Nexstar...again

Besides WBOY, WVNS, WTRF, and WOWK, both WATE and KTVX have updated the website as well.

With so many stations adopting this I guess this is the new Nexstar layout. a slight improvement over the previous one, but still a downgrade from the MG wordpress sites.

It is encouraging to see the West Virginia stations drop the stupid "localportalhomepage.net" titles, hopefully other nexstar stations will do he same.

• Like 2

Looks like the former WV Media Holding stations have went to back to call letter websites. When Nexstar took over those stations under brokerage agreement websites changed to example: tristateupdate.com for WOWK. Now it's back to wowktv.com same goes for WTRF, WVNS and WBOY. Could this be a sign of change?

Maybe someone at Nexstar finally realized giving their stations' websites random names that don't really connect with the station itself is stupid, and are now "finally" trying to fix that mistake. Hopefully this means the end is nigh for sites like arkansasmatters.com and ozarksfirst.com.

• Like 4

Maybe someone at Nexstar finally realized giving their stations' websites random names that don't really connect with the station itself is stupid, and are now "finally" trying to fix that mistake. Hopefully this means the end is nigh for sites like arkansasmatters.com and ozarksfirst.com.

In Little Rock, they already have a separate website for KLRT at fox16.com carried over from Newport. So hopefully at some point they'll change arkansasmatters.com to KARK.com or something tied to KARK.

• Like 1

Or maybe they realized that shorter URLs are much easier to type into web browsers on phones.

• Like 2

Looks like the former WV Media Holding stations have went to back to call letter websites. When Nexstar took over those stations under brokerage agreement websites changed to example: tristateupdate.com for WOWK. Now it's back to wowktv.com same goes for WTRF, WVNS and WBOY. Could this be a sign of change?

Hearst has done the same thing. Your turn, Graham and Scripps' ex-MGH stations.

• Like 3

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/12/5/taking-it-to-the-net

Here's hoping....

The former West Virginia media stations also dumped their Frankly sites in favor of Lakana.

I think whoever was responsible for trying to pick out all the CrappyLocalWebsite.com domains either got laid off or their head exploded

• Like 1

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/12/5/taking-it-to-the-net

Here's hoping....

The former West Virginia media stations also dumped their Frankly sites in favor of Lakana.

I think whoever was responsible for trying to pick out all the CrappyLocalWebsite.com domains either got laid off or their head exploded

Maybe he or she got laid off in the MG acquisition.

The Nexstar website names will always live on stations with consolidated news departments.

BigCountryHomepage.com for KTAB and KRBC.

There's no way they could be separated.

Yeah, I wonder if we'll see a two-tiered system where the consolidated Big 3 stations keep the stupid URLs but the solo stations either keep their MG website names or revert to their old ones.

Although, interesting to note, KTVX kept "Good4Utah."

Wonder if it's up to each station.

The Nexstar website names will always live on stations with consolidated news departments.

BigCountryHomepage.com for KTAB and KRBC.

There's no way they could be separated.

Actually, those could be separated for since the newscasts are separately branded, just like many other duopolies with separate newscasts have separate websites. As I mentioned previously, Nexstar already has a similar situation in Little Rock with KLRT having a separate website.

Yeah, I wonder if we'll see a two-tiered system where the consolidated Big 3 stations keep the stupid URLs but the solo stations either keep their MG website names or revert to their old ones.

Although, interesting to note, KTVX kept "Good4Utah."

Wonder if it's up to each station.

Another thing I've noticed with Nexstar is they've decided to not renew the '.biz' spin-off sites they launched to try to snap on the Groupon 'local daily deal' craze from years back. WFRV's 'wearegreenbay.biz' and KARK's 'arkansasmatters.biz' both 404. That, or someone in Nexstar IT dropped a note to Perry that nothing on the '.biz' domain is trusted by anyone.

WCBD is now using Al Vanik as a VO for their open. He replaces Gregg O’Neill who they have used since they flipped to Media General graphics in 2002. They are still using O’Neill on promos, including during the newscast.

Al Vanik?!! Haven’t heard voice work from him in years - betcha his voice sounds different.

WTEN in my hometown of Albany is still using “The Edge” in promos for its weather app and has kept the same graphics and L3’s, but they still have the new open and “Inergy”.

• Like 1

Al Vanik?!! Haven’t heard voice work from him in years - betcha his voice sounds different.

WTEN in my hometown of Albany is still using “The Edge” in promos for its weather app and has kept the same graphics and L3’s, but they still have the new open and “Inergy”.

Albany has a habit of keeping old themes alive after a theme change. WTEN did just this as I remember some promo cuts of Primetime News sticking around after Momentum News came in.

WRGB was a big offender of this, using some cuts from the mid 80s Freedom package for promos and random stings as late as 1993 and some v.1 Enforcer cuts stuck around for the whole time then-News in Focus was in use. This doesn't even get into WNYT using cuts from Image IX and The Tower just for promos here and there.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

WJTV and WHLT have merged their websites into one, but under the WJTV.com URL. They have a website layout similar to the Nexstar layout. Makes one wonder if Nexstar will merge these two markets (Jackson and Hattiesburg, MS) together under the traditional Nexstar URL they give stations.

WKRG also has that same website layout now as well.

• 24994J locked this topic
  • Weeters unlocked this topic