Nexstar...again

2 hours ago, TheRyan said:

Some markets can better justify it better than others.   In OKC and Tulsa, there is no doubt that it seems to be a vital part of their coverage on some of the stations.  Without it, KWTV/KOTV and KFOR would be forced to rely solely on chasers on the ground (which they also do) and maybe a camera on the transmitter tower (if they have one and if the storm is close enough).  The quality of their coverage is vastly improved by having a live chopper.  It gets more people to take shelter than it would by showing blurry livestreams and the radar.

I wonder how much they offset the cost by having those sponsorships (i.e. Bob Moore Chopper 4, etc.).     For the remainder, they probably just consider it the cost of doing business.

But I'm sure you're right about how much the chopper loses by being on the ground in the off-season.

If WAVY, DMA 42, is allowed to keep thier helicopter, KFOR, DMA 43, can keep theirs as well. If Nexstar cannnot handle it, sell.

Edited by JCB4TV
Clearity
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheRyan said:

Some markets can better justify it better than others.   In OKC and Tulsa, there is no doubt that it seems to be a vital part of their coverage on some of the stations.  Without it, KWTV/KOTV and KFOR would be forced to rely solely on chasers on the ground (which they also do) and maybe a camera on the transmitter tower (if they have one and if the storm is close enough).  The quality of their coverage is vastly improved by having a live chopper.  It gets more people to take shelter than it would by showing blurry livestreams and the radar.

I wonder how much they offset the cost by having those sponsorships (i.e. Bob Moore Chopper 4, etc.).     For the remainder, they probably just consider it the cost of doing business.

But I'm sure you're right about how much the chopper loses by being on the ground in the off-season.

Given the prominence of the helicopter in severe weather coverage AND the sponsorship, that sponsorship probably offsets the cost quite a bit.

I've watched tornado coverage on KFOR numerous times and they say "Bob Moore Chopper 4" like every 3 minutes. You NEVER hear a sponsorship uttered that many times on television newscasts. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Weeters said:

Given the prominence of the helicopter in severe weather coverage AND the sponsorship, that sponsorship probably offsets the cost quite a bit.

I've watched tornado coverage on KFOR numerous times and they say "Bob Moore Chopper 4" like every 3 minutes. You NEVER hear a sponsorship uttered that many times on television newscasts. 

Which that remains unchanged even now with KFOR's partnership with Air Comfort Solutions and it was the same amount of time that Mike Morgan mentioned "Air Comfort Solutions Chopper 4" as it was with "Bob Moore Chopper 4"

Ironically enough KFOR formed a partnership with the Bob Moore Auto Group for Chopper 4 when KFOR was owned by Local TV and they may have done so out of fear that KFOR would face the same demise that KDVR faced with SkyFox after KDVR was sold to Local TV (albeit KDVR's and KFOR's cases are 2 very different cases and are also two very different situations)

• Like 1

Seems like the KLAS grounding was a one-off. I think everyone was bracing for groundings at WFLA and WAVY that never came to pass.

I think if someone were to make a list of markets that have at least one helicopter, you'll see a dropoff at about market 40 or so. Vegas is right on that cusp.

Jacksonville probably only has two stations with choppers because both stations are owned by (for now) spendier companies. Norfolk has WAVY. You can probably justify having a chopper in Albuquerque because of the geographic size of the market, in the same way you can justify having a chopper in OKC because of weather.

In markets below 50 or so, they're virtually nonexistent. I can't think of a sub-50 market that currently has one outside of WBOC, which is truly the outlier of outliers.

Pre-recession, it was a different story. Much rarer, but a number of markets had them. Fort Myers, Lexington, Dayton, Des Moines, Jackson and South Bend come to mind. I'm sure I'm missing more. Those days are over. There's just not enough news or revenue to justify the enormous cost. In markets like LA, there still is. TL;DR, you're not going to see KTLA lose its chopper anytime soon.

Edited by AJClementeFan69
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AJClementeFan69 said:

Seems like the KLAS grounding was a one-off. I think everyone was bracing for groundings at WFLA and WAVY that never came to pass.

I think if someone were to make a list of markets that have at least one helicopter, you'll see a dropoff at about market 40 or so. Vegas is right on that cusp.

Jacksonville probably only has two stations with choppers because both stations are owned by (for now) spendier companies. Norfolk has WAVY. You can probably justify having a chopper in Albuquerque because of the geographic size of the market, in the same way you can justify having a chopper in OKC because of weather.

In markets below 50 or so, they're virtually nonexistent. I can't think of a sub-50 market that currently has one outside of WBOC, which is truly the outlier of outliers.

Pre-recession, it was a different story. Much rarer, but a number of markets had them. Fort Myers, Lexington, Dayton, Des Moines, Jackson and South Bend come to mind. I'm sure I'm missing more. Those days are over. There's just not enough news or revenue to justify the enormous cost. In markets like LA, there still is. TL;DR, you're not going to see KTLA lose its chopper anytime soon.

KOTV would like a word with you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Weeters said:

I saw a picture of their studio and underneath every confidence monitor there’s a large piece of paper making sure the talent remember it’s Air Comfort Solutions Chopper 4.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, rkolsen said:

I saw a picture of their studio and underneath every confidence monitor there’s a large piece of paper making sure the talent remember it’s Air Comfort Solutions Chopper 4.

This image is from the Instagram profile of Eli Roberts, who no longer needs to worry about this.

20 minutes ago, AJClementeFan69 said:

Isn't their chopper shared with KWTV or am I incorrect?

I'm sure they can coordinate with each other, if needed, especially if a storm is close to the edge of each other's market.  But each station has their own chopper, I think.

Here's an older picture of the choppers from both KWTV and KOTV.

7978546687_bf5a13154a_b.jpg

Edited by TheRyan
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

I'm sure they can coordinate with each other, if needed, especially if a storm is close to the edge of each other's market.  But each station has their own chopper, I think.

Here's an older picture of the choppers from both KWTV and KOTV.

7978546687_bf5a13154a_b.jpg

Yes both KWTV and KOTV have their own helicopters and they will share the copters when either one is down for maintenance and during severe weather coverage.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, AJClementeFan69 said:

Isn't their chopper shared with KWTV or am I incorrect?

Not neccesaily, both KWTV and KOTV have their own chopper but they will often times collaborate especially on a big severe weather day (Prime example would be May 20th of this year where litterally the entire storm chasing staff of KOTV including Osage SkyNews 6) came to my side of the state to cover what was supposed to be a big severe weather event but (fortunately) never materialized

Edited by oknewsguy
  • Like 1

Apparently KFOR still has the budget to send reporters out of state as Dylan Buckingham was sent to Morgantown, West Virginia to cover the Oklahoma State-West Virginia game. KFOR claims that they were the only OKC station to send a reporter to the game. 

https://kfor.com/2019/11/23/cowboys-lead-west-virginia-after-one-quarter/ 

You'll need to watch the video.20191124_042542000_iOS.thumb.png.3defd2051a8e7ec4cc5276efcb09abd9.png

• Like 1

If anything KFOR will benefit from Nexstar's vast resources of stations they own.  At big events (like the Super Bowl), they have a reporter (maybe multiple reporters) go to the event and have them file reports with various Nexstar stations.   They'll have many mic flags that they use in reports going to each Nexstar station.

So I think KFOR will see a combination of being able to use their reporters for long-distance reports that is specific to Oklahoma, and other cases where KFOR will have a reporter (perhaps from a different station) file a report but use KFOR's mic flag.

I think KFOR will be okay with Nexstar.  Let's be grateful that they didn't go to Tegna.

2 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

If anything KFOR will benefit from Nexstar's vast resources of stations they own.  At big events (like the Super Bowl), they have a reporter (maybe multiple reporters) go to the event and have them file reports with various Nexstar stations.   They'll have many mic flags that they use in reports going to each Nexstar station.

So I think KFOR will see a combination of being able to use their reporters for long-distance reports that is specific to Oklahoma, and other cases where KFOR will have a reporter (perhaps from a different station) file a report but use KFOR's mic flag.

I think KFOR will be okay with Nexstar.  Let's be grateful that they didn't go to Tegna.

I think KFDX must've collaborated with KFOR to cover the shooting at the Walmart in Duncan which KFOR DID send a reporter to Duncan (Stephens County, which is assigned to the Wichita Falls-Lawton DMA) and then perhaps the KFOR reporter filed the report for KFDX

Edited by oknewsguy
  • Like 1

Just now, oknewsguy said:

I think KFDX must've collaborated with KFOR to cover the shooting at the Walmart in Duncan which KFOR perhaps sent the reporter to Duncan and then perhaps they filed the report for KFDX

That happens a lot with various stations.    For instance, when I'm visiting Knoxville, I'll watch WATE's newscasts.   I notice a lot of collaboration on reports between them and WKRN--by that, I mean they'll carry a report originally for WKRN, if it's of any interest to Knoxville or the state at large.   I would expect that with other Nexstar stations as well.

Pretty soon my home market will have a Nexstar station...WJZY.  Given that we are a NFL market, I would expect them to share their reports with other Nexstar stations, and vice versa.

• Like 1

Most likely KFDX (and the other Nexstar stations throughout the Lone Star State) carry the original report from KXAN (Austin) and I imagine when they're covering issues affecting Oklahoma they'll use KFOR (same for KNWA, KSNF/KODE, KTAL and KAMR since their markets cover portions of Oklahoma)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheRyan said:

That happens a lot with various stations.    For instance, when I'm visiting Knoxville, I'll watch WATE's newscasts.   I notice a lot of collaboration on reports between them and WKRN--by that, I mean they'll carry a report originally for WKRN, if it's of any interest to Knoxville or the state at large.   I would expect that with other Nexstar stations as well.

Pretty soon my home market will have a Nexstar station...WJZY.  Given that we are a NFL market, I would expect them to share their reports with other Nexstar stations, and vice versa.

What happens when there are no sister stations in the market though? For example, if something happened in Chattanooga...it's the one Tennessee market that Nexstar is not in.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

What happens when there are no sister stations in the market though? For example, if something happened in Chattanooga...it's the one Tennessee market that Nexstar is not in.

I'm just guessing, but I suppose WATE would be the one.  Geographically speaking, it would make more sense if you're comparing Chattanooga to the nearest Nexstar station.  But WKRN could certainly pick up the story as well.

Kind of surprised Nexstar hasn't bought any station in Chattanooga, though.  It would make sense from their point of view.

Edited by TheRyan

4 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

I'm just guessing, but I suppose WATE would be the one.  Geographically speaking, it would make more sense if you're comparing Chattanooga to the nearest Nexstar station.  But WKRN could certainly pick up the story as well.

Kind of surprised Nexstar hasn't bought any station in Chattanooga, though.  It would make sense from their point of view.

If it’s big enough Huntsville will go. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, who?cares said:

If it’s big enough Huntsville will go. 

Also since there is overlap in the coverage area of Northeast Alabama where DeKab and Jackson Counties in AL are officially assigned to Huntsville but can also pick up the Chattanooga stations both OTA as well as on Cable systems in that part of Northeast Alabama

• Like 1

• 24994J locked this topic
  • Weeters unlocked this topic