Nexstar...again

6 minutes ago, Samantha said:

Hey, I know that this topic can often stray into the political, but the political opinions that result often can become germane to the topic at hand.

Agreed. In fact, I see this thread shut down if it doesn't stop. Let's get back on topic, people!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Agreed. In fact, I see this thread shut down if it doesn't stop. Let's get back on topic, people!

It's not a political discussion Roly.

It's a discussion about the broadcasting of the national anthem, and the history behind it.

The fact that a station owner or group chooses to play the national anthem DOES NOT  make that group or owners automatically part of any one political party or belief.

Nothing wrong with showing we are all proud Americans.

If Roly wants to decide what threads should be locked, then he should apply to be a moderator.

Edited by Eat News
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Eat News said:

It's not a political discussion Roly.

It's a discussion about the broadcasting of the national anthem, and the history behind it.

The fact that a station owner or group chooses to play the national anthem DOES NOT  make that group or owners automatically part of any one political party or belief.

Nothing wrong with showing we are all proud Americans.

If Roly wants to decide what threads should be locked, then he should apply to be a moderator.

The post that I removed very much veered into the political realm.

• Like 5

The anthem isn't the problem.  It's how OTHERS have polarized it and used it as a tool to test one's "America-ness."  That's a right that NO ONE can take away from anyone.  EVER.

We live in a country where we are free to be patriotic and free to question the powers that be for what they are doing.  All this noise is simply because the ideals our country was founded on are alive and well.

And it should be pointed out that a certain other company that works the flag into their graphics and ladens their news product with propaganda hasn't picked up on this proud American broadcast tradition.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

The anthem isn't the problem.  It's how OTHERS have polarized it and used it as a tool to test one's "America-ness."  That's a right that NO ONE can take away from anyone.  EVER.

We live in a country where we are free to be patriotic and free to question the powers that be for what they are doing.  All this noise is simply because the ideals our country was founded on are alive and well.

And it should be pointed out that a certain other company that works the flag into their graphics and ladens their news product with propaganda hasn't picked up on this proud American broadcast tradition.

SINCLAIR HATES AMERICA?!?!?!

Buncha Commies. :classic_wink:

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Sinclair already did their contribution to patriotism with the flag graphics. They don’t have the extra money to do the anthem like Gray, CBS, and Nexstar are doing.

• Haha 1

I kinda feel like this discussion over the National Anthem should be moved over into its own thread. With that being said, I don't see why restarting that tradition should be treated as such a big deal. I mean TV stations had been doing that stuff for years before daily sign-offs became a thing of the past. At least with what Gray has done is make their version tasteful enough to recognize all of the things that make America a special and diverse place.

I still remember when stations were playing this version by the Air Force back in the day:

14 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

Sinclair already did their contribution to patriotism with the flag graphics. They don’t have the extra money to do the anthem like Gray, CBS, and Nexstar are doing.

In other words, they are too cheap to pony up the airtime.  Even the classic versions should very much in the public domain especially if they were produced by the military or for the government for public service use.

16 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

Some individual stations do play the ancient Air Force film on transmitter maintenance/Sunday nights; usually it's just replacing an Ad Council message, so there doesn't seem to be a universal anthem policy there.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

Slightly off-topic:

Nexstar is dropping the very popular MeTV from WCMH 4.2? What gives? Or are they going to replace with Antenna TV (which sucks)?

Makes me wonder if they are going to drop it on their other stations acquired from Media General.  And it makes more sense since Antenna TV will soon be owned by Nexstar when the Tribune deal closes.

Many of these MeTV affiliations stem from a deal that replaced RTN (later RTV and now RetroTV) in 2011 after Luken lost virtually all of their programming to MeTV and Antenna.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 1

Nexstar is also dropping MeTV on Nashville's WKRN 2.2. They're replacing it for Bounce TV. With MeTV moving to HC2-owned WJFB 44.1.

3 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

Slightly off-topic:

Nexstar is dropping the very popular MeTV from WCMH 4.2? What gives? Or are they going to replace with Antenna TV (which sucks)?

WCMH is replacing MeTV for CourtTV.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

WCMH is replacing MeTV for CourtTV.

I wonder if that's just an interim move until Antenna TV's deal expires with WSYX. I also wonder what's behind this. I doubt Court TVs going to be as popular as MeTV or do they even care? Is it all about who pays the most to lease the channel?

In Mobile, MeTV has been on 5.3 since 2011 (it was RTN/RTV before).  Nexstar signed on a duplicate "Laff" affiliation on 5.4 (since WALA already had it on 10.3), and Court TV replaced Laff on WKRG 5.4.

Antenna TV has been on a station with a questionable on-air signal (WPAN-TV).  Wouldn't surprise me if Nexstar pulls the plug on that and puts it on one of their area stations instead.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DesertNewsGeek said:

MeTV is moving to WBNS 10.2.

"MeTV will air on WBNS-TV over the air channel 10.2 Spectrum Channels, 986, 142, 1141, 187, WOW Ch. 112, Frontier Ch. 60, Horizon View Ch. 13, Sycamore Telephone Ch. 17"

All those extra channels listed make me wonder if MeTV was the one that dumped Nexstar.

50 minutes ago, channel2 said:

Is Weigel having beef with them?

I don't neccesarily think that Weigel is beefing with Nexstar in any manner. If anything, they probably know that Nexstar bought Antenna TV as part of the merger with Tribune and Nexstar will likely convert most of their stations that aren't already affiliated with the network into one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

Looks like WFLA is also dropping MeTV as well. It's going to Hearst's WMOR.

No word from Channel 8 on what will occupy that 8.2 allotment.

I'm surprised Nexstar didn't drop MeTV in Vegas (KLAS).........

It appears it's just the former MG stations that are affected for now.

• 24994J locked this topic
  • Weeters unlocked this topic