Nexstar...again

1 hour ago, Adam MadMan said:

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if Nexstar starts putting Antenna TV on all of their stations once the agreements with other owners run out (WTIC in Connecticut, for instance, may just lose it to WTNH once Bounce moves to WHPX). Heck, I'm pretty sure the only reason it's not on more Nexstar stations is because of affiliation agreements with other networks, like the Katz and Weigel networks (the former may not be as much of a problem for longer thanks to the Ion buyout).

WJZY is another example...it will probably get it back from WCCB when that contract runs out. Ironically WCCB picked it up from WJZY after FTS bought WJZY. It won’t be on 46.2 though because it maps to WMYT 55.1.

Edited by Nelson R.

• 2 weeks later...

Basically, Tim & Sean are keeping their same positions under their new corporate structure.

Tim was the president of subsidiary, Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. And Sean was the EVP of WGN America, WGN Radio & Antenna TV & Director of Content Acquisition.

The only one that's leaving is Gregory Raifman, president of Nexstar DIgital, LLC. He will stay on until his term is up at the end of March.

The new structure will go in effect November 1st.

• 3 weeks later...

We have another Nexstar station that's dropping MeTV for Antenna TV.

La Crosse/Eau Claire's WLAX/WEUX is replacing MeTV for Antenna TV (25.2 & 48.2, respectively) beginning December 3.

MeTV will be carried on Quincy's WXOW 19.3 (formerly Decades). 

Also, no word of what Gray's WEAU will be carrying to displace Antenna. It'll highly likely it'll carry Gray's Circle diginet in its place.

I think its "safe to say" that Nexstar is waiting patiently for those MeTV contracts to expire.......

4 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

We have another Nexstar station that's dropping MeTV for Antenna TV.

La Crosse/Eau Claire's WLAX/WEUX is replacing MeTV for Antenna TV (25.2 & 48.2, respectively) beginning December 3.

MeTV will be carried on Quincy's WXOW 19.3 (formerly Decades). 

Also, no word of what Gray's WEAU will be carrying to displace Antenna. It'll highly likely it'll carry Gray's Circle diginet in its place.

I think its "safe to say" that Nexstar is waiting patiently for those MeTV contracts to expire.......

Next year, it will be a decade since Media General dropped Retro TV (RTV) in favor of MeTV in many of their markets at the time.   

Would it be safe to assume that this could be the next wave of Antenna TV agreements, barring any existing commitments they would have in their respective markets?

Sinclair picked up a lot of Antenna TV affiliations in recent years, I wonder if they would be willing to pick up MeTV should Nexstar exercise the right to carry Antenna TV?

Edited by tyrannical bastard

I see that to watch livestreams of WBRE/WYOU newscasts now, you have to login with a participating TV provider. So far, the only participating providers are four small local operations. Is Nexstar testing out restricting local station livestreams to pay TV subscribers or something?

https://www.pahomepage.com/live-stream/

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

6 minutes ago, blizzard59 said:

I see that to watch livestreams of WBRE/WYOU newscasts now, you have to login with a participating TV provider. So far, the only participating providers are four small local operations. Is Nexstar testing out restricting local station livestreams to pay TV subscribers or something?

That would be a terrible mistake if Nexstar rolled out restrictions to the remainder of its stations.   And besides, it makes zero sense for them to do for local stations.  They broadcast OTA, so why they would require people to sign-in via a TV provider has me confused as to the logic of it.

• Like 3

That's a damn shame. But I cannot be surprised.

Before the M&A craze, Nexstar didn't even live stream their newscasts online. To this day, most of the pre-2011 Nexstar stations still don't live stream.

This latest move is just a stark contrast (a complete 180°) to what the other groups are doing. Scripps, Gray, Cox, even the O&Os, have gone all-in on streaming (especially on platforms (ie Roku & FireTV)). Where's Nexstar on any of this?

And what's worse about it, as many folks are cutting the cord like crazy, how about when the power goes out, and they can't watch the broadcast without authentication? You might as well call this a paywall. It's not like they're streaming the entire linear station online.

Edited by CircleSeven
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

That's a damn shame. But I cannot be surprised.

Before the M&A craze, Nexstar didn't even live stream their newscasts online. To this day, most of the pre-2011 Nexstar stations still don't live stream.

This latest move is just a stark contrast (a complete 180°) to what the other groups are doing. Scripps, Gray, Cox, even the O&Os, have gone all-in on streaming (especially on platforms (ie Roku & FireTV)). Where's Nexstar on any of this?

And what's worse about it, as many folks are cutting the cord like crazy, how about when the power goes out, and they can't watch the broadcast without authentication? You might as well call this a paywall. It's not like they're streaming the entire linear station online.

I don't know why most companies nowadays still don't put streaming services on TV Everywhere paywalls. It's 2020 and traditional pay TV is declining every year.

This is a bad move by them and possibly a safety risk. Will they do this during severe weather events?

I swear these station owners are not evolving with the times.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

I don't know why most companies nowadays still don't put streaming services on TV Everywhere paywalls. It's 2020 and traditional pay TV is declining every year.

This is a bad move by them and possibly a safety risk. Will they do this during severe weather events?

I swear these station owners are not evolving with the times.

I could remotely understand this for out-of-town viewers, but at least make it free for people who live inside the market, for pete's sake!

On the other hand, they have the NewsNation debacle and have done little to make WGN America available outside of cable and satellite.

What a seriously misguided strategy they have.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I could remotely understand this for out-of-town viewers, but at least make it free for people who live inside the market, for pete's sake!

On the other hand, they have the NewsNation debacle and have done little to make WGN America available outside of cable and satellite.

What a seriously misguided strategy they have.

Maybe for Out-of Town viewers. I know newspapers have been under paywalls for quite a few years now and some are free but require you to create an account.

The fact that WGN America is not available on any streaming platform in 2020 is absurd. Cable and Satellite will continue to decline in popularity. Wonder if NewsNation would be more popular if it was on any streaming platform ?

• Like 2

I currently live in the Charlotte area but I like being able to occasionally watch the local news from KOLR10.    If they go behind a pay-wall, it will leave me without the ability to watch them (since I'm not currently living in the market).  

I really, really hope that Nexstar doesn't start restricting access to the live streams.

Edited by TheRyan
  • Like 3

Nexstar was supposed to have a big "digital first" push among all its stations until the pandemic hit. You'll see a renewal of it for 2021, and, yes, they'll try to squeeze as much money from it as possible. Look for some of the bigger stations to be doing talk radio for TV online in between newscasts. I think WFLA already does a version of it.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Bottom line is, you've seen one Nexstar station, you've seen them all.

They have gotten quite good at bicycling stories between adjacent markets.  And then there's NewsNation.

That can be said with radio and TV. So much homogenisation. 

• Like 2

On 11/27/2020 at 12:19 PM, Newsjunkie24 said:

This is especially true in Severe Weather markets now those who archive severe weather coverage to YouTube would have no way of being able to freely access stations such as WIAT, KFOR, the KSN stations, or WDAF if they were to go behind the paywall.

I have no idea what the heck Nexstar is thinking but.. this is just not a very smart move.

P.S. all of the stations I just mentioned are in markets that are very Severe Weather savy.

Edited by dman748
  • Like 6

Now it's one thing to login if they are airing network and syndicated programming on the website (like the NBC O&O's sites) or a local cable news station but it's another if you need a login for a local OTA newscast.

Ironically, DISH and Nexstar are having issues right now and if a deal isn't made by this Wednesday December 2nd, DISH viewers are out of luck.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RGSJenkins said:

Now it's one thing to login if they are airing network and syndicated programming on the website (like the NBC O&O's sites) or a local cable news station but it's another if you need a login for a local OTA newscast.

Ironically, DISH and Nexstar are having issues right now and if a deal isn't made by this Wednesday December 2nd, DISH viewers are out of luck.

I agree with that. But anything available free OTA, especially newscasts shouldn't be locked up behind a paywall. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Already mention on the NewsNation thread but color me surprised....... 

Nexstar has struck a deal with YouTube TV to carry WGN America. The carriage will begin on January 19. 

Will they carry Channel 9 or those other locals streams as well? 

But here's the really big news.

The FCC just greenlighted the WPIX deal to Mission.

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

Already mention on the NewsNation thread but color me surprised....... 

Nexstar has struck a deal with YouTube TV to carry WGN America. The carriage will begin on January 19. 

Will they carry Channel 9 or those other locals streams as well? 

But here's the really big news.

The FCC just greenlighted the WPIX deal to Mission.

Here's hoping on the other local streams.  KTLA, KWGN, KPLR, WTVW and the other Nexstar CW affiliates are noticeably absent, and if they re-up with WPIX, it stays since it was added under Scripps.
While WGN Chicago is absent, YTTV not only carries CW26, but also Weigel's "The U" subchannel as well!

Bonus points if "Antenna TV" is carried as well sometime in the near future.

Edited by tyrannical bastard

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2020 at 12:29 AM, blizzard59 said:

This is no longer an isolated incident. WTNH has also gotten a paywall set up on its live stream of local newscasts.

https://www.wtnh.com/news-8-newscasts/

• Sad 3

On 11/27/2020 at 8:48 PM, TheRyan said:

I currently live in the Charlotte area but I like being able to occasionally watch the local news from KOLR10.    If they go behind a pay-wall, it will leave me without the ability to watch them (since I'm not currently living in the market).  

I really, really hope that Nexstar doesn't start restricting access to the live streams.

I live in South Carolina, but I also find 6ABC Action News from WPVI quite interesting (I used to be able to see it on the NewsOn app, until Disney took WPVI and all their stations off from that); that said, I hope Disney doesn't pull a Nexstar and restrict the ABC O&Os to residents of those areas.

• Sad 1

• 24994J locked this topic
  • Weeters unlocked this topic