Nexstar...again

I had to reread the FTVLive article the 2nd time and it appears to me that uncle Perry only wants Atlanta and only Atlanta which tells me that he might be willing to depart a market or two in order to get Atlanta without needed to have the entire Meredith chain.

I'm not sure Meredith is as willing to depart the broadcasting biz (other than splitting the company up into 2) as what we might have initially thought when the talks that Meredith "might" split started to prop up.

Edited by dman748

9 minutes ago, Nelson R. said:

If Meredith sold all to Nexstar/Mission there would be a conflict in GSA and WHNS would have to be divested...I think there are other conflicts as well...

Tons of conflicts....

Greenville/Spartanburg has WSPA/WYCW

Mobile has WKRG/WFNA (along with Sinclair running every other station)

St. Louis has KTVI/KPLR

Portland has KOIN/KRCW (and Meredith owns KPTV and KPDX)

Las Vegas has KLAS

Springfield, MA has WWLP (and Meredith has the rest of the market with WGGB and WSHM-LD)

Hartford has WTNH/WCTX

Nashville has WKRN

Kansas City has WDAF (and Meredith owns KCTV and KSMO)

Edited by tyrannical bastard

2 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Tons of conflicts....

St. Louis has KTVI/KPLR

Las Vegas has KLAS

Springfield, MA has WWLP

Hartford has WTNH/WCTX

Nashville has WKRN

Plus Kansas City (WDAF vs KCTV/KSMO).

Either way there's a ton of conflicts in the Meredith deal that it only makes sense for Nexstar and Meredith to swap out each other's stations.

37 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Tons of conflicts....

St. Louis has KTVI/KPLR

Las Vegas has KLAS

Springfield, MA has WWLP (and Meredith has the rest of the market with WGGB and WSHM-LD)

Hartford has WTNH/WCTX

Nashville has WKRN

Kansas City has WDAF (and Meredith owns KCTV and KSMO)

It would be virtually impossible. The only way I can see Nexstar with WGCL is if an owner already in the market (i.e. Cox or Tegna) acquired Meredith. Unless they are looking at another station (i.e. the CBS-owned CW station)?

Of the 12 markets that Meredith is in, Nexstar is in 9 of them. That's a deal that will NEVER work.

Edited by GoldenShine9
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

It would be virtually impossible. The only way I can see Nexstar with WGCL is if an owner already in the market (i.e. Cox or Tegna) acquired Meredith. Unless they are looking at another station (i.e. the CBS-owned CW station)?

Of the 12 markets that Meredith is in, Nexstar is in 9 of them. That's a deal that will NEVER work.

Or Meredith goes piecemeal. Either of the 3 will be the only way how Nexstar gets Atlanta.

• Like 1

I think it's wishful thinking on Nexstar's part. If the company really wants an Atlanta news presence beyond a token capital bureau, then just do it. Commit the money and launch a newsroom dedicated to digital platforms. Hire a few people to chase news dayside and nightside. Shoot, edit, publish without regard to timeline, without worry about interrupting network programming or making slot at 5:02. Use the News Nation branding if you like. Hire some account executives to sell it. If sufficient following is achieved, maybe you can work up to a traditional newscast, maybe lease time on an existing Atlanta station. It could be a model for other NXST market holes like Phoenix or Seattle or Minneapolis or Boston.

• Like 2

Sooner or later, these companies have to go digital.  It's out of the FCC's realm.  And it's an area Nexstar needs to update itself on. Sinclair is at least trying with STIRR and willing to go DTC on their sports nets.

Relying on websites and trying to tie their web streaming to cable providers is a bad idea in the works....

• Like 3

10 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

From today's FTVLIVE...

I could see the WDVM move-in, but would it affect retransmission consent with WDCW?  Could the same owner opt for must-carry for one station and retransmission consent for the other?

I highly doubt Meredith would part with WGCL, yet alone sell out entirely to Nexstar (or Mission).  That would be a Sinclair-level shell game as there are many markets where Nexstar and Meredith compete, and the FCC would be amiss to allow some triopolies (along with the Sinclair/Deerfield cluster-f$#% in Mobile/Pensacola.)  Atlanta may be a place to buy a stick and start anew.  Maybe Meredith would be willing to sell WPCH?  The irony in that is that the former W(TBS) and WGN (America) could all be under the same owner.

Don't put I past them to try. They'd sooner divide all stations, each one station under it's own sidecar, controlled by Perry Sook's dog. And a fine for them to try is a slap on the wrist. 

Nexstar isn't gonna buy Meredith. Way too many conflicts to deal with. I can see Allen buying Meredith or Standard since they don't own many stations with conflicts 

But then again this is probably suitable to the Speculatron thread and not here...

19 hours ago, Yankees4life said:

Nexstar isn't gonna buy Meredith. Way too many conflicts to deal with. I can see Allen buying Meredith or Standard since they don't own many stations with conflicts 

But then again this is probably suitable to the Speculatron thread and not here...

True. Unless... Meredith decides to sell WGCL/WPCH to Nexstar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TheRob said:

WOW. So that explains why Ann Wyatt-Little has been on there. I wonder if she will be her permanent replacement or if she is just filling in until they get Morgan’s replacement. I also didn’t get around to mentioning that they also let Chuck Roads go at the first of the year. No more traffic reports. He is now at 730 The Game.

Morgan’s Twitter is now private and she has removed Fox 46 from her bio. She has not released a statement.

Edited by Nelson R.

19 hours ago, TheRob said:

16 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

WOW. So that explains why Ann Wyatt-Little has been on there. I wonder if she will be her permanent replacement or if she is just filling in until they get Morgan’s replacement. I also didn’t get around to mentioning that they also let Chuck Roads go at the first of the year. No more traffic reports. He is now at 730 The Game.

Morgan’s Twitter is now private and she has removed Fox 46 from her bio. She has not released a statement.

If you watch the clip, what most likely set her off was a phrase written on the teleprompter that made her slip her tongue. I don’t know if that phrase was poorly written, or if there was an extra word in the phrase that shouldn’t have been added, but regardless, it was wrong for Morgan to lose her temper at the crew like that.....

• Like 2

On 2/9/2021 at 2:57 PM, Nelson R. said:

As I've said that station is going down the toilet because of Nexstar...

On 2/9/2021 at 2:57 PM, Nelson R. said:

Ann is now on Good Day Charlotte permanently https://www.instagram.com/p/CLSvim3p9ew/?igshid=jna3wxkbnw7p

15 hours ago, JCB4TV said:

From Wichita Falls:

Power outage knocks KFDX off the air

I would assume that KFDX doesn't have a backup generator to keep the power at the station going. It's also possible that KFDX might not have a generator either and for a market the size of Wichita Falls, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they didn't have one at all.

• 24994J locked this topic
  • Weeters unlocked this topic