Nexstar...again

KWKT has a new open. I don't know if Nexstar actually went through with bringing the news department in-house but you will notice something different that I'm not going to say:

Looks like they're still not producing in house. That anchor and meteorologist are both based out of KETK in Tyler.

• Like 2

KWKT has a new open. I don't know if Nexstar actually went through with bringing the news department in-house but you will notice something different that I'm not going to say:

I know this isn't what is supposed to be noticed as different, but boy oh boy, what a wacky ass mix of Overture and FOX O&O themes going on there, plus awful directing and mixing... All around bad effort no matter where it's being produced.

Needs polish, snappier pacing and more.

Horrendous!

According to this video, it's still produced at KETK. They were supposed to start its in-house news department last year but delayed it to this year and so far, nothing yet.

Has it passed anyone's mind that with the MG and WVMH deals closed or about to close that Perry Sook, the Cap Cities fanboy, has practically recreated Cap Cities minus Philly and Houston?

• The first Cap Cities TV station was WCDA, forerunner to today's WTEN.
  • The second was the incumbent CBS station for the Triangle (WTVD for Cap Cities, WNCN for Nexstar)
  • The third Cap Cities TV station was channel 12 in Providence (WPRO then/WPRI now)
  • The fourth was a VHF in Buffalo (WKBW for Cap Cities, WIVB for Nexstar)
  • The fifth was a VHF serving most of West Virginia (WSAZ for Cap Cities, WOWK for Nexstar)
  • Later additions included WTNH and a station in Frenso (KFSN for Cap Cities, KSEE/KGPE for Nexstar)
  • Finally, a UHF in Tampa to close it out (WFTS for Cap Cities, WTTA for Nexstar)

Is Nexstar going to buy ABC once Disney finally gets around to dumping it?

We can't miss the Nexstar Town Hall on Jan 25th.

Thanks for the link. Should be starting any moment. For now, it's still screens and some kind of "Americana: Reflecting On Our Musical Roots" series from Stephen Arnold's production vault blasting through.

Guess Sooky's handlers are currently putting on his HD makeup face :D

It's just a reminder that I know way too much about news music.

They did show one graphic, which is a map of every market with a Nexstar station. If Honolulu were really that close, Phoenix would be a lot nicer...

h68NK-VZ7V7cFhPb0sAIwBzYQQUQNgnzhtbB9-0l_gXa2GyG4u-I0snyi2_Gpmz7vRYySY4VAmF7aO3nLsEeoVNlSmh0egFbdyHzE6LvoMAI4av1wcwKsmUDuTGzHRrg

Looking at that makes me wanna throw up. I don't even know how Nexstar will pay to operate all of them on a daily basis, not to mention vacations and benefits will be cut. I'm so glad my home market (Miami) nor Orlando are involved in this.

• Like 1

The density of Nexstar stations is impressive, but it's also a major risk. In media, when companies get this large and do it by organizing local units, it can be painful and debt-laden.

They're starting a bit late. My guess is if the impending presidential address is an SR on one or more of the networks, this is being held back so, say, MCOs can join in.

It's just a reminder that I know way too much about news music.

They did show one graphic, which is a map of every market with a Nexstar station. If Honolulu were really that close, Phoenix would be a lot nicer...

h68NK-VZ7V7cFhPb0sAIwBzYQQUQNgnzhtbB9-0l_gXa2GyG4u-I0snyi2_Gpmz7vRYySY4VAmF7aO3nLsEeoVNlSmh0egFbdyHzE6LvoMAI4av1wcwKsmUDuTGzHRrg

yeah. i usually see Stephen Arnold as the softer rock type news music compared to 615's "Epic thriller movie" type news music and Gari's Magical, majestic type news music.

• Like 5

Looking at that makes me wanna throw up. I don't even know how Nexstar will pay to operate all of them on a daily basis, not to mention vacations and benefits will be cut. I'm so glad my home market (Miami) nor Orlando are involved in this.

They have out-Sinclair'ed Sinclair. And yet neither gets the vitriol that Clear Channel gets or got back in the day.

• Like 4

All in all, a big step down for the ex MG/Lin/Young stations. Lots of the word LOCAL tossed in for fluff and added creative flair. Wonder if Mardek1995 wrote the script for this??!? What a mess of an introduction for the newly acquired stations, as the standards of taking care of employees, definitely goes down.

No surprise over the big step down. No employee stock option plans, less 401K employer match, less vacation time, lots of conforming to Nexstar guidelines... but moooooore SICK time! Employees will probably need to use every bit of that working for this company. If all else fails, just stumble around and chant local, Local, LOCAL a few times and things will magically appear to look up in your life! The smart ones will find a better company to work for or get out of the business.

• Like 5

The "local(s)" at Nexstar soon may be...

NABET/CWA Local ##

IATSE Local ##

IBEW ##

Riddle: What did the Nexstar TV Reporter say to the McDonalds Fry Girl???

Answer (TV Reporter) "Wow I wish made $12 per hour and got 40 hours per week... like you do."

The chances of any union affecting Nexstar are pretty slim considering the status of the broadcast unions...but one can wish.

• Like 5

• 24994J locked this topic
  • Weeters unlocked this topic