Nexstar...again

Media General was hit hard by the recession of 2008-09 when they were still a small ownership group (even by 2008 standards...maybe 14 stations?) Most of that was due to them holding onto unprofitable small market newspapers in the south for too long.

1 hour ago, mre29 said:

I seem to recall that Media General was making a lot of its own mistakes pre-LIN. Would that Media General have improved Nexstar as much as MG/LIN has?

Did Media General make its stations use names like centralohiomatters.com or some crap like that? No they did not. Each group makes mistakes there human just like anyone of us here are, even you and I make our own mistakes too. Nobody's perfect, not even the best TV groups with well-run management are perfect either.

19 hours ago, kmetz said:

My guess is, it's all managed by lakana. I could be wrong but the login pages for publishing are all StationID.lakana.com 

It's clear as day here in the footer 😛

Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 5.23.11 PM.png

For the front-end website publishing it is handled by Lakana and they are more than likely using AWS. In that case, it is more important for them to be at near 100% uptime. I am assuming that Nexstar probably is working towards enterprising their backend IT infrastructure including Virtualization (like station operations/DCs/Exchange Servers/i.e.)

43 minutes ago, bhratbrat said:

For the front-end website publishing it is handled by Lakana and they are more than likely using AWS. In that case, it is more important for them to be at near 100% uptime. I am assuming that Nexstar probably is working towards enterprising their backend IT infrastructure including Virtualization (like station operations/DCs/Exchange Servers/i.e.)

During parkland, Local Media Sites especially WSVN couldn't handle the traffic. WordPress VIP fell FLAT. 

For the past few weeks, WATE-TV in Knoxville has been broadcasting from its newsroom, because WATE will be getting a new set along with new graphics. Although I have not seen any sneak peeks about it on TV, it will be interesting to see what the new set will look like when it is finished.

4 hours ago, NateinFLA said:

No worries at this Nexstar station WGN in Chicago...

They just get the morning news team to help out in the effort....

A "MoooooVing Experience"...

image.png.a75535204edfa533466543818a1be730.png

Edited by Eat News
Yes...they have Tuk-Tuks in Chicago now...really....I swear.

4 hours ago, KnoxvilleTVFan said:

For the past few weeks, WATE-TV in Knoxville has been broadcasting from its newsroom, because WATE will be getting a new set along with new graphics. Although I have not seen any sneak peeks about it on TV, it will be interesting to see what the new set will look like when it is finished.

One of two options: the Dalek Desk or the WISH-TV Special.

17 hours ago, TennTV1983 said:

One of two options: the Dalek Desk or the WISH-TV Special.

I'm going WISH special. Dating back to the latter Young days, WATE has usually been in step with WTEN and WTEN's on deck for a refresh too.

I wonder what might happen with WRIC now. IIRC Media General did nothing with them during their ownership.

3 hours ago, scrabbleship said:

I wonder what might happen with WRIC now. IIRC Media General did nothing with them during their ownership.

They DID give them a fresh new look almost three years ago and boy, do they need it (I live in the Richmond area, BTW). WRIC's current set - that was built by FX Design Group - has been around since 2016, debuted a new logo, dropped 615 Music's "Battery V.4" (aka "Always Worth Your Time") for Stephen Arnold's "Guardian" package and replaced the old Young graphics with the KOIN6 graphics. WRIC's set took top honors in NewscastStudio.com's 2016 Set of the Year - Fan Vote, and it was head-to-head against the set of - wait for it - VH1's "Martha & Snoop's Potluck Dinner Party". Not kidding. Fast forward to late last year (Nexstar era), WRIC has a new branding - "ABC 8", dropping the longtime brand of "TV-8" - and just a few months ago, WRIC has a new voiceover: Paul Turner. 

Edited by tw-804
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

It's behind a paywall, but this is interesting.

"Nexstar talked about a new digital publishing and software service that they were launching called Lakana.

Nexstar was hoping that Lakana would help them capitalize on the growing demand in digital publishing services and the system would be used across all the Nexstar stations to post stories and information to the stations websites. 

[...] But now, sources tell FTVLive that after a number of problems, Nexstar is doing way with Lakana at most of their stations and switching over to Wordpress. 

The Tribune stations use a form of Wordpress and while looking at it on their sites, the Nexstar suits thought that was the route to go. 

Most of the Nexstar stations will be making the switch to Wordpress on their station's websites. It is a big undertaking, but Wordpress is used by millions of websites and seems to be much more stable than Lakana. 

Nexstar's KXAN has made the switch, you can check out the new look at their website.  

Nexstar is moving away from a company that they own and in this case it is a wise move making the switch to Wordpress."

1 hour ago, 24994J said:

"Nexstar talked about a new digital publishing and software service that they were launching called Lakana.

Nexstar was hoping that Lakana would help them capitalize on the growing demand in digital publishing services and the system would be used across all the Nexstar stations to post stories and information to the stations websites. 

[...] But now, sources tell FTVLive that after a number of problems, Nexstar is doing way with Lakana at most of their stations and switching over to Wordpress. 

The Tribune stations use a form of Wordpress and while looking at it on their sites, the Nexstar suits thought that was the route to go. 

Most of the Nexstar stations will be making the switch to Wordpress on their station's websites. It is a big undertaking, but Wordpress is used by millions of websites and seems to be much more stable than Lakana. 

Nexstar's KXAN has made the switch, you can check out the new look at their website.  

Nexstar is moving away from a company that they own and in this case it is a wise move making the switch to Wordpress."

So roughly the ex-Media General (and ex-ex-LIN) stations left Wordpress...only to go back to Wordpress.

Who would be left on Lakana then? Graham and the Fox O&O's? Does Nexstar spin this to Graham to cut their losses given Graham's loyalty to Lakana dating back to the earliest days of Internet Broadcasting?

14 minutes ago, scrabbleship said:

So roughly the ex-Media General (and ex-ex-LIN) stations left Wordpress...only to go back to Wordpress.

Who would be left on Lakana then? Graham and the Fox O&O's? Does Nexstar spin this to Graham to cut their losses given Graham's loyalty to Lakana dating back to the earliest days of Internet Broadcasting?

Many others use Lakana though as well. 

https://www.lakana.com/clients.html

Wonder if we could see them also switching to WP?

On 3/26/2019 at 11:09 AM, kmetz said:

Many others use Lakana though as well. 

https://www.lakana.com/clients.html

Wonder if we could see them also switching to WP?

Keep in mind just because a company logo is one there, that doesn't mean all the stations owned by that group use Lakana, or ever did. For example, Tegna has their own "Tegna One" CMS platform, though I don't know how many of their stations use it.

While watching WATE's 4pm newscast on my iPhone via the WATE news app, I took a screenshot. The bottom of the screen shows WATE's current graphics while the TV screen where Matt Hinkin is standing at is showing WATE's new graphics (?). Only time will tell, because WATE's new set is debuting very soon. I'll share some screenshots once it happens.

FullSizeRender.jpg

• 24994J locked this topic
  • Weeters unlocked this topic