Nexstar...again

14 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

And guess who's leading the massacre at WXIN/WTTV?

DOMINIC MANCUSO! The same GM that brought the beauty that was "Cleveland 19" to WOIO.

All I have to say is: Good luck!

Things like this make me seriously wonder what Tribune's game with WTTV was. It's like they never thought things through before triggering an affiliation swap that never should have been and has never been executed well. Nearly five years in as a CBS affiliate and what has WTTV really done to generate anything in the Indianapolis market? All I can think of was the stuff surrounding Nicole Pence and her goose had already been cooked back at WTHR even before family ties made her infamous.

At which point does Nexstar call it a day and go full WWJ there? Or would CBS not allow an affiliate to get away with that?

Edited by scrabbleship

22 minutes ago, scrabbleship said:

At which point does Nexstar call it a day and go full WWJ there? Or would CBS not allow an affiliate to get away with that?

More than likely, no. I don't think CBS would like the idea of having no news on an affiliate in market #28. Now, on the other hand, Nexstar does have WGNO in New Orleans, which has its well-documented issues. But I think WGNO's affiliation contract with ABC requires them to have local newscasts, whereas when KDNL in St. Louis (owned by Sinclair) closed their news department in 2001, their affiliation agreement with ABC didn't have such a requirement (and I don't believe it has one to this day).....

6 hours ago, scrabbleship said:

hings like this make me seriously wonder what Tribune's game with WTTV was. It's like they never thought things through before triggering an affiliation swap that never should have been and has never been executed well. Nearly five years in as a CBS affiliate and what has WTTV really done to generate anything in the Indianapolis market?

Well it wasn't so much that Tribune wanted the swap, it was CBS that wanted the swap. LIN was simply unwilling to pony up what CBS wanted WISH to pay, but Tribune was for WTTV, plain and simple. That's why MG made a deal so swap out NBC for CBS on WNCN, because Capitol balked at paying what CBS wanted for its programming on WRAL.

As far as news on WTTV? It helped that sister station WXIN has a news department, so Tribune can put newscasts for CBS4 together in a broom closet without spending boatloads of money.

Edited by NEOMatrix

15 hours ago, scrabbleship said:

Things like this make me seriously wonder what Tribune's game with WTTV was. It's like they never thought things through before triggering an affiliation swap that never should have been and has never been executed well. Nearly five years in as a CBS affiliate and what has WTTV really done to generate anything in the Indianapolis market? All I can think of was the stuff surrounding Nicole Pence and her goose had already been cooked back at WTHR even before family ties made her infamous.

Aren't they doing better than WISH?

15 hours ago, scrabbleship said:

What happened at WWJ?

18 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

What happened at WWJ?

Essentially what @scrabbleship is saying, is that WTTV would virtually not have a news department (except for maybe news simulcasts with WXIN but that'd be it) otherwise they'd be just like WWJ

Edited by oknewsguy

11 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

Essentially what @scrabbleship is saying, is that WTTV would virtually not have a news department (except for maybe news simulcasts with WXIN but that'd be it) otherwise they'd be just like WWJ

Isn't that what Nexstar does though? I mean, simulcast as many newscasts in duopolies at as many stations as they can? I wouldn't be surprised to see that at KWGN/KDVR. Fox 31 News on Channel 2, as well as significantly shrink the staff at KXRM and use most of the same team since a lot stories (politics, sports and weather) can/do come from Denver.

Edited by ABC 7 Denver

1 minute ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Isn't that what Nexstar does though? I mean, simulcast as many newscasts in duopolies at as many stations as they can? I wouldn't be surprised to see that at KWGN/KDVR. Fox 31 News on Channel 2, et al.

Wilkes-Barre/Scranton is a prime example of what simulcasting a newscast looks like for a junior partner (in this case it's WYOU ironically a CBS affiliate, most of their news comes from simulcasts with WBRE)

7 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

Wilkes-Barre/Scranton is a prime example of what simulcasting a newscast looks like for a junior partner (in this case it's WYOU ironically a CBS affiliate, most of their news comes from simulcasts with WBRE)

Exactly my expectation for KDVR-KWGN.

10 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Isn't that what Nexstar does though? I mean, simulcast as many newscasts in duopolies at as many stations as they can? I wouldn't be surprised to see that at KWGN/KDVR. Fox 31 News on Channel 2, as well as significantly shrink the staff at KXRM and use most of the same team since a lot stories (politics, sports and weather) can/do come from Denver.

Believe it or not, WBRE/WYOU is the only legacy Nexstar news operation takes the simulcast approach. And before you say KSNT/KTKA, that was done in the New Vision days and carried over into LIN, Media General, and now Nexstar. Most news ops like WKBN/WYTV, KODE/KSNF, KRBC/KTAB, etc actually air two SEPERATE newscasts but use the same reporters. Therefore, KWGN and KDVR could maintain seperate branding for a long, long time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

Believe it or not, WBRE/WYOU is the only legacy Nexstar news operation takes the simulcast approach. And before you say KSNT/KTKA, that was done in the New Vision days and carried over into LIN, Media General, and now Nexstar. Most news ops like WKBN/WYTV, KODE/KSNF, KRBC/KTAB, etc actually air two SEPERATE newscasts but use the same reporters. Therefore, KWGN and KDVR could maintain seperate branding for a long, long time.

And IIRC, that is what is currently done with WTTV and WXIN

Meanwhile the layoffs at Nexstar continue to pile up, this time around it's in Kansas City with WDAF.

10 people at WDAF including an Editor who has been on their morning newscast for years and reporter Ashonti Ford (who left the station late last month after joining WDAF this past August)

Hopefully @TheRob is okay and his position didn't get axed

Edited by oknewsguy
  • Sad 4

6 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

Meanwhile the layoffs at Nexstar continue to pile up, this time around it's in Kansas City with WDAF.

10 people at WDAF including an Editor who has been on their morning newscast for years and reporter Ashonti Ford (who left the station late last month after joining WDAF this past August)

Hopefully @TheRob is okay and his position didn't get axed

I'm still here. But if the company gives me my walking papers someday, I'll be fine for a while.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 12/13/2019 at 8:36 AM, scrabbleship said:

WTTV has actually made a lot of headway in the ratings by having name talent like Debby Knox and Chris Wright, both of whom from WISH. At last check, wasn’t WTTV like a strong 2nd in the market behind WTHR?

If anything Tribune made a GREAT call, especially by getting Debby out of retirement and hiring name people to head up CBS4. Also, extra newscasts = extra ad $$$.

Bottom line, I hope Nexstar leaves things largely alone there. WTTV/WXIN both have their own strong points, it would be a shame to see WTTV lose their status as a ratings contender, especially since they worked so hard in such a short amount of time to get to where they are.

3 hours ago, TheRob said:

I heard Nexstar is shutting down CLTV in Chicago. Hopefully some of those folks will be able to transfer seamlessly into WGN.

Robert Feder says CLTV is gone at the end of the month. A dozen folks will be kept and shift to WGN, while "four or five" will be cut. The memo from the GM says they plan to expand WGN's weekend morning news in Q1 2020, in addition to adding sports and politics programming.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/12/16/nexstar-media-pulling-plug-cltv-cable-news-channel/

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Greggo said:

Robert Feder says CLTV is gone at the end of the month. A dozen folks will be kept and shift to WGN, while "four or five" will be cut. The memo from the GM says they plan to expand WGN's weekend morning news in Q1 2020, in addition to adding sports and politics programming.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/12/16/nexstar-media-pulling-plug-cltv-cable-news-channel/

With CLTV apparently closing up shop, what will become of WGN America?

2 minutes ago, JCB4TV said:

With CLTV apparently closing up shop, what will become of WGN America?

They have absolutely nothing to do with one another, so this closure has no bearing. I'm sure they're still looking at their options with WGN America, which only has any chicago connection in name, alone.

On 4/3/2019 at 7:15 PM, CircleSeven said:

Nexstar is now involved in a new lawsuit, against one of its own sidecars. Marshall Broadcasting Group.

From the release:

On 4/3/2019 at 7:15 PM, CircleSeven said:

Since selling three television stations to Marshall Broadcasting Group (MBG) in 2014, Nexstar Broadcasting Inc. (Nexstar) has actively worked to undermine MBG and its stations, according to the lawsuit in the Supreme Court of the State of New York this morning. The suit seeks to make MBG whole from Nexstar's disingenuous and damaging actions – bringing to light Nexstar's effort to sabotage MBG's business and eventually buy back the stations for pennies on the dollar.

In 2014 Nexstar sold three stations (KPEJ-TV, KMSS-TV, KLJB-TV) to MBG. Nexstar was forced to sell the stations due to Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations and chose MBG as a buyer, believing that the FCC would look favorably upon MBG's status as a minority-owned business. While the FCC was led to believe that the sale would further the commission's objective of increasing ethnic diversity in ownership of broadcast stations, as soon as the arrangement was inked Nexstar sought to sabotage and undermine MBG's operations to decrease its worth.

"It has become clear that our only value to Nexstar was diversity optics at the FCC," said MBG president and CEO Pluria Marshall Jr. "Ever since the deal was signed, Nexstar has gone to great lengths to constantly interfere, undercut our authority and sabotage our business, with little regard for the agreements in place with us or the FCC."

Follow up. Marshall has now filed for Chapter 11.

Edited by CircleSeven

• 24994J locked this topic
  • Weeters unlocked this topic