Nexstar...again

Not good especially after KYTV basically shut down any remaining semblance of KSPR's news department...

It may have been a scrappy operation, but it was needed in Springfield. Nexstar is making a bold move in this time of heightened scrutiny over cross-ownership.

Even worse, to sail this deal through, one of the signals may have to be terminated (KOZL or KRBK)...unless KRBK's distributed frequency network doesn't count as a full-powered station.

Nexstar can keep all three signals in Springfield since they were already playing the shell game in Springfield. Mission owns KOLR while Nexstar owns KOZL, so believe it or not, the transaction to buy KRBK is legal since they're technically twinsticking with KOZL and I assume one of them isn't in the top 4.

• Like 1

I'm going to call it right now, Nexstar will gain a duopoly in Knoxville while also acquiring KTEN in Sherman/Ada

The only question is who gets KAKELand? (since Nexstar already owns KSN) my money for that would be on Standard or Hearst acquiring KAKELand

As for KTEN, Nexstar might as well do what they need to do to acquire them as KTEN is the missing piece of a Nexstar-Graycom puzzle that will flank the Oklahoma-Texas border.

Amarillo: KAMR-KFDA

Wichita Falls: KFDX-KSWO

Sherman: KTEN?-KXII

Shreveport: KTAL-KSLA

Nexstar can keep all three signals in Springfield since they were already playing the shell game in Springfield. Mission owns KOLR while Nexstar owns KOZL, so believe it or not, the transaction to buy KRBK is legal since they're technically twinsticking with KOZL and I assume one of them isn't in the top 4.

Springfield is FAR short of the 8 voices that can allow a duopoly to take place. There's KYTV (which absorbed KSPR), KOLR/KOZL, KWBM, KRBK and KOZK. Only 5 voices.

Methinks the loophole is that the COL of KRBK is in Osage Beach...which has a tiny portion in the Jefferson City/Columbia market....where Nexstar has no stations.

Springfield is FAR short of the 8 voices that can allow a duopoly to take place. There's KYTV (which absorbed KSPR), KOLR/KOZL, KWBM, KRBK and KOZK. Only 5 voices.

Methinks the loophole is that the COL of KRBK is in Osage Beach...which has a tiny portion in the Jefferson City/Columbia market....where Nexstar has no stations.

The 8 voices rule was abolished this year, meaning as long as Nexstar can prove that KRBK or KOZL is a 5th place station it's legal.

• Like 1

FTVLive will still say they were FIRST...

Doesn't Scott always?

A certain other person often uses the term FIRST on their blog, and then puts a disclaimer at the bottom that some of the info was taken from other sources. And the reasoning is because their first among their “competitors”.

• Like 2

Now that I think about it, the deal probably is NOT legal.

KSPR is a low-power station; the previous signal is defunct. That would presumably mean that the order is this:

1 - KYTV

2 - KOLR

(NR - KSPR)

3 - KRBK

4 - KOZL

Unless KRBK is in the Fort Smith-Fayetteville, Kansas City or Columbia-Jefferson City market?

• Like 4

Now that I think about it, the deal probably is NOT legal.

KSPR is a low-power station; the previous signal is defunct. That would presumably mean that the order is this:

1 - KYTV

2 - KOLR

(NR - KSPR)

3 - KRBK

4 - KOZL

Unless KRBK is in the Fort Smith-Fayetteville, Kansas City or Columbia-Jefferson City market?

KRBK's license is in Osage Beach, Missouri (near Lake of the Ozarks) which technically is within the Springfield/Branson DMA

KRBK's license is in Osage Beach, Missouri (near Lake of the Ozarks) which technically is within the Springfield/Branson DMA

Osage Beach is actually split between the Springfield and Columbia/Jefferson City DMAs. Most of Osage Beach is in Camden County, which is in the Springfield DMA, but a small portion of it is in Miller County, which is in the Columbia/Jefferson City DMA.

Osage Beach is actually split between the Springfield and Columbia/Jefferson City DMAs. Most of Osage Beach is in Camden County, which is in the Springfield DMA, but a small portion of it is in Miller County, which is in the Columbia/Jefferson City DMA.

Hence why I said technically for that very reason

As per RabbitEars, KRBK will be moving to the Springfield antenna farm in Fordland, MO when they more to RF 22 in the repack.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As I figured would happen once the Sinclair purchase went bust, The New York Post is reporting that Nexstar is looking at attempting to acquire Tribune Media. It would be an interesting case of vengance, considering that Sinclair bid fairly higher than what Nexstar was willing to pay when Tribune was seeking bids in an auction-like manner in May of last year.

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, here are the markets where Nexstar can acquire a Tribune station clean, in DMA order:

DMA 1: New York - WPIX 11 CW

DMA 2: Los Angeles - KTLA 5 CW

DMA 3: Chicago - WGN 9

DMA 4: Philadelphia - WPHL 17

DMA 5: Dallas - KDAF 33 CW

DMA 6: Washington, DC - WDCA 50 CW (A duopoly with WDVM would be formed)*

DMA 7: Houston - KIAH 39 CW

DMA 12: Seattle - KCPQ 13 FOX & KZJO 22

DMA 16: Miami - WSFL 39 CW

DMA 17: Denver - KWGN 2 CW & KDVR 31 FOX

DMA 19: Cleveland - WJW 8 FOX

DMA 20: Sacramento - KTXL 40 FOX

DMA 21: St. Louis - KTVI 2 FOX & KPLR 11 CW

DMA 22; Portland, OR - KRCW 32 CW (A duopoly with KOIN would be formed)

DMA 29: San Diego - KSWB 69 FOX

DMA 33: Kansas City - WDAF 4 FOX

DMA 36: Milwaukee - WITI 6 FOX

DMA 41: OKC - KFOR 4 NBC & KAUT 43

DMA 48: Piedmont - WGHP 8 FOX

DMA 51: New Orleans - WGNO 26 ABC & WNOL 38 CW

• Like 2

Correct me if I'm wrong, here are the markets where Nexstar can acquire a Tribune station clean, in DMA order:

DMA 1: New York - WPIX 11 CW

DMA 2: Los Angeles - KTLA 5 CW

DMA 3: Chicago - WGN 9

DMA 4: Philadelphia - WPHL 17

DMA 5: Dallas - KDAF 33 CW

DMA 6: Washington, DC - WDCA 50 CW (A duopoly with WDVM would be formed)*

DMA 7: Houston - KIAH 39 CW

DMA 12: Seattle - KCPQ 13 FOX & KZJO 22

DMA 16: Miami - WSFL 39 CW

DMA 17: Denver - KWGN 2 CW & KDVR 31 FOX

DMA 19: Cleveland - WJW 8 FOX

DMA 20: Sacramento - KTXL 40 FOX

DMA 21: St. Louis - KTVI 2 FOX & KPLR 11 CW

DMA 22; Portland, OR - KRCW 32 CW (A duopoly with KOIN would be formed)

DMA 29: San Diego - KSWB 69 FOX

DMA 33: Kansas City - WDAF 4 FOX

DMA 36: Milwaukee - WITI 6 FOX

DMA 41: OKC - KFOR 4 NBC & KAUT 43

DMA 45: Susqunehanna - WPMT 43 FOX (Possible duopoly with WHTM)*

DMA 48: Piedmont - WGHP 8 FOX

DMA 50: Memphis - WREG 3 CBS

DMA 51: New Orleans - WGNO 26 ABC & WNOL 38 CW

Susquehanna would not be clean, as they are ranked 2nd and 3rd. Memphis is not clean either.

• Like 5

Here are the Conflict Markets where new homes would be needed:

DMA 28: Indianapolis

DMA 30: Utah

DMA 32: Connecticut

DMA 43: West Michigan

DMA 45: Susquehanna

DMA 47: Hampton Roads

DMA 50: Memphis

DMA 55: Richmond

DMA 57: NE Pennsylvania

DMA 68: Des Moines

DMA 80: North Alabama

DMA 98: NW Arkansas

DMA 102: Quad Cities

Note: Please do not attempt to resolve conflicts by selling to your BFF, poker buddy, car dealer, etc for pennies on the dollar.

• Like 7

Here are the Conflict Markets where new homes would be needed:

DMA 28: Indianapolis

DMA 30: Utah

DMA 32: Connecticut

DMA 43: West Michigan

DMA 47: Hampton Roads

DMA 57: NE Pennsylvania

DMA 68: Des Moines

DMA 80: North Alabama

DMA 98: NW Arkansas

DMA 102: Quad Cities

Note: Please do not attempt to resolve conflicts by selling to your BFF, poker buddy, car dealer, etc for pennies on the dollar.

Huntsville and Richmond, along with Susquehanna and Memphis, are also conflict markets.

• Like 4

• 24994J locked this topic
  • Weeters unlocked this topic