Nexstar...again

It looks like Nexstar is consolidating their master control hubs from around 17 to 5.☹️

I can see Spartanburg and Springfield, MA making the cut since they were already major hubs started under Media General and LIN.  Did Indianapolis have hubs for BOTH Tribune and through LIN/MG (when they had WISH?)

Dallas looks to be a new hub not far from their Irving HQ. and the Denver hub is probably the old Tribune one there.

Gone will likely be the Columbus, OH one started under Media General.  

I'm sure there a bunch of stations that have bounced from spoke, to independence, to hub, and back to spoke again through mergers and divestitures. 

WALA is one since it was a spoke in Emmis' ill-concieved hub, and later got a master control under LIN.  LIN eventually had some hub operations there until WALA was split to Meredith while Media General kept WFNA to merge with WKRG.  Meredith later hubbed WALA to their Atlanta hub out of WGCL.

Edited by tyrannical bastard

35 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

It looks like Nexstar is consolidating their master control hubs from around 17 to 5.☹️

I can see Spartanburg and Springfield, MA making the cut since they were already major hubs started under Media General and LIN.  Did Indianapolis have hubs for BOTH Tribune and through LIN/MG (when they had WISH?)

Dallas looks to be a new hub not far from their Irving HQ. and the Denver hub is probably the old Tribune one there.

Gone will likely be the Columbus, OH one started under Media General.  

I'm sure there a bunch of stations that have bounced from spoke, to independence, to hub, and back to spoke again through mergers and divestitures. 

WALA is one since it was a spoke in Emmis' ill-concieved hub, and later got a master control under LIN.  LIN eventually had some hub operations there until WALA was split to Meredith while Media General kept WFNA to merge with WKRG.  Meredith later hubbed WALA to their Atlanta hub out of WGCL.

Yes, WISH had the MG/LIN hub and WXIN had the Trib hub. 

• 4 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

This may not go so well...

As long as Nexstar is being truthful and not pulling any of the stunts Sinclair tried to pull off, they might be ok.

But anything is possible.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

As long as Nexstar is being truthful and not pulling any of the stunts Sinclair tried to pull off, they might be ok.

But anything is possible.

Yeah that's going to be challenging. They are going to have to really work for this.

Technically, what's to stop Nexstar from operating WPIX?  Mission will hold the license and programming, and that's the extent of FCC jurisdiction.   If there's some random UHF station that Nexstar wants to buy for "ATSC testing" or for some other purpose, then they can get that for half-credit.  Where does Nexstar stand on their cap at this point?

This is a one-off transaction, so even with how the Sinclair-Tribune deal fizzled, as long as it's Mission calling the shots and buying at fair market value, there shouldn't be a problem.

Sinclair failed miserably with "getting" WGN by finding one of their buddies to sell to, at a significant discount.

At stake is WPIX's carriage on YTTV (which was a group deal with Scripps for the other Tribune castoffs).  This would make it the lone CW affiliate carried by a Mission or Nexstar owned station.  Nexstar wasted no time in pulling WMYT from the Charlotte market (since FOX had it carried before).  Hopefully a larger deal emerges that includes all of their CW stations and WGN eventually.  This is a major hole in many markets.

The timing on this was likely deliberate to see the end result of the FCC's decisions on Sinclair.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

I’m pretty sure this will be scrutinized, especially if Nexstar intends to do a SSA AND a JSA. If Nexstar simply does a SSA and allows Mission to handle sales, it may go thru easier.

Even with the outsourcing, there is no reduction of competition in the New York area, since WPIX is still a unique voice and looks to be operated as such.  What's happened to (W)WOR in the past several decades is much worse, first to skirt around the RKO General scandal, and to gradually move operations back to NYC over time, making their efforts to serve New Jersey as a mere formality in their license.

And with the sales price, given the rank of WPIX (5th?) versus where WGN stands, the price may be fairer.  Fader wanted WGN for 60 million and Cunningham almost got WPIX for a mere 15 million.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

This was actually posted by WJZY. Ooops. Quickly deleted....

666F7A5B-F0CA-46F2-BB31-6E7FB67F8C8E.png

For those of you who haven't been keeping up with the NHL Restart, the Hurricanes defeated the Rangers while the Islanders defeated the Panthers in the Qualifying Round.

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, NEOMatrix said:

Only a matter of time until all of the ex-LIN shells go to Nexstar. Don’t be surprised if Vaughan is next.

.......Vaughan, Shield, White Knight. With Mission already getting Marshall & Tamer, they might as well scoop the remaining three. 

On 8/19/2020 at 12:23 AM, CircleSeven said:

.......Vaughan, Shield, White Knight. With Mission already getting Marshall & Tamer, they might as well scoop the remaining three. 

I wonder about Super Towers, the shell owned by the chief engineer at WPRI/WNAC that exists to hold the WNAC license. Given the grandfathered LMA status of WNAC, would Mission be able to take that on?

5 minutes ago, scrabbleship said:

I wonder about Super Towers, the shell owned by the chief engineer at WPRI/WNAC that exists to hold the WNAC license. Given the grandfathered LMA status of WNAC, would Mission be able to take that on?

I don't believe that would be possible.

54 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

I don't believe that would be possible.

WNAC has a pre-November 1996 Grandfathered LMA. That would most likely be honored should ownership/licensee changes hands from Super Towers to Mission.

Earlier this year in another deal, the FCC granted WMDN's application, which included 1995 Grandfathered LMA. WMDN has that LMA with WGBC (which was sold to Standard Media, which at this time is still yet to close).

Edited by CircleSeven

15 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Oh.... Vaughan could very well be next.......

But on the paperwork tonight, it's the Shield (WXXA & WLAJ) that's going to MIssion.

The fact that Mission is buying up all of these shell companies are leading me to believe that one of the things that @Myron Falwell had discussed on Discord in the past and is leading me to wonder this.

Is Nexstar preparing Mission to be its own full blown company (with no ties to Nexstar)? Are they turning Mission into a company where Mission enters markets Nexstar can't get in because of either overlap issues that would exist or because of the cap (as it was the case with the WPIX acquistiion)? Or is it something else?

I think there has to be a plan that Nexstar has drawn up not only for the future of the company itself but also for Mission as well because if they don't there's no way Mission is buying up the other Nexstar shells right now.

On 8/21/2020 at 12:51 AM, CircleSeven said:

Oh.... Vaughan could very well be next.......

In WYTV's case, they are the "host" for WKBN, since their spectrum went away in the spectrum auction.

What would be the collateral effects if either "WKBN" or "WYTV" turned in one of their licenses? WYFX is a non-factor, since they're low power.

All of the main streams of WKBN, WYTV and WYFX are on WYTV's full-power channel.  WYFX has an HD stream of 33.2 (SD on the full-power stick) and other diginets.

• 24994J locked this topic
  • Weeters unlocked this topic