Nexstar...again

Nexstar is now involved in a new lawsuit, against one of its own sidecars. Marshall Broadcasting Group.

From the release:

Since selling three television stations to Marshall Broadcasting Group (MBG) in 2014, Nexstar Broadcasting Inc. (Nexstar) has actively worked to undermine MBG and its stations, according to the lawsuit in the Supreme Court of the State of New York this morning. The suit seeks to make MBG whole from Nexstar's disingenuous and damaging actions – bringing to light Nexstar's effort to sabotage MBG's business and eventually buy back the stations for pennies on the dollar.

In 2014 Nexstar sold three stations (KPEJ-TV, KMSS-TV, KLJB-TV) to MBG. Nexstar was forced to sell the stations due to Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations and chose MBG as a buyer, believing that the FCC would look favorably upon MBG's status as a minority-owned business. While the FCC was led to believe that the sale would further the commission's objective of increasing ethnic diversity in ownership of broadcast stations, as soon as the arrangement was inked Nexstar sought to sabotage and undermine MBG's operations to decrease its worth.

"It has become clear that our only value to Nexstar was diversity optics at the FCC," said MBG president and CEO Pluria Marshall Jr. "Ever since the deal was signed, Nexstar has gone to great lengths to constantly interfere, undercut our authority and sabotage our business, with little regard for the agreements in place with us or the FCC."

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, JCB4TV said:

Website updates:

WANE

KSNW

WWLP

KXMB

WCMH

WPRI

And WCMH has never gotten rid of the NBCi name YEARS after NBC sold them to Media General, is there some sort of a clause that has carried over to Nexstar that prevents WCMH from changing the name of the website even if they wanted to?

6 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

And WCMH has never gotten rid of the NBCi name YEARS after NBC sold them to Media General, is there some sort of a clause that has carried over to Nexstar that prevents WCMH from changing the name of the website even if they wanted to?

The "NBC4i.com" URL must have really taken off in the Columbus area -- wcmh.com and nbc4columbus.com both redirect to it.

Just now, mre29 said:

The "NBC4i.com" URL must have really taken off in the Columbus area -- wcmh.com and nbc4columbus.com both redirect to it.

So I guess there is no clause and WCMH just likes to use that name so much they don't want to change it

Wasn't there some kind of lawsuit over the web address when NBC sold to Media General?

NBC4i.com rolls off much better than NBC4Columbus.com.   WRC already had NBC4.com in the bag.

All I know is I'm forever grateful that Nexstar stopped changing the names of their websites to what they had been doing (CrappyLocalProud.com)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

They could call it "columbus4.com" (since CMH is the Columbus airport code for those who don't know), but you'd be surprised how many people will botch the spelling of Columbus. 

NBC4i is easy and if you have an easy domain name, you keep it. 

By my rough count, we would have to reassign around three more people to achieve that digital-first mantra. We already have a lot of people who are titled "multi-platform" and report to the digital content manager. I could see it being difficult for those mid-market stations that produce a lot of news, but don't have the resources to devote to a lot of web content.

Personally I would start at ten percent and maybe assign a different reporter each day to be the "digital reporter of the day."

Edited by TheRob

WJET here in Erie has revamped their website, and posted a job opening for a Digital Multi Media Journalist to "focus exclusively on reporting for our local digital platforms."  The job description also mentions things like original video, stories, etc.

https://www.yourerie.com

Edited by jbnews

• 24994J locked this topic
  • Weeters unlocked this topic