Nexstar...again

One thing I do think that will also happen: Nexstar stations will adopt the LIN/MG graphics package, since they are inheriting the in-house graphics, like MG did when LIN was acquired.

True over the graphics, and I bet Arnold and the boys were popping some bubbly after the FCC approval was announced. Just a matter of months and all of the MG/LIN stations will switch over to a SAM/360 pack if they don't do so voluntarily. I don't predict many fights over that mandate besides a station like WAVY-TV10 and WOOD-TV.

WAVY should have paid 615 to fully and totally buy-out the complete and total rights to the entire package before this deal went through. That would have been their only way to continue with the music long-term and to where Arnold could have updated it and kept the logo verbatim, without having to side-step around it with slight logo variations to keep 615/Warner-Chappell happy.

I predict a few fights at WAVY, both over the music and the website just for starters. It'll be super surprising if their GM and a few other long-timers don't leave or get forced out by the end of the year.

• Like 4

One thing I do think that will also happen: Nexstar stations will adopt the LIN/MG graphics package, since they are inheriting the in-house graphics, like MG did when LIN was acquired.

That all depends since both companies have a hodgepodge of graphics packages floating around from multiple sources (i.e., Hothaus, NBC Artworks, Linear Drift, jcbD, etc.) in addition to all of their in-house stuff.

True over the graphics, and I bet Arnold and the boys were popping some bubbly after the FCC approval was announced. Just a matter of months and all of the MG/LIN stations will switch over to a SAM/360 pack if they don't do so voluntarily. I don't predict many fights over that mandate besides a station like WAVY-TV10 and WOOD-TV.

WAVY should have paid 615 to fully and totally buy-out the complete and total rights to the entire package before this deal went through. That would have been their only way to continue with the music long-term and to where Arnold could have updated it and kept the logo verbatim, without having to side-step around it with slight logo variations to keep 615/Warner-Chappell happy.

I predict a few fights at WAVY, both over the music and the website just for starters. It'll be super surprising if their GM and a few other long-timers don't leave or get forced out by the end of the year.

I'm just hoping the long-timers at WAVY (Bruce Rader, Don Slater, Don Roberts, Andy Fox) don't get forced out the way via buyout (much like Joe Flanagan and Velma Scaife at WVEC last year).

• Like 3

I'm just hoping the long-timers at WAVY (Bruce Rader, Don Slater, Don Roberts, Andy Fox) don't get forced out the way via buyout (much like Joe Flanagan and Velma Scaife at WVEC last year).

Unfortunately, I think this is inevitable.

Let's not forget their award-winning team of photojournalists. I know there are some long-timers in that department as well.

• Like 1

More than the graphics and music and branding (which all will suffer if New Nexstar goes Old Nexstar), WAVY has a lot to lose if the axe comes down too hard. Those names (give or take Andy, lol) are a lot of high-quality on-air talent. Losing even one of them would be almost immediately detrimental to their product.

Too many changes, and I predict you'll see the cratering of their ratings dominance.

• Like 5

More than the graphics and music and branding (which all will suffer if New Nexstar goes Old Nexstar), WAVY has a lot to lose if the axe comes down too hard. Those names (give or take Andy, lol) are a lot of high-quality on-air talent. Losing even one of them would be almost immediately detrimental to their product.

Too many changes, and I predict you'll see the cratering of their ratings dominance.

Who would benefit, WTKR or WVEC?

Who would benefit, WTKR or WVEC?

Short answer: WTKR would, hands down, with their new graphics and studio investment, and being the only direct competitor during "eyeball getter" primetime and morning news hours.

Long version:

I'm a fan of WVEC's product, and while they appear to be heir apparent (last I checked they were #2 in most slots), they have absolutely no more room to grow in the market. Remember that WAVY and WTKR are the only two stations with extended morning news from 7-9 AND the only two with primetime news (WTKR has a 7pm, and both have a 10pm). WVEC can't compete with either station beyond 7am or in the early evening, because there is nowhere for them to actually go or broadcast. All they really have is the longevity in talent (the longest on air broadcast team in the market at the traditional 5,6 & 11), but if TEGNA keeps cutting senior market folks...they definitely will lose too.

So, if WAVY were to fall from grace. WVEC might win a couple of "traditional" slots at 5, 6 & 11, but WTKR would be the clear cut winner in every other slot. The eyeballs would just migrate to the only other product available in town at those hours --WTKR.

So with TKR has ALL the chips really in their basket.

• Like 1

Short answer: WTKR would, hands down, with their new graphics and studio investment, and being the only direct competitor during "eyeball getter" primetime and morning news hours.

Long version:

I'm a fan of WVEC's product, and while they appear to be heir apparent (last I checked they were #2 in most slots), they have absolutely no more room to grow in the market. Remember that WAVY and WTKR are the only two stations with extended morning news from 7-9 AND the only two with primetime news (WTKR has a 7pm, and both have a 10pm). WVEC can't compete with either station beyond 7am or in the early evening, because there is nowhere for them to actually go or broadcast. All they really have is the longevity in talent (the longest on air broadcast team in the market at the traditional 5,6 & 11), but if TEGNA keeps cutting senior market folks...they definitely will lose too.

So, if WAVY were to fall from grace. WVEC might win a couple of "traditional" slots at 5, 6 & 11, but WTKR would be the clear cut winner in every other slot. The eyeballs would just migrate to the only other product available in town at those hours --WTKR.

So with TKR has ALL the chips really in their basket.

Don't forget that WTKR's 7pm is on WGNT and WAVY also has a 7pm but on WVBT.

WALA would be the clear beneficiary of WKRG/WFNA being run further into the ground by Nexstar.

Sinclair's already done it with both WEAR and WPMI. The Sinclair meddling is not helping things AT ALL.

As for WKRG/WFNA, with their GM leaving, it could be a clean slate there once they bring someone on board. I believe their new ND starts next week as well.

WALA would be the clear beneficiary of WKRG/WFNA being run further into the ground by Nexstar.

Sinclair's already done it with both WEAR and WPMI. The Sinclair meddling is not helping things AT ALL.

As for WKRG/WFNA, with their GM leaving, it could be a clean slate there once they bring someone on board. I believe their new ND starts next week as well.

So what your saying is... if those stations continue to burn to the ground, WALA 10 will be the overall news leader?

• Like 2

So what your saying is... if those stations continue to burn to the ground, WALA 10 will be the overall news leader?

Pretty much. By default, WALA is the only major station in the market NOT run by Sinclair or soon to be owned by Nexstar.

As soon as Nexstar gets foolish and starts cutting talent, changing graphics, and changes WKRG.com into something stupid like GulfCoastProud.com, it could be bad news for them.

• Like 1

As far as I know, for the MG-turned-Nexstar news producing stations (i.e. excluding those being shuffled off to someone else), here is how they rank in the markets, and who (in alphabetical order) are the competitors:

KELO+ - Dominant 1st (competitors: Gray, Red River)

KHON+ - 2nd (competitors: Raycom, SJL)

KLFY - 2nd (competitors: Bayou City, Cordillera)

KOIN - 2nd (competitors: Meredith, Sinclair, Tegna)

KRON - Distant 5th (or worse) (competitors: networks)

KRQE - 3rd? (competitors: Hearst, Hubbard) (not too familiar with the market)

KSNT - Distant 2nd (competitor: Gray)

KSNW+ - 2nd? (competitors: Gray, Lockwood, Sinclair) (not sure if KWCH+ is ahead of KSNW+)

KXAN - 1st (competitors: Fox, Sinclair, Tegna)

KXRM - 4th (competitors: Cordillera, Gray, NPG)

WANE - Dominant 1st (competitors: Heartland, Quincy)

WATE - 3rd? (competitors: Gray, Tegna) (not too familiar with the market overall)

WAVY - Dominant 1st (competitors: Tegna, Tribune)

WBTW - Dominant 1st (competitors: Raycom, Sinclair)

WCBD - Distant 2nd (competitors: Raycom, Sinclair)

WCMH - 3rd (competitors: Dispatch, Sinclair)

WDTN - Distant 2nd (competitors: Cox, Sinclair)

WFLA - 1st (competitors: Fox, Scripps, Tegna)

WHTM - 2nd (competitors: Hearst, Sinclair, Tribune)

WIAT - 4th (competitors: Hearst, Raycom, Sinclair)

WISH - 4th (competitors: Dispatch, Scripps, Tribune)

WIVB - 3rd (competitors: Scripps, Tegna)

WJBF - 2nd (competitors: Gray, Raycom)

WJHL - 2nd (competitor: Bonten)

WJTV - 2nd (competitors: Hearst, Raycom) (satellite WHLT in a separate market but with no local news)

WKBN - Distant 2nd (competitor: local owner)

WKRG - Close 1st (competitors: Meredith, Sinclair)

WKRN - 3rd (competitors: Meredith, Scripps, Sinclair)

WLNS - 2nd (competitor: Gray)

WNCN - Distant 3rd (competitors: ABC/Disney, Capitol)

WNCT - Close 3rd (competitors: Bonten, Gray)

WOOD - 1st? (competitors: Sinclair, Tegna, Tribune) (not too familiar with the market overall; WOTV outside top 4)

WPRI - 2nd (competitors: Citadel, Sinclair)

WRBL - Distant 2nd (competitors: Raycom, SagamoreHill)

WRIC - 3rd (competitors: Raycom, Tribune)

WSAV - Distant 2nd (competitors: Hearst, Raycom, Sinclair)

WSPA - 2nd (competitors: Hearst, Meredith, Sinclair)

WTEN - 1st (competitors: Hubbard, Sinclair)

WTNH - 2nd (competitors: Meredith, NBCU, Tribune)

WWLP - 1st (competitor: Meredith)

It will be interesting to see how these change afterward...by the way, of the stations that Nexstar is not acquiring, two are market leaders (KWQC and WBAY) and one has no real competition (WLFI).

• 24994J locked this topic
  • Weeters unlocked this topic