Nexstar...again

36 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

Also since there is overlap in the coverage area of Northeast Alabama where DeKab and Jackson Counties in AL are officially assigned to Huntsville but can also pick up the Chattanooga stations both OTA as well as on Cable systems in that part of Northeast Alabama

2 hours ago, who?cares said:

If it’s big enough Huntsville will go. 

Very interesting.  I guess WHNT could be a good candidate for Nexstar to dispatch for major breaking news in Chattanooga because of their relatively close proximity to Chattanooga, if being in a different state & time zone isn't a factor.

I would just add this that I-75 makes Knoxville and Chattanooga very accessible to each other (except for the fact there is the risk of really bad fog at times on the roadway)...so I can see WATE being sent for coverage

Edited by TheRyan

10 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

Very interesting.  I guess WHNT could be a good candidate for Nexstar to dispatch for major breaking news in Chattanooga because of their relatively close proximity to Chattanooga, if being in a different state & time zone isn't a factor.

I would just add this that I-75 makes Knoxville and Chattanooga very accessible to each other (except for the fact there is the risk of really bad fog at times on the roadway)...so I can see WATE being sent for coverage

Huntsville is about 20 miles closer to Chattanooga than Knoxville is to Chattanooga. I know all of the Huntsville stations sent crews to Chattanooga for the 2016 school bus crash.

As it was also mentioned above parts of Northeast Alabama can easily access Chattanooga stations much easier than they can Huntsville (despite it being in the HSV DMA).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheRyan said:

I'm just guessing, but I suppose WATE would be the one.  Geographically speaking, it would make more sense if you're comparing Chattanooga to the nearest Nexstar station.  But WKRN could certainly pick up the story as well.

Kind of surprised Nexstar hasn't bought any station in Chattanooga, though.  It would make sense from their point of view.

Realistically speaking, Nexstar would have to purchase the assets of Morris Multimedia (owners of WDEF, a former Park/MG station pre-LIN merger) just to get into that market since Sinclair owns one station (WTVC) and manages two others (WDSI; WFLI), while Sarkes Tarzian (which Gray owns a partial stake in) owns the other (WRCB).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TennTV1983 said:

Realistically speaking, Nexstar would have to purchase the assets of Morris Multimedia (owners of WDEF, a former Park/MG station pre-LIN merger) just to get into that market since Sinclair owns one station (WTVC) and manages two others (WDSI; WFLI), while Sarkes Tarzian (which Gray owns a partial stake in) owns the other (WRCB).

Wait a minute...

Did I just read correctly that Gray owns a partial stake in Sarkes Tarzian?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

What happens when there are no sister stations in the market though? For example, if something happened in Chattanooga...it's the one Tennessee market that Nexstar is not in.

Well since it's the south"... they probably just find a willing cousin.

image.png.6068062c712017a3a8820de95ff86cfc.png

Edited by Eat News
Remembering Goo Hara-KARA's Greatest Hits .. https://youtu.be/nJgPrh-J4u8.
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

We're getting awfully Speculatron-y here...

1 hour ago, oknewsguy said:

Wait a minute...

Did I just read correctly that Gray owns a partial stake in Sarkes Tarzian?

Yep. Page 69, 2018 10-K:

Investments in Broadcasting and Technology Companies. We have an investment in Sarkes Tarzian, Inc. (“Tarzian”) whose principal business is the ownership and operation of two television stations. As of June 30, 2018, the most recent period for which we have Tarzian’s financial statements, our investment represented 32.4% of the total outstanding common stock of Tarzian (both in terms of the number of shares of common stock outstanding and in terms of voting rights), but such investment represented 67.9% of the equity of Tarzian for purposes of dividends, if paid, as well as distributions in the event of any liquidation, dissolution or other sale of Tarzian. We have no commitment to fund the operations of Tarzian nor do we have any representation on Tarzian’s board of directors or any other influence over Tarzian’s management.

In addition to WRCB and KTVN (and two KTVN translators), Sarkes Tarzian, Inc., continues to own radio holdings in Indiana: Bloomington (an AM and its translator, an FM and its separately programmed translator) and Fort Wayne (four stations).

Edited by Samantha

• 3 weeks later...

From FTVLive: 

Now, sources tell FTVLive that Sinclair backed the Pink Slip Express into former Tribune station KFOR and ran over about a dozen people.

Just two weeks before Christmas and your gift from Uncle Perry is a pink slip.

He wrote "Sinclair" in the story. I'm sure he meant Nextstar

Assuming that this is true and everything else, Sinclair at least in Oklahoma City (and potentially the state of Oklahoma itself) may very well be in even more hot water than what they already are with the whole lack of candor stuff because for one they don't own KFOR/KAUT and two, they DIRECTLY compete against KFOR/KAUT (via KOKH/KOCB)

Wouldn't be surprised to see lawsuits and investigations come from this IF this is accurate (and I generally take Scott's reports with a grain of salt)

This may be one of the big stories as we head into 2020 and IF true this won't be the end of the whole Sinclair/Nexstar monkey business in Oklahoma City.

Also FTVLive noted that Nexstar also yesterday, gave the axe at WGHP in the Triad and the Denver duopoly of KDVR and KWGN respectively.

Now that I think about it when I reread the article clearly it was a typo on Scott Jones' part (as usual), THIS is why whenever Scott reports on anything until reliable, credible sources confirms the story with substance, it must be taken with a grain of salt

Edited by oknewsguy
  • Like 1

In Your Corner is bank at KFOR! Meet the new IYC reporter Adam Sinder. There's no bio yet, and his first story just aired.

You can read & watch Adam's first story here, https://kfor.com/2019/12/11/notorious-roofers-in-bad-standing-with-state-continue-to-chase-down-payments/

Edited by JCB4TV
LINK

12 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

Assuming that this is true and everything else, Sinclair at least in Oklahoma City (and potentially the state of Oklahoma itself) may very well be in even more hot water than what they already are with the whole lack of candor stuff because for one they don't own KFOR/KAUT and two, they DIRECTLY compete against KFOR/KAUT (via KOKH/KOCB)

Wouldn't be surprised to see lawsuits and investigations come from this IF this is accurate (and I generally take Scott's reports with a grain of salt)

This may be one of the big stories as we head into 2020 and IF true this won't be the end of the whole Sinclair/Nexstar monkey business in Oklahoma City.

Also FTVLive noted that Nexstar also yesterday, gave the axe at WGHP in the Triad and the Denver duopoly of KDVR and KWGN respectively.

Now that I think about it when I reread the article clearly it was a typo on Scott Jones' part (as usual), THIS is why whenever Scott reports on anything until reliable, credible sources confirms the story with substance, it must be taken with a grain of salt

9 hours ago, edladd said:

I don't think Sinclair has anything to do with this.

It looks to me like a typo on FTVlive's part.  Hopefully FTVlive gets that typo fixed asap.

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

And guess who's leading the massacre at WXIN/WTTV?

DOMINIC MANCUSO! The same GM that brought the beauty that was "Cleveland 19" to WOIO.

All I have to say is: Good luck!

Edited by NEOMatrix
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NEOMatrix said:

And guess who's leading the massacre at WXIN/WTTV?

DOMINIC MANCUSO! The same GM that brought the beauty that was "Cleveland 19" to WOIO.

All I have to say is: Good luck!

Mancuso used to be the GM at WIVB/WNLO, I think.

Scott is a one man operation. I know there isn't any excuse for his grammar and spelling errors, but his reporting is usually spot on. Much more reliable than NewsBlues, which is a shell of its former self from the late 90s/early aughts.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AJClementeFan69 said:

What I find interesting is that it seems the cuts have so far haven't hit the more unionized ex-Trib stations. Haven't heard anything about WGN, KTLA, WDAF or KTVI. Could be just a coincidence though.

https://www.sagaftra.org/files/sa_documents/BroadcastStationListOCTOBER2019.pdf

I don't know about WGN or KTLA, but we cut some people (mostly part-timers), and I expect KTVI did too. Open positions aren't being filled either.

• Sad 1

• 24994J locked this topic
  • Weeters unlocked this topic