Nexstar...again

I'm kind of surprised Signature is still offered. A lot of other Arnold packages of the era have unfortunately been retired (Finale originated in the same year as Signature and has held up better in my view), but somehow, that overly-sentimental old package keeps going.

It doesn't help that a lot of the newer-sounding cuts don't sound like they fit in, beyond the musical logo. When Arnold updated the ancient Wall to Wall News, they at least added brass that was meant to help the newer cuts blend in with the older ones.

• Like 3

There's hope on the streaming front.....

KOLR/KOZL in Springfield, MO is now streaming their newscasts online and has a Roku channel! (that doesn't stream newscasts.....yet)

It's livestream, so I am hoping and PRAYING that Nexstar doesn't screw that up for the acquired MG stations....

Watching a little of their newscast is like going back in time 10 years when HD was new, sets were made of fake wood veneer, graphics were gratuitous and flashy....and Arnold's "Signature"!!!! before SESAC sent his packages back to the clearance bin for Nexstar to pick up years later....

WBRE/WYOU, KAMC and KFDX/KJTL are also on Roku.

• Like 1

So how many Nexstar markets are carrying this "Big Game" tailgate special? Other than Texas, around New England or Atlanta, or a FOX affiliate, it seems like a power play for them to throw their weight around and sell the living daylights out of it...

In Austin, the newly acquired NBC affiliate (KXAN) is airing it at 5 pm Saturday and their sister CW station (KNVA) is running it at 9:30 pm Saturday. Is the special pay to play, a la your typical local lifestyle show? Or just a chance to grab extra ad dollars?

I'm thinking it's an ad grab. I've seen a barrage of 5 second billboards running on WKRG (bookending MANY of their breaks) with local sponsor logos plastered on them.

They ran a package at 10pm by some reporter I've never heard of that gave a VERY generic overview of the behind-the-scenes of Super Bowl...i mean "Big Game" operations in Houston.

Very generic and of little news value, IMHO. Mobile-Pensacola has little vested interest in this game, ESPECIALLY since WKRG and WFNA will not be airing it.

FTVLive chronicles the poor crew having to use a mic flag for EVERY station that's taking part....which is probably everyone.

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/2/2/super-bowl-nexstar-style

• Like 1

In Austin, the newly acquired NBC affiliate (KXAN) is airing it at 5 pm Saturday and their sister CW station (KNVA) is running it at 9:30 pm Saturday. Is the special pay to play, a la your typical local lifestyle show? Or just a chance to grab extra ad dollars?

6:30pm Friday on WFRV (I have to assume if the Packers were in the poor souls there would have been playing Mike Cube Theater all week in addition to their local responsibilities). You would think WPRI sent someone to Houston considering Providence is as equidistant from Foxboro as Boston, but it looks like one of the other pictures had a WPRI/WNAC cube too (and I see a WWLP cube in the FTVLive pic).

John Kucko's Excessively Large String of Mic Flags is probably the best new Super Bowl tradition of the decade:

Last year:

[MEDIA=twitter]697656255108685824[/MEDIA]

And now, consolidation is weighing him down even more this year.

[MEDIA=twitter]826093988524470272[/MEDIA]

• Like 4

The FTVLive article has a good idea:

Here's a tip.... Why not just give the Super Bowl crew a mic that is just chroma-key green and all the stations and superimpose their logo on that?

Here's another idea: Have three or four reporters down there to split the work. But, then, we're talking about Nexstar here.

Cant believe KOIN was trying to fit these many words in the L3.

[ATTACH]3683[/ATTACH]

Just more proof that the future will be "L 2/3's"...

They won't be happy until they have taken a whole 2/3rds of the screen.

End of days Darius...

End of days .

• Like 2

Just more proof that the future will be "L 2/3's"...

They won't be happy until they have taken a whole 2/3rds of the screen.

End of days Darius...

End of days .

Lest we forget the 2001 version of CNN Headline News...

cnnheadlinenews.jpg

Sad thing, this is more worthwhile than the "Forensic Files"-fest it has become. Just like this classic KBBL-TV promo.

https://g.redditmedia.com/1w0n6DOGjJzhh_P2ar8B0PMsIfoG8fT1KpMqiELLnYA.gif?w=480&fm=mp4&mp4-fragmented=false&s=575ba92ab3f13879732b9b3df9cd8518

"You're watching Channel 6, Springfield's home for Krusty the Clown, now on 3 times a day. Because at Channel 6, we got nothin' else!"

• Like 2

Lest we forget the 2001 version of CNN Headline News...

cnnheadlinenews.jpg

Sad thing, this is more worthwhile than the "Forensic Files"-fest it has become. Just like this classic KBBL-TV promo.

https://g.redditmedia.com/1w0n6DOGjJzhh_P2ar8B0PMsIfoG8fT1KpMqiELLnYA.gif?w=480&fm=mp4&mp4-fragmented=false&s=575ba92ab3f13879732b9b3df9cd8518

"You're watching Channel 6, Springfield's home for Krusty the Clown, now on 3 times a day. Because at Channel 6, we got nothin' else!"

I wanna cry after seeing that picture. I miss CNN Headline News and that format so much. That's the one channel I wish it went back to its original format.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The "Deathstar" has it sights set on WIVB in Buffalo.....their target?

GM Rene LaSpina, according to FTVLive....

And this wouldn't be the first time Nexstar has sent her packing. She was the GM at the helm of WPTY in Memphis that hit rock bottom under her reign. The sale to Nexstar resulted in the relocation and relaunch as WATN Local 24.

While her time in Buffalo is debatable, she was responsible for a lot of layoffs and cost-cutting of the on-air talent during her time there driving morale into the toilet as Scripps was picking up the pieces over at WKBW...

And as long as this video is still on YouTube....here's how bad it was at WPTY back in the day....

UPDATE: Dominic Mancuso, former WOIO/WUAB GM has been named as the GM of WIVB...

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/101659/mancuso-heads-buffalo-pair-for-nexstar

• Like 2