live streams of their newscasts are apparently coming to an end next month.  

They will be delayed at least 2 hours.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2022/12/21/nexstar-to-end-live-stream-newscasts

The endless quest for retransmission money appears to be the reason.

If they keep this stuff up, they'll end up like Bally Sports, and price themselves out of existence when the pay TV providers kick them to the curb and the networks begin pulling their affiliations.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

31 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

It appears Nexstar is taking two steps backward in their "digital first" mandate.  Live streams of their newscasts are apparently coming to an end next month.  

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2022/12/21/nexstar-to-end-live-stream-newscasts

If they keep this stuff up, they'll end up like Bally Sports, and price themselves out of existence when the pay TV providers kick them to the curb and the networks begin pulling their affiliations.

Wow. That's pretty damn stupid. But this is good old Uncle Perry we're talking about here lol...

• Like 1

Three things going on here:

1. These retransmission fees are indeed causing people to cut the cord. I was like the proverbial frog in slow boiling water. We went from $80, to $110, to $130 and I kept toying with the idea of cutting the cable with each increase. But when it hit almost $170 with all the other fees at the end of the bill, including retransmission fees, that's when I had enough. I think $30 was added on top of the cable bill for retransmission fees and for sports fees. No thanks. (Medium package only plus 100 gig internet, no phone, no bells and whistles, only one cable box, no DVR. Now I only pay 40 bucks for the internet.)

2. Cable companies should design their tuner boxes like satellite companies were doing before. Keep the local stations in your lineup so it is seamless, but have that signal come in through an over-the-air antenna instead of through the cable box to give people the opportunity to avoid those fees. If TV stations balk, then just pull them off the system. I don't think anybody will miss them at this point.

3. My cable company, before they sold out to another cable company, was actively pushing you to drop tv. They wanted you only as an Internet customer and they wanted you to stream. If you wanted cable, they wanted you to go through YouTube TV. Internet they say generates 80% of their profits, with very little effort spent on service calls and that sort of thing compared to TV which generates only 20% profit, but gives them all sorts of grief administratively.

Edited by DirtyHarry
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

For markets dominated by Nexstar where others have been bought out by them, this is seriously bad news, especially in emergency situations; you can be sure mets will be pissed off they can't say 'stream us live' during a tornado warning (or have to whip up a jerry-rigged FB Live stream to do so). And this is a direct Exhibit A about why net neutrality should definitely apply to broadcasters.

You're better off buying P+ or Peacock and streaming a local CBS or NBC affiliate that way so you don't have to bother with these fights NX wants to pick with everyone, and you hope that an ABC livestream will be part of Disney+ premium soon. And if WGN thought things were bad when they took the 9 off of now-News Nation, this is coal in the stocking to their stubborn snowbird audience, but Perry won't care.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

You're better off buying P+ or Peacock and streaming a local CBS or NBC affiliate that way so you don't have to bother with these fights NX wants to pick with everyone, and you hope that an ABC livestream will be part of Disney+ premium soon. And if WGN thought things were bad when they took the 9 off of now-News Nation, this is coal in the stocking to their stubborn snowbird audience, but Perry won't care.

That right there is the fastest way the networks are going to pull their affiliations off of Nexstar.  NBC is a big one.   

Nexstar had better behave or they're going to get what's coming to them and quick.

Then again, what would this world like had Meredith gotten their way with Media General and Sinclair absorbing Tribune?

• Like 4

10 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

For markets dominated by Nexstar where others have been bought out by them, this is seriously bad news, especially in emergency situations; you can be sure mets will be pissed off they can't say 'stream us live' during a tornado warning (or have to whip up a jerry-rigged FB Live stream to do so). And this is a direct Exhibit A about why net neutrality should definitely apply to broadcasters.

Hopefully, Deathstar… err Nexstar is smart and will still let stations live stream in real time severe weather. But this is the same company that didn’t have their cable channel break into programming for the death of Her Late Majesty The Queen.

I do want to know how many current stations still don’t have live stream of any kind. I know in the past two years, one of the stations I grew up watching finally got live stream, but for some of their newscast. And that is if they remember to turn it on. 

Edited by EVVTV12
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, EVVTV12 said:

Hopefully, Deathstar… err Nexstar is smart and will still let stations live stream in real time severe weather. But this is the same company that didn’t have their cable channel break into programming for the death of Her Late Majesty The Queen.

I do want to know how many current stations still don’t have live stream of any kind. I know I’m the past two years, one of the stations I grew up watching finally got live stream, but for some of their newscast. And that is if they remember to turn it on. 

They'd get eaten alive by the competition in that situation.

• Like 1

How in the world do they think  this will work in markets like LA and Chicago? Like they could probably get away with this in Minot - but in their large markets this has disaster written all over it.

Perry seems to think that the cable bundle is the way of the future - not even Sinclair is that delusional.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

This is dumb. I’m sorry I don’t have a more original thought contribution, but it’s so dumb that I can’t even begin to comprehend it. These people actually think they can live and die on retrans fees.

For all of Tegna’s intelligence-insulting gimmicks, Sinclair’s extreme political bias, and Gray’s cheap/outdated visual aesthetic, those companies can at least understand one thing: they know where their audience is and where to grow it. Nexstar looks to be run by people who are too stubborn to understand that, to the point that they’re even killing off the damn web streams. It’s been said before, and it’s worth repeating: big market company, small market mentality.

• Like 9

Speaking of Nexstar and their bad web strategy, their stations are currently posting an old NN story about Biden getting COVID as new on social...WGN just had to rush out a retraction because someone on the web hub make a major error.

image.thumb.jpeg.6a232f3899d2ac07a16f067514c97912.jpeg

image.thumb.png.0d5665986935923136aaacc440e5a0bc.png

Edited by mrschimpf

On 12/22/2022 at 8:42 AM, tyrannical bastard said:

Sooo how long before nexstar begins having to sell of some of there stations because there viewership & web traffic is down, & they have less advertisers due to weird stuff like this???    These other media companies (Tegna, Scripps, Sinclair, Hubbard,ect) are going to eventually eat there lunch.

I give it a year and they will be back to streaming there newscasts.  February 2023 just as sweeps begin they will be back.... 

Hell even really small media companies like Waterman Broadcasting Corporation & News-Press & Gazette Co live stream there newscasts at there respective station websites.    

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

WFLA will be very angry, as they literally run themselves on streaming coverage and online specials, especially during hurricane season.

It wasn't long ago when the company thought most stations would adopt the WFLA "always on" model of streaming. WGN-TV and KDVR did it for a while.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, TheRob said:

It wasn't long ago when the company thought most stations would adopt the WFLA "always on" model of streaming. WGN-TV and KDVR did it for a while.

The sad thing is, Media General and Tribune had really good streaming platforms through their use of Livestream (now owned by Vimeo) and Media General even had many of their stations on the NewsOn service.  Nexstar has stripped much of this away with a very web-centric strategy, making their streams confined to websites and phones, and not easily translating to OTT.

Fast forward to now, and the major broadcasters have pretty much put their stations news products on air 24/7 with their existing newscasts, re-airings, and other exclusive content that seamlessly works into its own virtual channel.  It allows for new and targeted revenue streams that can reach viewers down to the ZIP code.

And Nexstar is taking what they have and making it less valuable, all in the name of shaking down every Cable customer and cable company to squeeze every penny out of what should be a free service to the local viewer.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, EVVTV12 said:

Well, well, well. This gonna be great for WOOD-TV. I’m pretty sure they are happy about this and celebrating in the newsroom. 
https://www.woodtv.com/about-us/wood-tv8-launches-two-hour-delayed-news-stream/

If you listen carefully, you can hear Fox17 and WZZM putting new promos together. 

And also WWMT as well...

1 hour ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

They are doing that to get you to pay for Cable to watch it live, to make those retran$.

If Nexstar want you to pay to watch their live newscasts, they can just place the live stream behind a paywall.

• 24994J locked this topic
  • Weeters unlocked this topic