Nexstar...again

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder when Antenna TV will leave WXMI Fox17 for Nexstar's Wood TV, WOTV or WXSP subchannels.  Antenna TV has been on Fox17 subchannel since day 1 a decade ago wonder if it was a for life deal since Tribune owned the Antenna TV before the merger with Nexstar as Nexstar owns all of the Katz diginets that Scripps owns. Once that deal ends with Nexstar all of them goes to WZPX ION the stations that Scripps doesn't want will go to WZPX Scripps does air a couple of the Sinclair diginets Charged on .4 & TBD .5. 

51 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Scripps has announced the completion of the sale of WPIX to Mission today.

The Lighthouse only held the station for 468 days.

My guess is: a. this means that WPIX reporters will soon show up on "NewsNation", or have their WPIX reports shown there, and b. the Nexstar closing animation could show up at the end of one of WPIX's newscasts as early as today, no???

39 minutes ago, J1975am said:

My guess is: a. this means that WPIX reporters will soon show up on "NewsNation", or have their WPIX reports shown there, and b. the Nexstar closing animation could show up at the end of one of WPIX's newscasts as early as today, no???

I believe it took WDKY a week to get the Nexstar closing animation back in the fall, but then again it's market 63, not 1. 

55 minutes ago, Sendir said:

How much did this cost Nexstar? I am not seeing a price tag in the press releases. 

From this link:

The option price is $75 million plus accrued interest, which will be calculated between the Sept. 19, 2019, purchase date of WPIX by Scripps and the option sale closing date.

48 minutes ago, lugnuts6 said:

Ok, I gotta ask , what about MeTV on WSYM FOX47.2 in Lansing,Michigan will that stay or go to gray's WILX TV 10.5 [presently antenna TV]

Not sure when that contract expires. But as of now, WSYM is still the MeTV affiliate in Lansing.

I totally expect WKRG and others who switched from Retro TV to meTV, to affiliate with Antenna TV this fall. The 10 year anniversary is this September.

In Mobile-Pensacola, I don't even think the listed affiliate (WPAN 40) ever carried it.  They ran into financial problems and ended up selling the station to a receiver, who resold it to the founding owners of WJTQ/WNGS-TV in Buffalo.  The station was already off the air due to an issue with the transmitter site owner, and opted to build a new transmitter for their post-repack facility.  When it signed on the air, it began airing programming from BLAB-TV, a local producer of program-length infomercials, which actually aired on the station years before.

As for MeTV, unless Sinclair or Meredith picks it up,  they could be without a home unless Weigel buys a station or two in the area.  Several HC2 stations just signed on and the programming is worthless.  Weigel getting at least one of them could fill in some major holes as we don't have the other Weigel diginets like H&I or Decades.

On 12/31/2020 at 10:53 AM, CircleSeven said:

From this link:

What I find interesting/concerning with WPIX is technically it is owned by Mission Broadcasting.  However the not so well done website modification and the end of news bumper all say Nexstar.  Talk about blatantly thumbing their nose at ownership regs.  These sidecars are a scam and Pai's FCC just lets it happen.

There's nothing anywhere that says the copyright needs to reflect station ownership. It's a Nexstar-produced newscast, featuring people paid by Nexstar, airing on a station that Nexstar has a contract with to provide services for. There's not much difference between this and a news share agreement where one station provides news for another owned by a different party.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Weeters said:

There's nothing anywhere that says the copyright needs to reflect station ownership. It's a Nexstar-produced newscast, featuring people paid by Nexstar, airing on a station that Nexstar has a contract with to provide services for. There's not much difference between this and a news share agreement where one station provides news for another owned by a different party.

I believe that only the GM, Sales Mgr, and the Engineer are the only Mission employees at WPIX.

9 hours ago, Weeters said:

Either way, we all know who really runs the show anyways. It doesn't mean much as the FCC lets it slide. Don't hate the player, hate the game...

Edited by Yankees4life

2 hours ago, Yankees4life said:

Either way, we all know who really runs the show anyways. It doesn't mean much as the FCC lets it slide. Don't hate the player, hate the game...

I could see every station being acquired this way and operated by Nexstar. Every. One. Of. Them.

• Like 1

From today's FTVLIVE...

I could see the WDVM move-in, but would it affect retransmission consent with WDCW?  Could the same owner opt for must-carry for one station and retransmission consent for the other?

I highly doubt Meredith would part with WGCL, yet alone sell out entirely to Nexstar (or Mission).  That would be a Sinclair-level shell game as there are many markets where Nexstar and Meredith compete, and the FCC would be amiss to allow some triopolies (along with the Sinclair/Deerfield cluster-f$#% in Mobile/Pensacola.)  Atlanta may be a place to buy a stick and start anew.  Maybe Meredith would be willing to sell WPCH?  The irony in that is that the former W(TBS) and WGN (America) could all be under the same owner.

Edited by tyrannical bastard

2 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

From today's FTVLIVE...

I could see the WDVM move-in, but would it affect retransmission consent with WDCW?  Could the same owner opt for must-carry for one station and retransmission consent for the other?

I highly doubt Meredith would part with WGCL, yet alone sell out entirely to Nexstar (or Mission).  That would be a Sinclair-level shell game as there are many markets where Nexstar and Meredith compete, and the FCC would be amiss to allow some triopolies (along with the Sinclair/Deerfield cluster-f$#% in Mobile/Pensacola.)  Atlanta may be a place to buy a stick and start anew.  Maybe Meredith would be willing to sell WPCH?  The irony in that is that the former W(TBS) and WGN (America) could all be under the same owner.

If Meredith sold all to Nexstar/Mission there would be a conflict in GSA and WHNS would have to be divested...I think there are other conflicts as well...

• 24994J locked this topic
  • Weeters unlocked this topic