Nexstar...again

18 hours ago, TheRob said:

I love the release on their website: "KTLA has a long history of firsts when it comes to technology..."

Forget that CBSN, ABC O&O's, Gray, Scripps, etc have had Roku/Fire/AppleTV apps for a long time- Nexstar stations are leading the way like the Internet Explorer of SmartTV news that they are!

• Haha 4

Nexstar Inc. President of Broadcasting Timothy C. Busch to Retire in Mid-2021

36 Year Broadcasting Veteran Served in Multiple Leadership Roles Over 20 Years as Nexstar Grew to Become the Nation’s Largest Broadcaster

IRVING, TX – Nexstar Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Nexstar Media Group, Inc. (Nasdaq: NXST), announced today that President, Broadcasting, Timothy C. Busch, will retire June 1, 2021, following a 36-year career in the broadcast industry.  Mr. Busch joined Nexstar in 2000 as General Manager at WROC (CBS) in Rochester, New York and over his career with Nexstar ascended to roles of increasing responsibility including Executive Vice President and Co-Chief Operating Officer and ultimately President of Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc., the predecessor to Nexstar Inc.

On 11/27/2020 at 1:29 AM, blizzard59 said:

I see that to watch livestreams of WBRE/WYOU newscasts now, you have to login with a participating TV provider. So far, the only participating providers are four small local operations. Is Nexstar testing out restricting local station livestreams to pay TV subscribers or something?

https://www.pahomepage.com/live-stream/

An update on this: Both WBRE/WYOU and WTNH have removed the restrictions and now you can view their newscasts without to login.

Edited by RGSJenkins

9 hours ago, RGSJenkins said:

An update on this: Both WBRE/WYOU and WTNH have removed the restrictions and now you can view their newscasts without to login.

Nexstar probably either realized that this was a bad idea, or they received too many viewer complaints.

It seems in the past week or so that newscasts on WBRE/WYOU now have the reporters referencing the channel numbers of the two stations for the first time in roughly 15~ years.

It's VERY awkward when you hear it spoken in a toss to a package like: "WBRE 28 WYOU 22 Eyewitness News reporter, Chris Bohinski tells us..."

What could have prompted this change?

image.png.df99c99d8bb254013f6bcda00898bff0.png

1 hour ago, NEPANews said:

It seems in the past week or so that newscasts on WBRE/WYOU now have the reporters referencing the channel numbers of the two stations for the first time in roughly 15~ years.

It's VERY awkward when you hear it spoken in a toss to a package like: "WBRE 28 WYOU 22 Eyewitness News reporter, Chris Bohinski tells us..."

image.png.df99c99d8bb254013f6bcda00898bff0.png

This is a whole new level of stupid.

• Haha 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/3/2021 at 9:21 AM, NEPANews said:

Not sure, but WDVM (formerly WHAG) has added the "25" back into promotions - not part of the logo or the newscast name (yet), but I suspect it's to re-emphasize the channel number, as more people cut the cord, plus WDVM is being introduced OTA into the DC market proper via both a transmitter relocation as well as being added as "guest" subchannel on WFDC (which has WDCA as a channel-share)...

Jim

On 3/22/2021 at 8:02 PM, compubit said:

Not sure, but WDVM (formerly WHAG) has added the "25" back into promotions - not part of the logo or the newscast name (yet), but I suspect it's to re-emphasize the channel number, as more people cut the cord, plus WDVM is being introduced OTA into the DC market proper via both a transmitter relocation as well as being added as "guest" subchannel on WFDC (which has WDCA as a channel-share)...

Jim

Not only that, its also simulcast via WDCW's transmitter on 25.1, so you have WDVM on 25.1 via WDVM and on 25.1 via WDCW.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it me or does Nexstar seem to be afraid of digital?  What I mean is, you don't see nexstar stations trying new digital things & live streaming appears to be very inconsistent across nexstar stations .   While KDVR did launch "FOX31 NOW" that is just an online stream & it's minimal effort at that, mainly traffic accidents, weather ect.  

For example: KXRM has very little in the way of live streaming on it's website, it does stream all of it's newscasts but that is about it.   KREX & KFQX have no live streaming options available at there website.   Again inconsistent across there footprint.  I think that should be focus for Nexstar instead of pet projects like News Nation, which is a dumpster fire in of it's self.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DENDude said:

Is it me or does Nexstar seem to be afraid of digital?  What I mean is, you don't see nexstar stations trying new digital things & live streaming appears to be very inconsistent across nexstar stations .   While KDVR did launch "FOX31 NOW" that is just an online stream & it's minimal effort at that, mainly traffic accidents, weather ect.  

For example: KXRM has very little in the way of live streaming on it's website, it does stream all of it's newscasts but that is about it.   KREX & KFQX have no live streaming options available at there website.   Again inconsistent across there footprint.  I think that should be focus for Nexstar instead of pet projects like News Nation, which is a dumpster fire in of it's self.

Yeah...but as you said...Nexstar's priorities are out of whack. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Mission has yet to consummate on the WNAC acquisition from Super Towers. The FCC approved the deal back in November.

The reasoning for filing this 2nd extension is for the seller to "resolve accounting issues related to the closing".

Or...."The left hand can't reach the right hand" 🤣😂

Edited by Yankees4life
  • Haha 1

On 4/10/2021 at 2:26 AM, DENDude said:

I’ve often said this before, no focus on digital or streaming. 

I will say WTEN does often does online only (political or entertainment) specials but there’s not a station wide focus on digital. 

If I had a nickel for every time this has been brought up...

It seems they have even squandered all of the efforts they've absorbed.  Media General/Lin Digital?  Hyfn?  Lakana? (the former IBS and Inergize websites)  All it seems to have produced is some new websites for the group and squandered any other opportunities to expand digitally.

If they should learn anything from Sinclair, it's not to rely on cable and satellite to build your audience, and try and squeeze the pennies out of the digital end.  At least WGN/NewsNation is minimal in value compared to the albatross that Bally Sports has become....

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 1:26 AM, DENDude said:

I still remember locally that Liberty Media had a great website and streaming presence for WFRV...and it was gone the moment Nexstar closed on their deal. In 2021, their video presence is pretty much confined to a hard-to-find link on their website, and their live player is so janky, it's better to just adjust your location on Paramount+ if you pay for it, and stream WFRV that way.

I still remember a few years back the WFRV social media guy arguing on Twitter with public @'s towards the holder of the (at)wfrv account who was willing to sell it to Nexstar at a reasonable price (yes, don't take the offer and just get legal to dot those I's and T's to get it)...and now the account is suspended, meaning Nexstar will likely have to pay a lot if they ever want to reduce their address down from the bulky (at)wfrvlocal5

Edited by mrschimpf

6 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

I still remember locally that Liberty Media had a great website and streaming presence for WFRV...and it was gone the moment Nexstar closed on their deal. In 2021, their video presence is pretty much confined to a hard-to-find link on their website, and their live player is so janky, it's better to just adjust your location on Paramount+ if you pay for it, and stream WFRV that way.

I still remember a few years back the WFRV social media guy arguing on Twitter with public @'s towards the holder of the (at)wfrv account who was willing to sell it to Nexstar at a reasonable price (yes, don't take the offer and just get legal to dot those I's and T's to get it)...and now the account is suspended, meaning Nexstar will likely have to pay a lot if they ever want to reduce their address down from the bulky (at)wfrvlocal5

Another consequence of Nexstar's past digital mishaps, their unwieldy, hard to find, and god-awful website names they launched at many of their stations pre-Media General merger.   Even worse, in some cases they let the original, simple, call letter websites lapse so either they are now orphaned or have been swallowed up by cyber squatters.

And to add even more insult to injury in Green Bay, their website is still WeAreGreenBay.com. 

WFRVLocal5.com appears to be available, why not consolidate everything under the same name?

Oh wait it's Nexstar....nevermind....🤦‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WEHT/WTVW still use TriStateHomePage.com as their awful address, but it's not the worst I've seen.

I also don't understand why they toss to reporters like this: "Eyewitness News' John Doe has the story." instead of "Eyewitness News reporter John Doe has the story." It sounds wrong when they say it that way, even if the possessive (s') is there in writing.

And another dumb thing for WEHT/WTVW... their top-hour ID on their Eyewitness News shows on WTVW shows the WEHT station-ID. I mentioned this to them almost two years ago and it's never changed. 

When Nexstar got the "KX" empire in Western and Central North Dakota (KXMA/B/C/D) from Reiten, they changed the longtime "KXnet.com" to "MyNDnow.com". It lasted a couple of months before being flipped back.

Gotta love the stubbornness or North Dakotans!

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, edutv9 said:

WEHT/WTVW still use TriStateHomePage.com as their awful address, but it's not the worst I've seen.

I also don't understand why they toss to reporters like this: "Eyewitness News' John Doe has the story." instead of "Eyewitness News reporter John Doe has the story." It sounds wrong when they say it that way, even if the possessive (s') is there in writing.

And another dumb thing for WEHT/WTVW... their top-hour ID on their Eyewitness News shows on WTVW shows the WEHT station-ID. I mentioned this to them almost two years ago and it's never changed. 

Some of Nexstar's Louisiana stations still have their unique addresses. For example, KTAL still uses arklatexhomepage.com, KTVE/KARD still uses myarklamiss.com, and WVLA still uses brproud.com (I think WVLA, after being acquired by Nexstar from ComCorp, was one of the last Nexstar stations to use [insert unique area name].com as their website address; my guess is that practice has stopped since at least Nexstar's merger with Media General).

To be fair, the website layouts on all the sites that I mentioned have improved in the last several years, IMHO......

Edited by J1975am

On 4/13/2021 at 9:47 AM, Jakob said:

Another thing is that Nexstar doesn't stream there stations on NewsOn. Gray, Hearst Television, Cox and Tegna stream there stations on NewsOn, but not Nexstar.

I never appreciated the NewsOn app until I tried watching on a real tv. It's pretty cool.

23 hours ago, GodfreyGR said:

When Nexstar got the "KX" empire in Western and Central North Dakota (KXMA/B/C/D) from Reiten, they changed the longtime "KXnet.com" to "MyNDnow.com". It lasted a couple of months before being flipped back.

Gotta love the stubbornness or North Dakotans!

Dumping a 70 (?) year old brand name like KX for Nexstars stupid web names is like when Macy's dumped 150 year old names like Lazarus because they thought everybody was so impressed with New York City and was dying to have a New York City department store in their town

On 4/13/2021 at 12:47 AM, tyrannical bastard said:

If they should learn anything from Sinclair, it's not to rely on cable and satellite to build your audience, and try and squeeze the pennies out of the digital end.

I asked some radio guys whether all the infrastructure that goes into broadcasting makes sense today cost-wise given that you can access everything on the web. You've got 2000 ft towers, tower crews and an entire plant you have to maintain just to get out a signal for people to listen to mp3s. (In radio, that is.) 

I was told that bandwidth is far more expensive than all the overhead you have to incur to get a broadcast signal out. Since video is far more bandwidth intensive than audio, I'm wondering what the numbers are.

Edited by DirtyHarry
  • Like 3

• 24994J locked this topic
  • Weeters unlocked this topic