Nexstar...again

18 hours ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

The fourth girl in the front is covering it with her hand... it's just the big 8 with woodtv.com in white on the corners... Very similar to sister station WLNS.. theirs is a big 6 with wlns.com in white in the corners

That's rather interesting, even though I don't live stream newscasts. Still, that's rather interesting

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

Is Nexstar rolling out a different format website layout??

Check out KXAN's site -- totally different than other sites... I rather like it myself...

It's nice to see that Nexstar has apparently hired, apparently, someone who stayed awake in their webpage design class. As for me personally, living on Oklahoma, it will be a better pill to sallow when KFOR joins Nexstar and migrates to the new platform.

9 hours ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

Check out KXAN's site -- totally different than other sites... I rather like it myself...

I just checked KETK's and KAMR's sites, and it must be a thing.  No change in the dumb website domain names, though.

1 hour ago, atlnews2 said:

KLAS has the new website (same name  unfortunately)

KTVX and WCIA still have the old site, but have dropped the stupid nexstar names.

That's false apparently. I just checked LasVegasNOW.com and its still the same as those two other sites.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2019 at 7:59 PM, JCB4TV said:

It's nice to see that Nexstar has apparently hired, apparently, someone who stayed awake in their webpage design class. As for me personally, living on Oklahoma, it will be a better pill to sallow when KFOR joins Nexstar and migrates to the new platform.

Given that KXAN was LIN's guinea pig because they were across the street from the interactive team, KXAN being the first station to roll out a Nexstar design almost makes me wonder if they've somehow survived two mergers to become Nexstar's web team.

3 hours ago, djlynch said:

Given that KXAN was LIN's guinea pig because they were across the street from the interactive team, KXAN being the first station to roll out a Nexstar design almost makes me wonder if they've somehow survived two mergers to become Nexstar's web team.

Being close to Nexstar's corporate headquarters in Irving helps.

11 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

Even though 36 is with Nexstar, you don't see KXAN as an NBC O&O?

No way. KXAN is important to Nexstar for several reasons. It's home to Nexstar's Texas capitol bureau team. Nexstar also airs KXAN's weekly political show on all its Texas stations. And corporate leans on the management at KXAN pretty heavily for assistance in a variety of matters (including production assistance for statewide debates, their regional New Year's Eve special broadcast live from Dallas, etc.) since it's their biggest station in the state ... for now, at least.

More important than all that, though, Nexstar has revived plans -- shelved long ago by previous owner, LIN -- to construct a new building for KXAN (NBC) and sister stations KNVA (CW) and KBVO (MyNetworkTV). It's still in the early stages at this point. Right now they are crammed into buildings on opposite sides of a busy street. It's not unusual to see employees sprint across MLK Blvd. in between the cars. Super safe. Anyway, if Nexstar was looking to unload KXAN, why would they waste millions on a new building? Leave that for the new owner.

• 2 weeks later...

Semi-related, but how is Nexstar right now? On another thread, someone said Nexstar has gotten way, way better lately and is now better than even TEGNA and Scripps. Really? They are a huge mega group that had lots of layoffs and took away cell phones and credit cards from employees. Not to mention not-so-great looking logos that in certain cases replace superior-looking logos. They cut so costs so much that to me, at least, TEGNA and Scripps in their current forms are better. Let's not even get started on what happened at WHTM lately that made an already bad station even worse.

Edited by Conrad

4 hours ago, Conrad said:

Semi-related, but how is Nexstar right now? On another thread, someone said Nexstar has gotten way, way better lately and is now better than even TEGNA and Scripps. Really? They are a huge mega group that had lots of layoffs and took away cell phones and credit cards from employees. Not to mention not-so-great looking logos that in certain cases replace superior-looking logos. They cut so costs so much that to me, at least, TEGNA and Scripps in their current forms are better. Let's not even get started on what happened at WHTM lately that made an already bad station even worse.

Here's the deal with Nexstar:

Yes the Media General merger and its influence has made an impact on Nexstar (and I fully expect the Tribune acquisition to be the same for Nexstar) and they will be better post-Tribune than they were post-Media General, now do I think Nexstar is wayyyy better? No I don't and here's why:

Nexstar is still making some of the same mistakes that they've been doing before the Media General acquisition (i.e WHTM using the old bug) but this is like that with any other group you look at. Every group you look at no matter how big or small you will find flaws in each and every broadcast group you run into.

Edited by oknewsguy

On 2/6/2019 at 6:20 PM, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

https://www.wfla.com/ also seems to be different. 

More and more broadcast groups seem to be using https://www.lakana.com/index.html vs the former WordPress VIP or https://web.liferay.com/products/what-is-a-portal/enterprise-cms

Noticed that more and more news sites are switching to AWS. Most likely to handle breaking stories and scale better, I assume? 

Edited by kmetz

11 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

Here's the deal with Nexstar:

Yes the Media General merger and its influence has made an impact on Nexstar (and I fully expect the Tribune acquisition to be the same for Nexstar)

You can thank Media General's merger with LIN for that. I mean, how do you think MG started getting better?

6 minutes ago, mre29 said:

You can thank Media General's merger with LIN for that. I mean, how do you think MG started getting better?

Media General, pre-LIN, was (if anything) worse than pre-MG Nexstar. A lot of stations languished in those days.

You can see that most with a couple of the stations that broke away from it all: WSLS and WVTM. While the former hasn't had the ratings success yet (admittedly, its struggles went back to the Park era), that's due to competition strength, while the latter jumped from a distant #4 under MG to #2 today. Most of the other stations dropped in the mergers were ex-LIN or only with MG for a short time so they didn't really measure in the changes.

Edited by GoldenShine9

23 minutes ago, mre29 said:

Media General decided to bring in the leadership team over from LIN (which has since carried over to Nexstar)

22 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

Media General decided to bring in the leadership team over from LIN (which has since carried over to Nexstar)

That doesn't mean Media General should get sole credit for the improvements to Nexstar.

1 minute ago, mre29 said:

That doesn't mean Media General should get sole credit for the improvements to Nexstar.

Yes it does. Because without the Media General merger Nexstar would still be making the same mistakes they made pre-MG

7 hours ago, kmetz said:

https://www.wfla.com/ also seems to be different. 

More and more broadcast groups seem to be using https://www.lakana.com/index.html vs the former WordPress VIP or https://web.liferay.com/products/what-is-a-portal/enterprise-cms

Noticed that more and more news sites are switching to AWS. Most likely to handle breaking stories and scale better, I assume? 

Admittedly it is easier to handle scale of operations from a cloud perspective and going towards AWS or some other cloud based platform. Means for the stations IT department, they do not actually have to have the station's website on a station's local servers, and can ensure maximum uptime for a station's web presence. I would also expect that with virtualization being big as well, if a company like Nexstar isn't using something that is enterprised across their stations (for contingency purposes), than that would be kind of silly.

1 hour ago, bhratbrat said:

Admittedly it is easier to handle scale of operations from a cloud perspective and going towards AWS or some other cloud based platform. Means for the stations IT department, they do not actually have to have the station's website on a station's local servers, and can ensure maximum uptime for a station's web presence. I would also expect that with virtualization being big as well, if a company like Nexstar isn't using something that is enterprised across their stations (for contingency purposes), than that would be kind of silly.

My guess is, it's all managed by lakana. I could be wrong but the login pages for publishing are all StationID.lakana.com 

It's clear as day here in the footer 😛

Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 5.23.11 PM.png

8 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

Yes it does. Because without the Media General merger Nexstar would still be making the same mistakes they made pre-MG

I seem to recall that Media General was making a lot of its own mistakes pre-LIN. Would that Media General have improved Nexstar as much as MG/LIN has?

• 24994J locked this topic
  • Weeters unlocked this topic