Nexstar...again

6 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Another casualty could be MeTV, especially since we're nearing the decade mark where Media General purged out RTV in favor of MeTV in many of their markets.  I"m sure Nexstar would rather carry an owned network over someone else's when the contracts expire.  Now the question is, will this harm MeTV if this is the case? 

I'm told MeTV does VERY well in the ratings in certain markets, with some key demos.

MeTV has been on a roll. They've been consistent in getting top-notch shows, they produce a late-night movie show, and they've even added a classic cartoon block with Warner Bros. and MGM shorts, something I don't think anyone was expecting. I can see them coming out just fine. After all, Weigel's been adamant about expanding their reach, and they've been buying stations in markets beyond the Great Lakes region they'd long restricted themselves to as a means to that end.

That MeTV's been doing well in certain demos doesn't surprise me at all. A lot of their programming doesn't really have any equivalents on other OTA networks, even the Big 5, and they just know how to pick the best shows.

Edited by Adam MadMan
  • Like 7

Another thing that helps MeTV is (was?) their national carriage on AT&T's UVerse system. 

(Given the mess that is AT&T's pay tv platforms, there's no telling if that's still the case.  Basically UVerse is for existing customers anymore and the only option is the inferior AT&T TV platform or DirecTV.)

The Scripps and Sinclair networks could be kicked off the Nexstar stations, especially the former Tribune ones, who filled out their diginets with the readily available on digital Sinclair ones (TBD and Charge!)  Scripps seems to be doing the same with their networks, and Nexstar, tied to their airwaves, could have plenty of room for both channels in many of their markets once the dust settles.

We (meaning Portland, ME) lost Antenna TV on cable when Tribune had its dispute with Spectrum and it never came back. After a while as an OTA-only channel Antenna TV got dropped in favor of one of Tegna's in-house multicast channels.

Well, WJKT has finally switched to WREG's orbit, and is now simulcasting select WREG newscasts.   But still no news at 9pm.

https://changingnewscasts.wordpress.com/2021/04/29/catch-up-post-29-wjkt-wreg-wsmv-wwsb/

You would think that WREG could squeeze out a 9pm show, but apparently not.

And then there's the new logo.

FB_IMG_1619720822216.jpg

32 minutes ago, TheRob said:

I saw that WDKY in Lexington is advertising for a news director, which I think would be its first.

https://nexstar.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/nexstar/job/Nexstar---WDKY/News-Director_REQ-9296

Does this not sound like they are launching an in-house news department? Which if so, is something I've been predicting since the day the ink dried on the transfer from Sinclair. This wording "from near the ground up" makes it seem like the two WDKY-only anchors (Marvin Bartlett and Kristen Pflum), who are contracted to Nexstar, would go to this possible in-house effort, severing the ties with WKYT.

Makes me wonder where WDKY would go to do its news. The current office is too small to house a news department (and it's just that, sales and marketing offices; master control had been out of WSYX in Columbus and is now coming from one of the Nexstar hubs, probably Indianapolis). New building?

So many questions....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sanewsguy said:

https://nexstar.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/nexstar/job/Nexstar---WDKY/News-Director_REQ-9296

Does this not sound like they are launching an in-house news department? Which if so, is something I've been predicting since the day the ink dried on the transfer from Sinclair. This wording "from near the ground up" makes it seem like the two WDKY-only anchors (Marvin Bartlett and Kristen Pflum), who are contracted to Nexstar, would go to this possible in-house effort, severing the ties with WKYT.

Makes me wonder where WDKY would go to do its news. The current office is too small to house a news department (and it's just that, sales and marketing offices; master control had been out of WSYX in Columbus and is now coming from one of the Nexstar hubs, probably Indianapolis). New building?

So many questions....

Ha, I just saw this and put in the speculation chat. 

Yeah to me, this makes me think this is just the start of ending the relationship with WKYT and nothing against WKYT, just wanting to go out on their own.   Not sure when that ends.

If we start to see anchors/meteorologist job postings for WDKY, then here is our sign. 

• 3 weeks later...

I had a feeling that Antenna TV was going to a sister TV network Rewind TV I think Tribune was thinking of doing it as well. I hope that Rewind TV will add Charles In Charge and some other '80s & '90s TV shows, will be on WoodTV or WOTV .2 or .3 on either station.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Nelson R. said:

Looks like Rewind TV will be replacing QVC2 on WJZY 46.8.

Already questioned this on Wikipedia; there's no way it would be stuck on a .8 channel where cable providers can reject carriage. It will be on there as a .2 or .3, probably replacing Charge. WJZY/WMYT's map has always been a mess, and that long-term agreement with Capitol to carry SonLife before they sold to Fox certainly didn't help.

• Confused 1

I tried to download the WJZY news app again and its full of glitches and doesn't stream properly again. According to most reviewers on the Google Play store, they agree that WJZY news app is crap a year later still. Another disaster after another with this switch over from the FTS maintained to this Nexstar maintained app... 

Edited by jero23

On 6/11/2021 at 11:41 AM, mrschimpf said:

Already questioned this on Wikipedia; there's no way it would be stuck on a .8 channel where cable providers can reject carriage. It will be on there as a .2 or .3, probably replacing Charge. WJZY/WMYT's map has always been a mess, and that long-term agreement with Capitol to carry SonLife before they sold to Fox certainly didn't help.

From the looks of things, the channel share with WMYT is greatly in WJZY's favor, with only WMYT's main signal keeping their own PSIP.

I wonder when we'll see a list of affiliates for Rewind TV?

Mobile/Pensacola could be interesting, as no one carries Antenna TV itself.  It had carriage on WPAN-TV (when it was mostly off the air) and may have never seen the light of day.  Which companies' diginets could get the shaft from Nexstar? 

There's no ION station here, it's always had carriage on WKRG 5.2 and Court TV is on 5.4,  WFNA has Bounce on 55.2  and Grit on 55.4. 

MeTV is close to the decade mark on WKRG 5.3 and there's also Tegna's True Crime on WFNA 55.3.

Edited by tyrannical bastard

52 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

The Founder's Day of Caring was sidelined last year due to the pandemic. They're doing it big this year.

I thought this was just a one time thing because of the 25th anniversary but Charlotte is still a relatively new Nexstar market.

20 minutes ago, Nelson R. said:

I thought this was just a one time thing because of the 25th anniversary but Charlotte is still a relatively new Nexstar market.

That makes sense from that market's perspective. The video I shared said that WWLP did this sort of thing in the past, but that joined Nexstar in the Media General buyout, so I believe they did this at least three times before (I'd say four if not for the pandemic). WJZY, of course, joined Nexstar just before the shutdowns, so they didn't get to promote the event that year.

Edited by Adam MadMan

On 4/12/2021 at 3:16 AM, CircleSeven said:

Mission has yet to consummate on the WNAC acquisition from Super Towers. The FCC approved the deal back in November.

The reasoning for filing this 2nd extension is for the seller to "resolve accounting issues related to the closing".

Follow up.

The WNAC deal has finally been consummated as of last Wednesday (6/16).

The Mission website has included WNAC in their station listing with an interesting element.

Is the station changing its logo?

wnac_tv_providence_logo__nexstar_styled_

Edited by CircleSeven

• 24994J locked this topic
  • Weeters unlocked this topic