Nexstar...again

(Posting here because this station will end up with Nexstar)

WSAV has acquired the CW affiliation for their 3.2 subchannel. The current MyNetworkTV/Me-TV combo on there is being moved to 3.3. This leaves locally owned WGSA without a network and likely spectrum bait.

introducing-wsav-cw.jpg?w=650

http://wsav.com/2016/08/02/wsav-proud-to-announce-wsav-cw-beginning-september-12/

Something that I first learned back in April and reported on my blog back when WTGS was starting a news operation. I learned this from Broadcasting and Cable:

In terms of competition' date=' WTGS 28 will still be able to compete against WSAV 3 (NBC/MyTV)’s half-hour weeknight-[b']ONLY[/b] 10:00pm newscast on its second digital subchannel, currently known as MyLC, which carries MyNetworkTV primetime and Me-TV programming during off-network hours. However, the subchannel is expected to move to WSAV 3.3 as today, I learned that WSAV 3 has picked up the CW affiliation from WGSA 35 and will start airing it on WSAV 3.2 in HD from September 12th of this year. These subchannel changes will leave WGSA 35 to become Independent or silent and effectively discontinue WSAV 3’s 24/7 local weather channel on WSAV 3.3, which is currently known as WSAV 3 Weather NOW.

Something that I first learned back in April and reported on my blog back when WTGS was starting a news operation.

Well, I only heard about it when WSAV made the official announcement on their website today. Sorry I wasn't aware of your...blog.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Nexstar is about to upgrade WTWO/WAWV to HD. WTWO has posted a few promos on their Facebook talking about "changes coming soon". On air, a some sponsor graphics have been airing in HD, and both stations are using new bugs/tickers. Looking at WTWO's new ticker along with a few other graphics they've been airing here and there, it looks like they'll be using Look G. Not sure about WAWV.

Looks like Nexstar is about to upgrade WTWO/WAWV to HD. WTWO has posted a few promos on their Facebook talking about "changes coming soon". On air, a some sponsor graphics have been airing in HD, and both stations are using new bugs/tickers. Looking at WTWO's new ticker along with a few other graphics they've been airing here and there, it looks like they'll be using Look G. Not sure about WAWV.

Update: Looks like WAWV will be using the WFXR/KMID graphics package. Still no word on when they'll launch.

• 2 weeks later...

Nexstar has really shot themselves in the foot with the lack of live streaming. Even worse, the fact they TOOK IT AWAY from stations that had it before they were sucked up by Nexstar.

It seems like a case-by-case situation, they somehow got one up on WVLA's website during the Baton Rouge officer shooting coverage, but it was absent during flooding coverage. Their competition rolled over them with non-stop streaming coverage.

And now that Hurricane Hermine is about to hit close to Panama City (Apalachicola is in their DMA), WMBB looks like it has had to contract out streaming to another company (Neves Media) to put a stream up on their site via YouTube live.

Situations like these are when live streaming comes in handy....since people need to evacuate, and especially since a tower could be rendered inoperable by the conditions. In fact, WMBB was one of the first stations to live stream their coverage back in 2005 (during Hurricane Dennis).

Over on WJHG and WECP (as well as WCTV), they're set up to stream and it's always been a part of their infrastructure.

This is why I have serious reservations about Nexstar and their takeover of Media General...they just don't get it and are moving their company backwards with moves like these. Sad thing is, the web platforms they've acquired (Inergize) have supported streaming in the past and many livestream (and NewsOn) streams could be eliminated post-merger.

• Like 3

Nexstar has really shot themselves in the foot with the lack of live streaming. Even worse, the fact they TOOK IT AWAY from stations that had it before they were sucked up by Nexstar.

It seems like a case-by-case situation, they somehow got one up on WVLA's website during the Baton Rouge officer shooting coverage, but it was absent during flooding coverage. Their competition rolled over them with non-stop streaming coverage.

And now that Hurricane Hermine is about to hit close to Panama City (Apalachicola is in their DMA), WMBB looks like it has had to contract out streaming to another company (Neves Media) to put a stream up on their site via YouTube live.

Situations like these are when live streaming comes in handy....since people need to evacuate, and especially since a tower could be rendered inoperable by the conditions. In fact, WMBB was one of the first stations to live stream their coverage back in 2005 (during Hurricane Dennis).

Over on WJHG and WECP (as well as WCTV), they're set up to stream and it's always been a part of their infrastructure.

This is why I have serious reservations about Nexstar and their takeover of Media General...they just don't get it and are moving their company backwards with moves like these. Sad thing is, the web platforms they've acquired (Inergize) have supported streaming in the past and many livestream (and NewsOn) streams could be eliminated post-merger.

Then why don't we call or email them about it? I've got their phone number right here from google: 972-373-8800
  • Like 1

So why did WMBB have to use an external company to live-stream their coverage? Here's their response from their facebook page:

So, a little story for you guys.

A week ago one of our servers which handles our internet video and has the ability to stream in emergency situations literally caught fire in one of our racks. A power connection inside had overheated\gone bad\something and melted.

We worked off of a backup system that doesn't have the ability to do live streaming on it, waiting for the replacement. Replacement arrives a day or so ago and doesn't work. Don't know why, but it has an issue.

So Hurricane Hermine is heading towards us and we *know* we have to get a live stream up for you guys, so that if you lose power you can watch. And that's where Neves Media Solutions Group came into play. After a quick phone call to Ryan, he was at the station first thing this morning with a device that we thought would do the trick. After a bit of trial and error, we had a live stream via YouTube.

We'll get our equipment fixed (the part should be here tomorrow, go figure!). But it's nice to know that when we needed a friend to help us out, our friends over at Neves were there.

So from all of us here at WMBB, thanks guys. You helped us serve our viewers today.

It is a good thing they have that capability to stream in emergency situations....this was an unfortunate occurrence that happened to happen before a major event.

For whatever reason, probably well above them by Nexstar Corporate, it's a rarity to see ANY Nexstar stream their newscasts online. WMBB, and other acquisitions used to stream regularly. They are not only missing out on reaching viewers, but by selling online advertising, and giving outside viewers a sampling of their product AND/OR vital information when they are away or unable to watch on TV.

Once the Media General stations come aboard, here's hoping the masses will force Nexstar to abandon their strategy of poorly-named websites and lack of streaming video.

Playing at this level will hopefully change their ways and give the viewers what they want and deserve.

So why did WMBB have to use an external company to live-stream their coverage? Here's their response from their facebook page:

It is a good thing they have that capability to stream in emergency situations....this was an unfortunate occurrence that happened to happen before a major event.

For whatever reason, probably well above them by Nexstar Corporate, it's a rarity to see ANY Nexstar stream their newscasts online. WMBB, and other acquisitions used to stream regularly. They are not only missing out on reaching viewers, but by selling online advertising, and giving outside viewers a sampling of their product AND/OR vital information when they are away or unable to watch on TV.

Once the Media General stations come aboard, here's hoping the masses will force Nexstar to abandon their strategy of poorly-named websites and lack of streaming video.

Playing at this level will hopefully change their ways and give the viewers what they want and deserve.

Then why should you be passive about it? In fact, why should any of us be passive about it?

KLAS streams their newscasts on the NewsON app only for some reason. But I agree, Nexstar is way behind the curve when it comes to streaming newscasts and I can only imagine that this is only helping their competition in the long-run. Hopefully when this merger finally goes though, they just use the web department from Media General since their stations actually knew how to make a decent-looking website with streaming ability.

I don't see live streaming coming back. You know how Mr. Sook and his company is: CONTROL EVERYTHING WE TAKE OVER, by which I mean take the station bare and sloppily re-build it to Nexstar bare standards.

Based on past acquisitions, I feel like that will be the case with the MG stations too.

• Like 2

Situations like these are when live streaming comes in handy....since people need to evacuate, and especially since a tower could be rendered inoperable by the conditions.

Streaming video during a disaster is NOT a good thing in the eyes of many emergency management people. It requires gobs of data that is already straining the cell networks...text messages are a millions time more efficient.

Yes you want people to be safe...but not clogging up the network. Unlocking the FM radio chip in US cellphones would go a long way in reducing the network traffic.

Here is another "new" problem facing emergency personal and cell providers...

Recently in Socal a rural wildfire wiped out the cell tower and made communications very difficult due to the rural area.

An emergency cell site (trailer cell) was established to aid in the problem and lack of data/ voice channels.

Problem solved?????

Nope....

The local and national media rolled in and ate up all those channels with Dejaros and LiveU's...each unit takes up multiple channels 4-6 each and that wiped out the portable cell unit much to the firefighters surprise.

They still don't know exactly how bad the media messed up that situation because there was no "realtime" monitoring of the site at the time. Rest assured the Dejaro situation will have to be addressed soon.

Over The Air (OTA) is still the best and preferred medium when it comes to disaster info.

The DOJ has made a ruling. Nexstar must divest the following stations in order to proceed with their acquisition of Media General.

• WBAY Green Bay, to Gray Television Inc.
  • WSLS Roanoke-Lynchburg, to Graham Holdings
  • KADN and KLAF-LD Lafayette, to Bayou City Broadcasting Lafayette
  • WTHI Terre Haute, to USA Television MidAmerica Holdings
  • WFFT Fort Wayne, to USA Television
  • KWQC Quad Cities, to Gray Television

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/97455/justice-nexstar-must-divest-7-stations

The DOJ has made a ruling. Nexstar must divest the following stations in order to proceed with their acquisition of Media General.

• WBAY Green Bay, to Gray Television Inc.
  • WSLS Roanoke-Lynchburg, to Graham Holdings
  • KADN and KLAF-LD Lafayette, to Bayou City Broadcasting Lafayette
  • WTHI Terre Haute, to USA Television MidAmerica Holdings
  • WFFT Fort Wayne, to USA Television
  • KWQC Quad Cities, to Gray Television

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/97455/justice-nexstar-must-divest-7-stations

A little odd that the DOJ chose to make this ruling on account of the fact that Nexstar already agreed to sell those stations to the aforementioned owners weeks ago, incidentally to garner DOJ and FCC approval of its merger with Media General.

Oh boy.

I hope WISH and/or WNDY is divested soon, otherwise you can see WISH's ratings (if any left) go buh-bye, as well as even more staff.

Doubtful they'll do that. Even with the divestitures they chose to make, they would be just enough under the market cap where it would be able to keep WISH/WNDY. Not to mention that there is no ownership conflicts between MG and Nexstar in Indianapolis, so...

The HD launch for WTWO/WAWV is another step closer. They're now broadcasting on a temporary set. WTWO got their set in 2010 and WAWV got their set in 2011 when they switched from FOX to ABC, so I'm not sure if there will be brand new sets for each station or if it's a refresh.

The HD launch for WTWO/WAWV is another step closer. They're now broadcasting on a temporary set. WTWO got their set in 2010 and WAWV got their set in 2011 when they switched from FOX to ABC, so I'm not sure if there will be brand new sets for each station or if it's a refresh.

It had better be a refresh; WTWO has now become Nexstar's ugly duckling since KMID and WMBD have both been refreshed.

• Like 1

It had better be a refresh; WTWO has now become Nexstar's ugly duckling since KMID and WMBD have both been refreshed.

You want an ugly duckling? WIVT is in that category. I mean, Television by Design did a great package, but it's so old there are people in college who are younger than that look.

WIVT is a "blow up and start from scratch". Nexstar can do it. They've proven that before.

• Like 4

I've been recording WTWO's morning and WAWV's midday newscast to watch for changes since I work during the day. I watched both earlier and they started using the temporary set during WAWV's News at Noon. They mentioned a new look and set would be coming to both stations within the next few weeks. Didn't mention a single thing about going HD though(at least during that broadcast) which surprised me. I figured they'd be promoting it every chance they got, especially with how many people complain on their Facebook page.

WDHN and KQTV are a few others that come to mind along with WIVT that need major work. Sadly, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

• Like 1

WDHN and KQTV are a few others that come to mind along with WIVT that need major work. Sadly, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

KQTV is being sold to Bob Prather's USA Television along with the aforementioned WTHI and WFFT, as well as KIMT. So if KQTV is getting a refresh it won't be made by Nexstar.