Nexstar...again

The switch to MeTV was pretty seamless on WBNS. At midnight, right in the middle of the intro to "Star Trek: Enterprise," the music stops and Perry Mason appears, already in progress. The PSIP still says "Heroes" on 10.2 but earlier today I noticed that it only said "4.2" on WCMH. Decades is still on 10.3. I didn't check to see if there is now a 10.4. I hope so.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Looks like Nexstar's happiness with WGN is sort of carrying over to WGN America.   I saw a WGN America promo on a legacy Nexstar station, so it looks like they've inherited that practice from Tribune...

1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

It's a long shot, but could they be rethinking their "local" philosophy? 

It wouldn't surprise me if it ends up being "Tribune acquires Nexstar" rather than the other way around.

In a way it looks like Tribune influence is overtaking Nexstar and in reality, it helps that several Tribune executives came on board with Nexstar after the merger.

6 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

In a way it looks like Tribune influence is overtaking Nexstar and in reality, it helps that several Tribune executives came on board with Nexstar after the merger.

Much like how several former LIN executives who had stayed on with Media General were able to influence Nexstar when it bought MG.

The growth of Nexstar has been more beneficial since it takes some good practices from the companies it acquires.   To a lesser extent, the same can be said with Gray buying Raycom.

Then there's Sinclair, running things their way.   I'm sure if they succeded with the Tribune buy, Boris and the Terrorism Alert Desk would have been running in a week....

5 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

It's a long shot, but could they be rethinking their "local" philosophy? 

What is wrong with their LOCAL philosophy? It is what times a community to an asset when there is so much noise on cable, this phone I am typing on, etc

On 10/29/2019 at 4:25 PM, Sendir said:

What is wrong with their LOCAL philosophy? It is what times a community to an asset when there is so much noise on cable, this phone I am typing on, etc

For Companies like Capitol (WRAL/Z, WILM) and Griffin (KWTV+/KOTV+) localism works great for the 7 aforementioned stations.

In the case of Nexstar, localism works great in some places but in other places it just doesn't work that way. It just depends on how the media market looks like with the ownership groups that are in those markets.

On 10/29/2019 at 4:25 PM, Sendir said:

Nothing at all. Local is good. I was just making a shot in the dark here.

On 10/29/2019 at 11:16 AM, mposeymil said:

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2019/10/29/nexstar-happy-with-wgn-not-so-much-with-ktla

Could be a shakeup at KTLA coming, with the first shoe obviously being Don Corsini's retirement, as mentioned in the LA forum. They are pleasantly surprised (thankfully) at WGN on the other hand.

A shakeup? I didn't think KTLA was doing THAT bad. Sure it's probably getting beat by KCAL, but last I checked, 5 was beating KTTV in most timeslots.

I don't think KTLA is getting beat by KCAL. It would have to be a cold day in hell for that to happen. They boast being #1 from 4-12pm. #1 at 1pm (no other local news). #1 at 3pm (competition with KABC's 30min show) and #1 at 10pm (competition with KTTV and KCAL). Their only other time slots where they aren't #1 would be 6pm and 11pm. KABC and KVEA I would assume are top dogs there.

Nexstar Media Group Enters into De-Leveraging Buy/Sell Agreements with Fox Television Stations. Nexstar to Purchase Charlotte’s FOX and MyNetworkTV Affiliates for Approximately $45 Million and Divest Seattle’s FOX andMyNetworkTV Affiliates and Milwaukee’s FOX Affiliate for Approximately $350 Million.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Sendir said:

Nexstar Media Group Enters into De-Leveraging Buy/Sell Agreements with Fox Television Stations. Nexstar to Purchase Charlotte’s FOX and MyNetworkTV Affiliates for Approximately $45 Million and Divest Seattle’s FOX andMyNetworkTV Affiliates and Milwaukee’s FOX Affiliate for Approximately $350 Million.

The Charlotte stations being sold is a mild surprise. Not so much WITI (previously a FOX O&O following the absorption of New World Communications until it and several other smaller O&O's were sold) or the KCPQ/KZJO duopoly (FOX apparently has been eyeing them for years going back at least to 2014 {with the reverse compensation dispute that saw FOX threatening to pull their affiliation, which would have ended the day before the 2014 NFC Championship Game})

• Concerned 1

7 hours ago, WAVY 10 Fan said:

The Charlotte stations being sold is a mild surprise. Not so much WITI (previously a FOX O&O following the absorption of New World Communications until it and several other smaller O&O's were sold) or the KCPQ/KZJO duopoly (FOX apparently has been eyeing them for years going back at least to 2014 {with the reverse compensation dispute that saw FOX threatening to pull their affiliation, which would have ended the day before the 2014 NFC Championship Game})

From what I've heard, WJZY as a Fox O&O has been nothing but a disappointment, so I doubt Fox is all that sad to see it go, even if it is an NFC market.

On 10/31/2019 at 1:08 PM, NEOMatrix said:

A shakeup? I didn't think KTLA was doing THAT bad. Sure it's probably getting beat by KCAL, but last I checked, 5 was beating KTTV in most timeslots.

What I gather from the article is that their back of office/management is probably sloppy compared to how Nexstar runs things. I think KTLA had a lot of autonomy in how management ran the station and probably that was the case at most Tribune stations.  Nexstar appears to run a much tighter ship with many corporate policies. My assumption is that KTLA probably has lax policies that Nexstar thinks need to be tightened.  KTLA's on-air product isn't the issue as they have solid #1 ratings in almost all of their timeslots. I wouldn't expect a shakeup in talent as its currently stable and is working. The shakeup will come in the form of management.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MadMan400096 said:

From what I've heard, WJZY as a Fox O&O has been nothing but a disappointment, so I doubt Fox is all that sad to see it go, even if it is an NFC market.

It's a good fixer upper for Nexstar since FOX put so little into launching it.   

But given Seattle, it wouldn't surprise me to see FOX re-enter the market years later by purchasing....wait for it.....WCCB and reverse the move they made 6 years ago.....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, fan of la tv said:

What I gather from the article is that their back of office/management is probably sloppy compared to how Nexstar runs things. I think KTLA had a lot of autonomy in how management ran the station and probably that was the case at most Tribune stations.  Nexstar appears to run a much tighter ship with many corporate policies. My assumption is that KTLA probably has lax policies that Nexstar thinks need to be tightened.  KTLA's on-air product isn't the issue as they have solid #1 ratings in almost all of their timeslots. I wouldn't expect a shakeup in talent as its currently stable and is working. The shakeup will come in the form of management.

I think that's accurate. Tribune had a build it/break it attitude. Nexstar strikes me so far as much more like a corporation, conservative but strategic, placing value in documentation and accounting for every penny. I also suspect Nexstar and Los Angeles will clash more often in the future.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, TheRob said:

Tribune had a build it/break it attitude. Nexstar strikes me so far as much more like a corporation, conservative but strategic, placing value in documentation and accounting for every penny. I also suspect Nexstar and Los Angeles will clash more often in the future.

I will up that $100, and say that Nexstar and Hollywood are about to hit 'head -on" in the middle of Sunset Boulevard...

"Oh The Humanity!"

Edited by Eat News
PSA - Boobs .. https://youtu.be/x_Sh9kNI0dI
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

So I'm trying to find if this was mentioned someplace, but I can't see anything so I'll post here...

A while back, there was a discussion about how WISH had dropped the 24-hour news moniker... Well it now looks like WOOD is now dropping it as well... While watching the news today I noticed the reporters are now signing off as "Reporter Name, News 8" instead of "Reporter Name, 24-hour News 8".  Now granted their LL Bean jackets still show 24-hour News 8, but I do believe that the 24-hour news moniker is now gone... I am sad 😞

• Like 2

• 24994J locked this topic
  • Weeters unlocked this topic