Nexstar...again

They're selling other stations to try to go under the 39% ownership cap. Even with these aforementioned divestitures, they still would've been over the cap by around 2%

The other divestitures to shave off the cap are WCWJ (Graham), KREG (Marquee), WLFI, KIMT, & KQTV (the latter three sold to Heartland). They're also selling KASA because that station & KRQE are both within the top-4, and had to divest one of the stations anyway (KASA sold to Ramar, Fox moves to KRQE-DT2).

I wouldn't be surprised if the FCC holds out on greenlighting this deal until after the conclusion of the spectrum auction.

A little odd that the DOJ chose to make this ruling on account of the fact that Nexstar already agreed to sell those stations to the aforementioned owners weeks ago, incidentally to garner DOJ and FCC approval of its merger with Media General.

That's nothing more than a formality. It's been done this with the MG/LIN, & Sinclair/Allbritton deals. Even if the post-transaction group already announced they're going to divest this, the DOJ is going issue a consent decree saying they have to divest this, divest.that. What I do find interesting is that the DOJ ruled that they'd had to divest an LP station (KLAF-LD) even though LPs doesn't count in the full ownership limits. They could've just said divest KADN, which is the full power station.

Hopefully Nexstar will invest in the former WV Media stations. This Nexstar graphic grab was added when it started a time brokerage agreement with WV Media.[ATTACH=full]3309[/ATTACH]

Living in West Virginia I can tell you the WVMH stations are in various stages of need. Of the 4, WOWK 13 in Charleston/Huntington is the most professional looking. WTRF 7 is at the other end of the spectrum. It is HORRENDOUS. Imagine a college TV station with students and neophytes staffing the news department. No creative services/promotions to speak of and a general look and feel that is backwoods reckneck at best. I grew up watching the station and in its glory days it was a force to be reckoned with. But ever since it's affiliation switch to CBS in 1980, and several ownership changes: Tri-Cities Broadcasting, Forward Communications, Wesray, Adams Communications, Brissette Communications, Benedek Broadcasting and finally West Virginia Media Holdings. Each of which lowered quality and lowered the bar overall. It is a sad, sad shell of its former self.

• Like 1

Living in West Virginia I can tell you the WVMH stations are in various stages of need. Of the 4, WOWK 13 in Charleston/Huntington is the most professional looking. WTRF 7 is at the other end of the spectrum. It is HORRENDOUS. Imagine a college TV station with students and neophytes staffing the news department. No creative services/promotions to speak of and a general look and feel that is backwoods reckneck at best. I grew up watching the station and in its glory days it was a force to be reckoned with. But ever since it's affiliation switch to CBS in 1980, and several ownership changes: Tri-Cities Broadcasting, Forward Communications, Wesray, Adams Communications, Brissette Communications, Benedek Broadcasting and finally West Virginia Media Holdings. Each of which lowered quality and lowered the bar overall. It is a sad, sad shell of its former self.

I lived in the Wheeling Market in 2007 and WTRF was bad then at least they had Jim Forbes. I lived in Charleston-Huntington market for 2 years and WOWK is very professional just needs a new set.

• Like 1

Holy crap....I found a Nexstar station that STREAMS their newscasts!

And it's their original set of stations, using the Livestream platform (using the WBRE feed since it's the main station of WBRE/WYOU).

Here's hoping they don't mess up what Media General has already done with theirs.

I haven't seen it a month ago, so this is probably quite recent

UPDATE: KFDX also livestreams

UPDATE 2: WATN and KOLR also livestreams

Holy crap....I found a Nexstar station that STREAMS their newscasts!

And it's their original set of stations, using the Livestream platform (using the WBRE feed since it's the main station of WBRE/WYOU).

Here's hoping they don't mess up what Media General has already done with theirs.

I do know that WSYR has streaming capabilities. http://www.localsyr.com/live-video-one

as does KLAS http://www.lasvegasnow.com/live-stream

If WBRE/WYOU is doing streaming now maybe this is a sign that they will add streaming to their stations websites? If that's the case (and if they are suing livestream) then that is a MAJOR step in the right direction.

• Like 1

I haven't seen it a month ago, so this is probably quite recent

UPDATE: KFDX also livestreams

UPDATE 2: WATN and KOLR also livestreams

I looked but couldn't find livestreams for WATN. KOLR's "livestream" is simply hosting CBSN on their site

I did find KFDX's http://www.texomashomepage.com/live-stream

for some reason it's still showing Friday's newscast

I know WATN did when they first re-launched under their new call sign and "Local 24" but it has gone away.

I noticed WSYR is another that still does....that goes back to their Newport ownership (and still uses the Inergize streaming platform).

Hopefully this is finally a "thing" for Nexstar. Doing away with it post-merger will put them at a SERIOUS disadvantage in the markets they serve. The fact that's it's Livestream is encouraging since they support the NewsOn service and allow for the on-demand aspect of it. Sinclair's streaming in comparison....to put it nicely....SUCKS!!!

I've worked with the Livestream for producers software...it runs on a normal PC...and it even allows me to record other web streams (by capturing a computer monitor on my system).

• 2 weeks later...
Just saw a tease for WTWO's 6pm newscast. They're using look G and The NBC version of iNergy

And to everyone's surprise: they did NOT change their branding to Local 2 News as far as I can see. The logo is the same, too, apart from some minor changes to make it look better with the graphics.

• Like 3

WTWO is using Look G for the graphics package. They've dropped The Rock for the NBC Version of iNergy. The NBC2 News brand has also been dropped, and the newscast is now referred to WTWO News.

Not much change on WAWV other than the graphics package (the KMID/WFXR package) and they're using different cuts of Aerial than previously used.

Both stations' newscast now use the same slogan (local news that matters) and air on the same set, which is brand new and utilizes a brick background with a giant video wall. The weather department is now branded as (surprise) Your Local Weather Authority. Changing out the previous NBC themed duratrans to clouds and the weather logo along with adding a Star Trek looking desk was seriously the only change they made to the weather center.

Overall, this is a MAJOR improvement for both stations, and I think everything looks great. I just wish WTWO would've dropped Harry Shultz and picked up Van Dyke for the voice over, kept the NBC 2 News branding instead of using WTWO News and I wish they would've kept The Rock news music package. I LOVE iNergy, but to me it just doesn't fit with the station.

Artworks had to at least have something to do with the creation of that package. The fonts, animations, etc.. all match other packages created by them.

Speaking of Nexstar graphics, who created the current WROC-HD and former WUHF-HD graphics packages??

Artworks had to at least have something to do with the creation of that package. The fonts, animations, etc.. all match other packages created by them.

Speaking of Nexstar graphics, who created the current WROC-HD and former WUHF-HD graphics packages??

(NBC) Artworks again. The package is "Look N".

No examples of these packages are currently at the (NBC) Artworks website. Information comes from the Nexstar Backyard website, which is accessible only to employees. Style Guides from (NBC) Artworks were provided to employees at that website, which include graphic examples for:

"Look E" (KOLR/former Telemundo O&O),

"Look G (NBC)",

"Look L",

"Magnesium" (WTVW/WEHT/WYZZ/KTAB, etc),

and a couple of custom-made packages.

Nexstar and Mission Broadcasting do utilize Hothaus for a few stations (KAMC, WJET, and WATN/WLMT come to mind).

• Like 1

They also will try to cut as many full time jobs possible and move people to part time 24-30 hours per week....to ELIMINATE those benefits.

Run!

• Like 1

• 24994J locked this topic
  • Weeters unlocked this topic