Nexstar...again

Sorry to bring up an old topic but I was able to find some videos of the opens for KLAF and KADN.

And yes, they look really really cheap.

Remember, this is also the market where KATC has its own musical opening...

The posted opening from KATC is used for Good Morning Acadiana only; for their other newscasts, they use cuts from Gari Media's "The One and Only" package (which they've used since 1998)....

• 2 weeks later...

According to our partners at FTVLive, the Richmond Nexstar outlet WRIC sold the rights to breaking news coverage to a Richmond area personal injury attorney. No, really. On screen elements for breaking news will now be showing the logo of the law firm.

Cue the TVNT breaking news memery in 3...2...

• Like 4

According to our partners at FTVLive, the Richmond Nexstar outlet WRIC sold the rights to breaking news coverage to a Richmond area personal injury attorney. No, really. On screen elements for breaking news will now be showing the logo of the law firm.

The former West Virginia Media Holdings stations that are now owned by Nexstar have intro-ed all of their newscast even long before being owned by Nexstar as: "Live from the Frontier Communications Studio.... 7News (or 12News, 13News, 59News) begins "NOW"!!!!!!

Not really surprising. Nexstar sell rights to tickers and to weather segments sometimes.

The former West Virginia Media Holdings stations that are now owned by Nexstar have intro-ed all of their newscast even long before being owned by Nexstar as: "Live from the Frontier Communications Studio.... 7News (or 12News, 13News, 59News) begins "NOW"!!!!!!

Not really surprising. Nexstar sell rights to tickers and to weather segments sometimes.

The difference with WRIC is that this is sponsorship of the breaking news segment. As FTVLive points out, the law firm's name will be on coverage of "breaking news" which will sound pretty distasteful when it's a tragic event.

• Like 5

The difference with WRIC is that this is sponsorship of the breaking news segment. As FTVLive points out, the law firm's name will be on coverage of "breaking news" which will sound pretty distasteful when it's a tragic event.

Q: Who does Nexstar have an obligation to serve first?

The Viewers...or the shareholders?

• Like 5

By selling sponsorship to the "breaking news" coverage, it does a couple of things. One is the distaste factor, but the other is that they will now be WAY MORE likely to actually use the breaking news banner, if only because some sponsor is going to want their money's worth.

• Like 1

Just imagine it.

OPEN: "From WRIC, this is Breaking News, sponsored by Tronfeld West & Durrett."

ANCHOR: "Good evening everyone, we have a major breaking news story sponsored by Tronfeld West and Durrett. A school bus carrying 45 elementary school children has just driven into an incinerator and exploded at Nasty Filth garbage dump in Richmond. All lives have been lost. If you are a parent or guardian of one of the children on the bus, our breaking news sponsors at Tronfeld West & Durrett highly encourage you to contact them to discuss what actions you can take next."

• Like 3

I watch WRIC sometimes, but I'll say this: REALLY?! *facepalm* Will other Nexstar stations be next?

• Like 2

Just imagine it.

OPEN: "From WRIC, this is Breaking News, sponsored by Tronfeld West & Durrett."

ANCHOR: "Good evening everyone, we have a major breaking news story sponsored by Tronfeld West and Durrett. A school bus carrying 45 elementary school children has just driven into an incinerator and exploded at Nasty Filth garbage dump in Richmond. All lives have been lost. If you are a parent or guardian of one of the children on the bus, our breaking news sponsors at Tronfeld West & Durrett highly encourage you to contact them to discuss what actions you can take next."

Who do you think pays for this coverage...the news fairies?

I don't agree with this....I don't like it...but until SOMEBODY FUNDS decent non-baised news coverage, this is what you will get.

Do you want the government involved in your news gathering????

How about "single payer" news coverage?

We have a free market system that other countries have tried, fought and failed to become.

Show me a better system...a better way another free country does it.

Politics have corrupted the downstream media...bias ooze's from every single newsroom in this country in one form (left right) or another.

You want solid breaking news coverage???

You have to PAY for it.

You want expensive choppers... Sponsor them with PAID sponsors...or get donations from sympathetic donors.

You want top reporters??? Pay them!

You think news coverage is a "right"?

Pay for it...or get donors to do so....like these fringe advocacy groups that will NEVER donate a single dime to support decent news coverage....but are happy to extort millions for their own political coffers.

I watch WRIC sometimes, but I'll say this: REALLY?! *facepalm* Will other Nexstar stations be next?

To be fair, you have Nexstar stations already doing stuff like that anyway. Whatever it takes to get more ad revenues, I guess?

WTRF even sponsors its HD.... right after the already sponsored News open that ends with "7News starts now" is followed immediately by "HD brought to you by Bordas & Bordas" (it's a local law firm.

Newscasts started with a title sponsor for the entire program, and we'll probably end that way too. I don't like it, but that's the way it goes. Our sports segment is sponsored. So is traffic during certain hours. Let's not forget the ticker, the stock report (which takes ten seconds), the movie reviews, the tech report, one feature franchise.

• Like 1

Newscasts started with a title sponsor for the entire program, and we'll probably end that way too. I don't like it, but that's the way it goes. Our sports segment is sponsored. So is traffic during certain hours. Let's not forget the ticker, the stock report (which takes ten seconds), the movie reviews, the tech report, one feature franchise.

And the copters; it was jarring to see KTVI's Ferguson aftermath coverage from the air brought to us 'courtesy of the Bommarito Auto Group' (it was never said but it was lower-thirded). We'll see if the viewers actually reel back from them (and they're third in the market so this is basically not going to do much) or do what most of us do with stupid sponsorships; take one look, roll our eyes and continue to watch while making sure never to shop the stupid place mentioned again.

• Like 3

I think the issue people are having here is the fact that it's a sponsorship specifically for breaking news, which depending on the event can mean they have a sponsor for mass destruction and death. It just doesn't look good.

• Like 4

I think the issue people are having here is the fact that it's a sponsorship specifically for breaking news, which depending on the event can mean they have a sponsor for mass destruction and death. It just doesn't look good.

But anything is now breaking news...not just mass destruction.

True...some stations will manufacture "breaking" news just to satisfy that sponsorship.

• Like 2

Nexstar appears to be getting closer to finally bringing its news operation in house at KWKT/Waco. (Right now it originates at the Nexstar station in Tyler.) They've hired Leslie Rangel, a reporter at sister Nexstar station KXAN in Austin, to serve as main anchor. Keep in mind they were supposed to be up and running in 2016, so they're just a little behind ;)

• Like 1

Nexstar appears to be getting closer to finally bringing its news operation in house at KWKT/Waco. (Right now it originates at the Nexstar station in Tyler.) They've hired Leslie Rangel, a reporter at sister Nexstar station KXAN in Austin, to serve as main anchor. Keep in mind they were supposed to be up and running in 2016, so they're just a little behind ;)

I keep asking them several times on Facebook and they're hopeful to start this year for sure. But then again, look at last year. It never got off the ground so who knows when it will start.

They have hired two meteorologists as well.

I'll be curious to see the graphics, since it is the first new Nexstar news operation since the Media General acquisition. Will it have the old Nexstar graphics, the 2015 MG graphics (they inherited the production of that) or something else altogether?

• Like 1