Nexstar...again

All remaining stations have the new website. Still no name changes among legacy stations.

I really don't see most of the stations changing their url, especially the ones with 2 news operations like WBRE/WYOU, WTWO/WAWV, and WTVW/WEHT

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2018/04/nexstar_issues_statement_to_co.html

Update on the abc27/Flora situation.

Looks like Nexstar is going all in for defending the way they do things. A few takeaways ... they say that they are looking at all aspects of the station ... anchor desk changes are coming ... and they are shelling in $3 million in improvements to the station.

You can do a lot with $3 million dollars. Stay tuned. Things are heating up at abc27.

— Matt

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Reuters reports that Apollo Global Management has approached Nexstar about possibly acquiring the company, in conjunction with existing Nexstar stakeholder P2 Capital Partners. They note, though, that the confidential sources who informed them of the offer contend that "Nexstar has not yet engaged in sale talks and there is no certainty it will entertain an offer."
  • Like 1

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2018/04/nexstar_issues_statement_to_co.html

Update on the abc27/Flora situation.

Looks like Nexstar is going all in for defending the way they do things. A few takeaways ... they say that they are looking at all aspects of the station ... anchor desk changes are coming ... and they are shelling in $3 million in improvements to the station.

You can do a lot with $3 million dollars. Stay tuned. Things are heating up at abc27.

— Matt

They need to clean house at management more than anything - need to fire their GM, their VP, their ND, etc.. Is it hurting them in ratings (has WHP or WPMT caught them)? I know WGAL dominates the market.

It will be interesting to see if Nexstar is hostily acquired much like Media General was hostily acquired by Nexstar....

Given Nexstar's debt load, this could be a bigger disaster in the making....

That's a long Speculatron post in the making too. And I see one difficult, but workable, possibility...which is a 180 of old rumors.

• Like 2

It will be interesting to see if Nexstar is hostily acquired much like Media General was hostily acquired by Nexstar....

Given Nexstar's debt load, this could be a bigger disaster in the making....

Funny you mention that!

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nexstar-m-a-apolloglobal-exclusive/exclusive-apollo-approaches-tv-stations-owner-nexstar-about-acquisition-sources-idUSKBN1K120L

(Reuters) - Buyout firm Apollo Global Management LLC (APO.N) has approached Nexstar Media Group Inc (NXST.O), an operator of television stations that reach nearly 40 percent of U.S. households, to express interest in acquiring it, according to people familiar with the matter.

The approach comes a year after Nexstar’s $2.3 billion acquisition of peer Media General Inc turned it into one of the largest U.S. broadcasters. Nexstar wants to add scale as advertisers move their spending to digital and mobile platforms.

I'm getting some bad Toys R Us vibes from this...

• Like 2

I say Nexstar gets broken up simply because Nexstar is WAY too big for one company to fully acquire it

I say Nexstar(or Sinclair) falls apart simply because it got so big that nobody could buy it...and I hope the goverment allows it to fail.

No bail outs.

Let it crash and burn so real entrepreneurs can try something new that can serve local markets better.

The sooner it happens the better.

Speculation can be very costly as Sinclair my soon attest to, TV stations groups should never be considered too big to fail.

I see this whole Sinclair mess as being the "warning shot" that the FCC has fired across the bow of all the large station groups.

I support comprehensive television reform.

drinkinkbex.thumb.JPG.6a8a3b4299f328e5c141b9ec3ec8cdc5.JPG

• Like 5

The Philadelphia Inquirer reports on the declining morale at Nexstar's WHTM, while Perry still stands by the GM.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/abc27-flora-posteraro-discrimination-nexstar-robert-bee-20180719.html

Given that Nexstar's management all the way down to the station level is one big good 'ol boys club, Uncle Perry standing by their GM isn't surprising.

• Like 6

New M&A from Nexstar tonight.

They're buying Lockwood's CW station WHDF in Huntsville for $2.25M.

Nexstar already owns the Fox station, WZDX.

And as of 7/15, they're operating WHDF under a TBA.

I'm going to call it right now, Nexstar will gain a duopoly in Knoxville while also acquiring KTEN in Sherman/Ada

The only question is who gets KAKELand? (since Nexstar already owns KSN) my money for that would be on Standard or Hearst acquiring KAKELand

I'm going to call it right now, Nexstar will gain a duopoly in Knoxville while also acquiring KTEN in Sherman/Ada

The only question is who gets KAKELand? (since Nexstar already owns KSN) my money for that would be on Standard or Hearst acquiring KAKELand

Just throwing it out there, but what if TEGNA had an interest in getting the KAKEland cluster?

• 2 weeks later...
Y'all, Nexstar is tryings to get KRBK.

https://www.ozarksfirst.com/video/nexstar-to-acquire-krbk_20180802161330/1341474669

Don't know if it's been posted yet but better safe than sorry.

So they wanted Fox so bad after losing it several years ago, when KOZL was KSFX.

Looking at Nexstar's press release (which includes WHDF's deal as well) they're buying both of those stations for $19.45M. So the KRBK deal is worth $17.20M?

• Like 2

A co-worker says people at KRBK have already been told their jobs will be gone in a month. KOLR will absorb a few..

Just a darn shame... KRBK becomes the new "alternate" and now, it'll be a two-station market... KYTV/KSPR/KYCW vs. KOLR/KOZL/KRBK

Just a darn shame... KRBK becomes the new "alternate" and now, it'll be a two-station market... KYTV/KSPR/KYCW vs. KOLR/KOZL/KRBK

I guess Springfield becomes another Jacksonville or another market that's on the same level as Springfield with only 2 owners controlling at least 3 stations

• Like 5

Not good especially after KYTV basically shut down any remaining semblance of KSPR's news department...

It may have been a scrappy operation, but it was needed in Springfield. Nexstar is making a bold move in this time of heightened scrutiny over cross-ownership.

Even worse, to sail this deal through, one of the signals may have to be terminated (KOZL or KRBK)...unless KRBK's distributed frequency network doesn't count as a full-powered station.

What about WSKY?

• Like 2