Nexstar...again

No I wasn't talking about TV stations/spectrum going away. I hope I didn't confuse you.

What I meant was Vaughan could be the next to be acquired by Mission, as they're already in the process of getting Marshall, Tamer & Shield.

I have a feeling Nexstar just want to consolidate all the other shells into Mission. I'm sure they wanted to do this earlier on during previous transactions including Media General, but probably didn't wanted to deal with further hurdles/delays under Wheeler's FCC (if you remember his strict guidance on deals that involved sharing arrangements). And lets not forget the spectrum auction was going on at that same time frame as the MG deal. 

Edited by CircleSeven

2 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

No I wasn't talking about TV stations/spectrum going away. I hope I didn't confuse you.

What I meant was Vaughan could be the next to be acquired by Mission, as they're already in the process of getting Marshall, Tamer & Shield.

I have a feeling Nexstar just want to consolidate all the other shells into Mission. I'm sure they wanted to do this earlier on during previous transactions including Media General, but probably didn't wanted to deal with further hurdles/delays under Wheeler's FCC (if you remember his strict guidance on deals that involved sharing arrangements). And lets not forget the spectrum auction was going on at that same time frame as the MG deal. 

I get what you're saying....if the SSA/JSA has gone on this long, it could be carried on to Mission should that sale go through, plus getting all of the "shells" under a single owner.

Youngstown is just one of those places that could cut their presence by surrendering one of their FCC licenses, especially given the long-merged state of WKBN and WYTV going all the way back to New Vision and Parkin Television.

Dayton is another place where Vaughan and Nexstar share a single allocation (when WBDT's spectrum was auctioned and Nexstar holds the channel).

It's a moot point (unless Nexstar wants to shave off some market share), but it could save Nexstar some extra legwork if they didn't have to deal with an SSA partner in these places, since there's nothing really to stop them from dumping an FCC license, unless that triggers a complaint about competition?

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 1

So the Mission consolidation spree continues tonight..... with Super Towers' WNAC

At this point, seeing Vaughan & White Knight getting merged to Mission is inevitable. 

But what about KSHV? Since Mission is getting KMSS from Marshall, Mission can't acquire KSHV from White Knight. Unless Mission go for a failed waiver, but I don't think its a failed station.

31 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

But what about KSHV? Since Mission is getting KMSS from Marshall, Mission can't acquire KSHV from White Knight. Unless Mission go for a failed waiver, but I don't think its a failed station.

Maybe Nexstar proper can go for KSHV (with a failed waiver).

Nexstar's CBS station in Providence had dropped the "Eyewitness News" name for "12 News". And the station has a brand new set as well.

https://www.wpri.com/on-air/wpri-12-launches-12-news-now/

https://www.wpri.com/about-us/behind-the-scenes-look-at-the-new-wpri-12-news-studio/

Edited by TexasTVNews

1 hour ago, TexasTVNews said:

Nexstar's CBS station in Providence had dropped the "Eyewitness News" name for "12 News". And the station has a brand new set as well.

https://www.wpri.com/on-air/wpri-12-launches-12-news-now/

https://www.wpri.com/about-us/behind-the-scenes-look-at-the-new-wpri-12-news-studio/

There's an entire thread about this.

7 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

And what @LexTVandRadio mentioned on Tuesday, the WDKY deal was approved last Friday (9/4). 

Nexstar should own them within 30 days, right? Officially on closing day.

Can't wait to see curves go away, but who knows when Nexstar will give WDKY a new look. Took WKYT awhile to implement the current graphics. 

Edited by LexTVandRadio

4 minutes ago, LexTVandRadio said:

Can't wait to see curves go away, but who knows when Nexstar will give WDKY a new look. Took WDKY awhile to implement the current graphics. 

Nexstar has been pretty quick about changing things over lately. They’ll want that station to shed any Sinclair-isms stat. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, who?cares said:

Nexstar has been pretty quick about changing things over lately. They’ll want that station to shed any Sinclair-isms stat. 

Good! Can't blame them for that haha.   

They were supposed to get the new sinclair graphics back in the winter but then nexstar take over happened at the end of January so that cancelled that. 

On 9/2/2020 at 2:14 AM, ABC 7 Denver said:

Booo! Same crap that Sinclair was gonna pull with Tribune stations.

Well darn.....here I was hoping they would select someone else other than Nexstar to run their station🤣🤣

But really, should this be a surprise to anyone?  We saw this coming a mile away.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LexTVandRadio said:

Basically in any transaction, once they get the greenlight, they'll have 90 days to complete the sale. But they can file an "extension of consummation" to go another 90 days.

But I don't expect that to happen as I think the sale would be closed way before that, given that it's Nexstar.

But don't expect any on air cosmetic changes to happen on the day of closing (other than the Nexstar ID at the end).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hearing from friends at non-affiliated Nexstar stations (particularly WDVM) as well as some at Nexstar fox stations that the whole “no more CNN video” thing is an absolute shit show, as one could expect. They are literally having to take full screen video from tweets from reporters in other cities in some cases, since they have no VO for national stories.

• Like 2

On 9/10/2020 at 3:20 PM, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

Hearing from friends at non-affiliated Nexstar stations (particularly WDVM) as well as some at Nexstar fox stations that the whole “no more CNN video” thing is an absolute shit show, as one could expect. They are literally having to take full screen video from tweets from reporters in other cities in some cases, since they have no VO for national stories.

I wonder how FOX & FOX NEWS EDGE will retaliate against this when contracts come up for Nexstar FOX stations?    That will be interesting to see. I'll also be curious to see how much the national news picture will change on Nexstar stations now that they won't have access to FOX NEWS EDGE, NBC NEWS CHANNEL , ABC NEWS 1, CBS NEWS PATH, & CNN NEWS SOURCE--I'm guessing the viewers will eventually notice. 

This kind of thing has happened before, in the long ago days of CONUS, Florida News Network, and other regional or adhoc consortiums. They are a giant pain, but only until the suits are tired of their big bad bully struts.

This will last until there is one huge national breaking news story in a Nexstar market, and the networks are desperate for station video, and stations are desperate for network resources. Then they’ll all grit their teeth, come to some sort of “agreement”, and all get on with more mundane matters. Like logos and crawls.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 1:35 AM, DENDude said:

I wonder how FOX & FOX NEWS EDGE will retaliate against this when contracts come up for Nexstar FOX stations?    That will be interesting to see. I'll also be curious to see how much the national news picture will change on Nexstar stations now that they won't have access to FOX NEWS EDGE, NBC NEWS CHANNEL , ABC NEWS 1, CBS NEWS PATH, & CNN NEWS SOURCE--I'm guessing the viewers will eventually notice. 

Heh. When the CNN news came down, my boss said "Good. More local. More local."

• Like 2

Right after the Braves-Mets game ended I saw a promo on WJZY for their 10:00 news, about a “Moving Mayhem” feature they are doing on Monday and it said it was “Charlotte’s most watched 10:00 news.” Whaaaaaaaat? So it has passed WCCB AND WAXN at 10? 

Edited by Nelson R.

45 minutes ago, Nelson R. said:

Right after the Braves-Mets game ended I saw a promo on WJZY for their 10:00 news, about a “Moving Mayhem” feature they are doing on Monday and it said it was “Charlotte’s most watched 10:00 news.” Whaaaaaaaat? So it has passed WCCB AND WAXN at 10? 

Someone will have to check the ratings in Charlotte but from the sounds of things, apparently they have.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Nexstar has dropped another MeTV affiliate.

Syracuse's WSYR is replacing MeTV for its own classic diginet Antenna TV on channel 9.2.

The change goes in effect tomorrow (9/15).

Surprised they haven't done it for their other stations, as Nexstar did get Antenna TV with the Tribune purchase.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if Nexstar starts putting Antenna TV on all of their stations once the agreements with other owners run out (WTIC in Connecticut, for instance, may just lose it to WTNH once Bounce moves to WHPX). Heck, I'm pretty sure the only reason it's not on more Nexstar stations is because of affiliation agreements with other networks, like the Katz and Weigel networks (the former may not be as much of a problem for longer thanks to the Ion buyout).

• 24994J locked this topic
  • Weeters unlocked this topic