Nexstar...again

20 minutes ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

So I'm trying to find if this was mentioned someplace, but I can't see anything so I'll post here...

A while back, there was a discussion about how WISH had dropped the 24-hour news moniker... Well it now looks like WOOD is now dropping it as well... While watching the news today I noticed the reporters are now signing off as "Reporter Name, News 8" instead of "Reporter Name, 24-hour News 8".  Now granted their LL Bean jackets still show 24-hour News 8, but I do believe that the 24-hour news moniker is now gone... I am sad 😞

That's really unfortunate.  As for the L.L. Bean jackets, I wouldn't be surprised if they keep using the existing "24-Hour News 8" logo on those until the next time they place a bulk order.

On 11/16/2019 at 12:53 AM, JCB4TV said:

It's nice that Nexstar appears to be allowing a former Tribune station to keep their bird. Does anyone know anything about Nexstar's helicopter policy?

I think Nexstar knows that it would be a really bad idea for them to dump their news helicopter in the #2 TV market in the country.   Notwithstanding what they did at KLAS, I would expect Nexstar to keep it at KTLA.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 11:53 PM, JCB4TV said:

It's nice that Nexstar appears to be allowing a former Tribune station to keep their bird. Does anyone know anything about Nexstar's helicopter policy?

1 hour ago, TheRyan said:

I think Nexstar knows that it would be a really bad idea for them to dump their news helicopter in the #2 TV market in the country.   Notwithstanding what they did at KLAS, I would expect Nexstar to keep it at KTLA.

Most likely the policy varies from station to station, for example KFOR has had the sponsor attached to the Chopper 4 name since the tail end of the Local TV era.

Because of that I expect KFOR to keep their bird, I know several ex-MG stations most notably WFLA and WAVY still have their birds.

• Like 1

Nick is a news/traffic anchor, not a meteorologist.

But gather 'round everyone, and let me tell you a story of the great mass email of 2019.

All of our email addresses end in fox4kc --dot--com. Most are firstname.lastname - at - fox 4 kcdotcom. The assignment desk has "news" at fox4kc-dot--com. But those are just shadow email addresses. Under Tribune, we were logging into computers, workday, outlook, etc., with (username #2) at tribunemedia-dot-com. This week Nexstar began migrating our accounts to its servers. Now we corporate accounts that are (username #3) at nexstar-dot-tv. Unbeknownst to us, news --at--nexstar dot-tv is a mass email to all the newsrooms. No one had ever told us that. When you combine a sleepy, medicated employee, some confusion that already existed over which username to use, and throw in another account name to remember, then I'm surprised this didn't happen earlier. Ironically, we never received the mass email, because Nexstar had not added the Tribune newsrooms to that group yet.

Basically what some of us are doing right now is:

1. Logging into computers using account #1 at tribunemedia...

2. Logging into outlook for email using account #2 at nexstar....

3. ...so that we can send emails using accounts that end in fox4kc dot-com....

4.. ...and some of us still have to log into the newsroom software using old wdaftv4--dot--com addresses.

I can keep it all straight, but some co-workers cannot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, TheRob said:

But gather 'round everyone, and let me tell you a story of the great mass email of 2019.

All of our email addresses end in fox4kc --dot--com. Most are firstname.lastname - at - fox 4 kcdotcom. The assignment desk has "news" at fox4kc-dot--com. But those are just shadow email addresses. Under Tribune, we were logging into computers, workday, outlook, etc., with (username #2) at tribunemedia-dot-com. This week Nexstar began migrating our accounts to its servers. Now we corporate accounts that are (username #3) at nexstar-dot-tv. Unbeknownst to us, news --at--nexstar dot-tv is a mass email to all the newsrooms. No one had ever told us that. When you combine a sleepy, medicated employee, some confusion that already existed over which username to use, and throw in another account name to remember, then I'm surprised this didn't happen earlier. Ironically, we never received the mass email, because Nexstar had not added the Tribune newsrooms to that group yet.

4.. ...and some of us still have to log into the newsroom software using old wdaftv4--dot--com addresses.

Jesus. As an IT admin, I both feel for y'all and am cringing at the same time.

At least y'all are on Office 365...I hope.

23 minutes ago, TheRob said:

Yes, we have Office 365.

By the way, the story is now in the Washington Post. The world needed an escape, I suppose. 😂

Very true.....

BTW, since you brought up Office 365, I do have a tech question I would like to ask (however corny it may sound):

When your station was owned by Tribune, did they make you fill out your time sheets electronically, or were they making employees fill out time sheets in paper form? I ask because when I was working at KADN (when it was owned by ComCorp) we had to fill out our time sheets on paper, and also, we had to put the time of our shifts in military time (e.g., 1500 to 2300 [3p-11p]), if you can believe that! (I can only go by my experience at KADN; I don't know how many, or if any, other ComCorp stations used paper time sheets.) After the sale to Nexstar, their manner of having employees filling out time sheets electronically (which I'm assuming is at every one of their stations) was a huge improvement!

Edited by J1975am

3 minutes ago, J1975am said:

Very true.....

BTW, since you brought up Office 365, I do have a tech question I would like to ask (however corny it may sound):

When your station was owned by Tribune, did they make you fill out your time sheets electronically, or were they making employees fill out time sheets in paper form? I ask because when I was working at KADN (when it was owned by ComCorp) we had to fill out our time sheets on paper, and also, we had to put the time of our shifts in military time (e.g., 1500 to 2300 [3p-11p]), if you can believe that! (I can only go by my experience at KADN; I don't know how many, or if any, other ComCorp stations used paper time sheets.) After the sale to Nexstar, their manner of having employees filling out time sheets electronically (which I'm assuming is at every one of their stations) was a huge improvement!

I don't fill out a time sheet, but those who do, they've been submitting them electronically since Tribune bought the station. I haven't sent in a paper time sheet in about a decade.

6 hours ago, TheRob said:

This is what I mean when people on here get all excited about new graphics or whatever when a company takes over a TV station.

Fixing this is way more important to a company than a graphics package or standardized set.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 10

9 hours ago, TheRob said:

That is really messed up. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheRob said:

Sounds like a recipe for something exactly like this to happen. 

That said, this story is a pleasant break from the rest of the news. Especially this week.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

Most likely the policy varies from station to station, for example KFOR has had the sponsor attached to the Chopper 4 name since the tail end of the Local TV era.

Because of that I expect KFOR to keep their bird, I know several ex-MG stations most notably WFLA and WAVY still have their birds.

They featured the WCMH Chopper 4 in a recent ad, for whatever that's worth.

21 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

There is no way KFOR will lose its helicopter.  It's a critical part of their storm coverage.  And I think Nexstar knows that they need the helicopter for tornado coverage and looking at the storm and see if the funnel cloud/tornado has touched down.    

I'm not sure why Nexstar got rid of KLAS' helicopter and I wish they hadn't.   But I don't think that will happen to other stations, especially KFOR and KTLA.

4 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

There is no way KFOR will lose its helicopter.  It's a critical part of their storm coverage.  And I think Nexstar knows that they need the helicopter for tornado coverage and looking at the storm and see if the funnel cloud/tornado has touched down. 

Exactly it'd be foolish if Nexstar got rid of Air Comfort Solutions Chopper 4 for those reasons you mentioned. I'm surprised in general that none of the other station groups in the state's 2 largest cities (especially Tulsa) have never invested into having a news helicopter.

7 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

Exactly it'd be foolish if Nexstar got rid of Air Comfort Solutions Chopper 4 for those reasons you mentioned. I'm surprised in general that none of the other station groups in the state's 2 largest cities (especially Tulsa) have never invested into having a news helicopter.

KTUL used to have a helicopter but since 2011 they haven't had one.  Why KJRH doesn't get a helicopter who knows as for KOKI Cox probably doesn't want to spend the money especially with the sell to Apollo.

• Like 1

Just now, ScottSchell said:

KTUL used to have a helicopter but since 2011 they haven't had one.  Why KJRH doesn't get a helicopter who knows as for KOKI Cox probably doesn't want to spend the money especially with the sell to Apollo.

Did KTUL ever utilized their Chopper for Severe Weather coverage? Because I know KOTV HEAVILY utilizes Osage SkyNews 6 for Severe Weather coverage

• Like 1

Just now, ScottSchell said:

Wow, I didn't know that.  I figured more stations in Tulsa would have helicopters.    That would probably partly explain why I tend to watch KOTV (online of course) when I'm interested in watching storm coverage there.

Just now, oknewsguy said:

Did KTUL ever utilized their Chopper for Severe Weather coverage? Because I know KOTV HEAVILY utilizes Osage SkyNews 6 for Severe Weather coverage

That I'm aware of they did use Ranger 8 helicopter for a few severe weather coverage towards the end of the usage of the helicopter.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ScottSchell said:

That I'm aware of they did use Ranger 8 helicopter for a few severe weather coverage towards the end of the usage of the helicopter.

BTW, KTUL brought back the Ranger 8 name recently, just not as a helicopter.

• Like 2

Helicopters are great tools, but they’re not cheap. A helicopter can cost a station up to two million dollars A YEAR. Most stations contract with one of the few big vendors to lease the helicopter, camera and microwave equipment, pilots and, in some cases, the chopper reporter. A lease usually includes a standard number of use ‘em or lose ‘em hours per month (which might not be as many as you might think), and then an added fee per hour over the included bundle. That over the top use could be around $700 an hour or more. Want a back-up bird while the chopper is in for maintenance? Want pilot coverage on weekends or for days longer than pilots are legally allowed to fly? Those are extra. The expense is why some stations end chopper use or sell sponsorships.

Also remember, when winds reach a certain level, or weather deteriorates, choppers don’t fly. They’re not airborne Hummers. They’re flying Toyotas.

in mid-sized markets like those in Oklahoma, the helicopter might be an important tool during severe weather season, but they are money suckers the rest of the year. If a station can’t draw a straight line between the annual expense and a multi-million dollar revenue advantage, a helicopter is a hard sell. If a new owner has added millions of dollars to leveraged debt to buy a station, the sell is even harder.

Edited by MetroCity
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/22/2019 at 8:12 AM, rkolsen said:

So on the Today Show they featured a meteorologist emailing a sick day. One problem he emailed it to the entire #NexstarNation people were using the #PrayersforNick and stations accounts would post get well soon. 

Here’s a FTVLive post.

17 hours ago, Mrtraveler01 said:

Sounds like a recipe for something exactly like this to happen. 

That said, this story is a pleasant break from the rest of the news. Especially this week.

Yeah I thought it was kinda funny myself! 😅

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MetroCity said:

Helicopters are great tools, but they’re not cheap. A helicopter can cost a station up to two million dollars A YEAR. Most stations contract with one of the few big vendors to lease the helicopter, camera and microwave equipment, pilots and, in some cases, the chopper reporter. A lease usually includes a standard number of use ‘em or lose ‘em hours per month (which might not be as many as you might think), and then an added fee per hour over the included bundle. That over the top use could be around $700 an hour or more. Want a back-up bird while the chopper is in for maintenance? Want pilot coverage on weekends or for days longer than pilots are legally allowed to fly? Those are extra. The expense is why some stations end chopper use or sell sponsorships.

Also remember, when winds reach a certain level, or weather deteriorates, choppers don’t fly. They’re not airborne Hummers. They’re flying Toyotas.

in mid-sized markets like those in Oklahoma, the helicopter might be an important tool during severe weather season, but they are money suckers the rest of the year. If a station can’t draw a straight line between the annual expense and a multi-million dollar revenue advantage, a helicopter is a hard sell. If a new owner has added millions of dollars to leveraged debt to buy a station, the sell is even harder.

Some markets can better justify it better than others.   In OKC and Tulsa, there is no doubt that it seems to be a vital part of their coverage on some of the stations.  Without it, KWTV/KOTV and KFOR would be forced to rely solely on chasers on the ground (which they also do) and maybe a camera on the transmitter tower (if they have one and if the storm is close enough).  The quality of their coverage is vastly improved by having a live chopper.  It gets more people to take shelter than it would by showing blurry livestreams and the radar.

I wonder how much they offset the cost by having those sponsorships (i.e. Bob Moore Chopper 4, etc.).     For the remainder, they probably just consider it the cost of doing business.

But I'm sure you're right about how much the chopper loses by being on the ground in the off-season.

Edited by TheRyan

• 24994J locked this topic
  • Weeters unlocked this topic