Nexstar...again

1 hour ago, TheSpeedKing said:

As for WDKY, the rebrand took place as scheduled. New Nexstar website as well. IMO, the new logo reminds me of KGO-TV. I'm not aware of any airchecks yet, so I don't know if the ticker was removed (Good for them if they did!).

We've had some severe weather today (again) here in Kentucky. 

They broke into programming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LexTVandRadio said:

We've had some severe weather today (again) here in Kentucky. 

They broke into programming.

I'm still not convinced that WDKY had a reason (besides network affiliation) to not use the KOIN package. As for the logo, it's basically a coloured version of the generic Tegna Fox affiliate logos.

• Like 1

Just now, TheSpeedKing said:

I'm still not convinced that WDKY had a reason (besides network affiliation) to not use the KOIN package. As for the logo, it's basically a coloured version of the generic Tegna Fox affiliate logos.

The CSD is clueless. An L3 with 5 different colors is too damn busy!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

The CSD is clueless. An L3 with 5 different colors is too damn busy!

I mean...the CSD's work here is very childish, like a lot of Nexstar stations' in-house work. New watchers (important for the marketers) will not be captivated if your graphics are garbage. Nexstar, please hire CSDs that know today's design languages.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TheSpeedKing said:

I mean...the CSD's work here is very childish, like a lot of Nexstar stations' in-house work. New watchers (important for the marketers) will not be captivated if your graphics are garbage. Nexstar, please hire CSDs that know today's design languages.

If you watch almost ALL of the Nexstar stations, you will see that Nexstar almost never hires Art Directors and CSDs who know their design language. Especially because most CSDs come from News, not Marketing and can't translate research to a comprehensive brand. The industry just doesn't care anymore.

Edited by ABC 7 Denver
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, TheSpeedKing said:

As you said I think the KOIN news package would've worked better here.

Just so long to the blue and yellow sinclair logo they've had since 2001. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, phillynewslover said:

According to TV Passport, WNCN in Raleigh is cutting the noon newscast down to a half hour, and moving The Young and the Restless to 12:30p (currently they air it at 4p). Y&R has aired at 4p in Raleigh since 1993.

WRAL started the practice  and WNCN continued it in 2016. Thought WNCN would move it when it got the affiliation. My Carolina Talk moves up to 9am. I imagine they will start a 4pm news.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nelson R. said:

WRAL started the practice  and WNCN continued it in 2016. Thought WNCN would move it when it got the affiliation. My Carolina Talk moves up to 9am. I imagine they will start a 4pm news.

Nexstar couldn't be that shortsighted. This is not Lexington, KY where you have a low-quality competitor (cough, WTVQ). In the Triangle, your competitors are some of the best stations in the entire country. There will be no way WNCN can poach viewers away unless Nexstar does something different, and launching another newscast is not the solution.

• Like 2

Nexstar couldn't be that shortsighted. This is not Lexington, KY where you have a low-quality competitor (cough, WTVQ). In the Triangle, your competitors are some of the best stations in the entire country. There will be no way WNCN can poach viewers away unless Nexstar does something different, and launching another newscast is not the solution.

That is why in the MG era, WNCN's newscasts were 6:00, 7:00 (instead of 5:00) and 11, and with neither WRAL or WTVD doing a 7 at that time, it gave them a way to catch viewers who otherwise watch one of WRAL or WTVD.

Edited by elfuego35
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

Nexstar couldn't be that shortsighted

Yes they can be that shortsighted.

If they were going to do this, with Ellen leaving next year anyway they should’ve just moved her to 9 for the rest of the season and moved Y&R to 3 to keep it as a lead-in. Maybe it was a CBS mandate to air Y&R in pattern as David Salter on Discord suggested. But I doubt it.

F245F476-9839-4CD9-82F3-3A1CC3291CFA.png

Edited by Nelson R.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

Yes they can be that shortsighted.

If they were going to do this, with Ellen leaving next year anyway they should’ve just moved her to 9 for the rest of the season and moved Y&R to 3 to keep it as a lead-in. Maybe it was a CBS mandate to air Y&R in pattern as David Salter on Discord suggested. But I doubt it.

F245F476-9839-4CD9-82F3-3A1CC3291CFA.png

I don’t think it was a CBS mandate; I think the decline in ratings nationally of Y&R (not to mention the decline of the entire soap genre itself to the point that there are only 4 on the air) probably gave management a reason to move Y&R to its in-pattern network time…..

It’s probably the same reason WAFB in Baton Rouge moved Y&R from afternoons back to its in-pattern time of 11a (Central Time) a couple of years ago; in their case, the show had aired in the afternoon since the late ‘80s!

19 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

No one should be really surprised. For the last several years it seems that the network's goal is for the affiliate to air their daytime show on its recommended timeslot. Look at all of those stations that use to carry Y&R at 4pm prior to a few years ago (i.e. KMOV, WAFB).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

No one should be really surprised. For the last several years it seems that the network's goal is for the affiliate to air their daytime show on its recommended timeslot. Look at all of those stations that use to carry Y&R at 4pm prior to a few years ago (i.e. KMOV, WAFB).

I'm not concerned about WNCN moving Y&R to the recommended time slot, but I'm more concerned about what they are replacing it in that timeslot.

2 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

I’m not sure the issue is with CBS; the ratings for Y&R have declined over the last several years (as has the entire soap genre itself), so maybe that is the reason why management at WNCN moved Y&R back to midday (and also why KMOV & WAFB moved the show back to midday, as well). Maybe I’m wrong…..

• 24994J locked this topic
  • Weeters unlocked this topic